Players coming to end of contract

Gritty

Inexperience? He has probably been involved in the game for about 40 years but our fans know more about the game than him?

I'm assuming all training sessions should have been cancelled in the lead up to the game? And players banned from going in their cars in case they crashed?

How many players have we had break legs in games in the last 10 years? Have a think about that before suggesting that this was something that was likely to happen.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Thorne isn't worth a new contract unless on a lot less wages. I wouldn't extend bent or bairds contract. They'll be on big money which means we'll be able to bring in 3 or 4 better younger players 

Baird and bent doin great jobs lately, fair play to them for turning it round. I wouldn't give either a new deal though, would hope we could recruit better either in January or the summer. They've done their job and has worked out well for everyone.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Inexperience? He has probably been involved in the game for about 40 years but our fans know more about the game than him?

I'm assuming all training sessions should have been cancelled in the lead up to the game? And players banned from going in their cars in case they crashed?

How many players have we had break legs in games in the last 10 years? Have a think about that before suggesting that this was something that was likely to happen.

Exactly mate. Wassall is experience more than any of us anyway.

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Inexperience as a manager then. He made rookie mistakes time and time again that not even I would make. Says a lot for 40 years of experience that he made a mistake that not even a rookie manager would make. Steve Bruce rested his most important players before the play offs, do know why that is? Because he knew that the games before the play offs were irrelevant and he was proved to be correct as they won the play offs. Everyone knows that Ipswich are rough and dirty, especially under Mick Mcarthy so why even take the chance? I would have rested the key players in our team like Hughes,Keogh,Thorne,Martin and Ince before the play offs. The spine of the team is the most important of any side so was vital that each and every one of them had a nice rest and 100%

Experianced youth team coach... inexperienced as a manager. 

And as a manager you should manage your players including fitness. 

George Thorne is injury prone. Fair enough he broke a leg that could happen to anybody but why risk it. Any top manager would rest their best players before a big game. You wouldnt find the big boys playing their best 11 in the league before a champions league final or semi final. The principle is the same

Thorne wants easing back in the side, build his fitness back up otherwise he will break down again  

So Wassall is inexperienced as a manager so should have listened to our fans with absolutely no experience of managing a football team. Makes sense.

I guess we should have just forefeited the game and not bothered playing.

Why would you want to get a win under your belt and make sure your players are fit and raring to go.

Anyone remember Brian Clough resting his best players before one of the biggest games in our clubs history? 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So is Christie contacted to us next season or is he not as it does rather affect weather we sell him sharpish or extend Baird deal 

Steve Nicholson been told few weeks ago that Christie contract runs out 2018 so I believe him more than that site. Not sure about extending Baird deal yet tbh. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

G star it was common sense. You would have rested him in what was essentially a meaningless game. Hull rested we didn't we lost they went up. End of.

Just now, Ninos said:

G star it was common sense. You would have rested him in what was essentially a meaningless game. Hull rested we didn't we lost they went up. End of.

Not that common because otherwise would still not be agreeing with Wassalls decision now.

Where did you draw the line when deciding who should and should not have played?

And yes there was still something to play for, home advantage in the second leg.

Hull did not go up purely because Thorne broke his leg in my humble opinion.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not that common because otherwise would still not be agreeing with Wassalls decision now.

Where did you draw the line when deciding who should and should not have played?

And yes there was still something to play for, home advantage in the second leg.

Hull did not go up purely because Thorne broke his leg in my humble opinion.

Of course not but they wouldn't have crushed us at home with GT anchoring. No way. And who won the home game in the second leg? Not much of an advantage. I was disappointed when I saw the team selection. Contrast his decision making with Bruce. Thorne had been overworked going into that game. As I recall he'd been getting rest here and there. Dw made a bad choice and we paid a high price. I just hope he can start to get a grip with the U23s because from what I've seen they have little plan. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Inexperience as a manager then. He made rookie mistakes time and time again that not even I would make. Says a lot for 40 years of experience that he made a mistake that not even a rookie manager would make. Steve Bruce rested his most important players before the play offs, do know why that is? Because he knew that the games before the play offs were irrelevant and he was proved to be correct as they won the play offs. Everyone knows that Ipswich are rough and dirty, especially under Mick Mcarthy so why even take the chance? I would have rested the key players in our team like Hughes,Keogh,Thorne,Martin and Ince before the play offs. The spine of the team is the most important of any side so was vital that each and every one of them had a nice rest and 100%

Ipswich weren't dirty. It was a block that broke his leg

He made less rookie mistakes than Nigel Pearson 

You know there was a week between Ipswich and Hull. But just days between the 1st leg and 2nd leg. Did we look like we were tired in that 2nd leg?

Thorne didn't break his leg due to tiredness or a dirty game. He broke it having a shot blocked. 

You know in 2014 against Leeds we played these guys

Grant, Wisdom, Forsyth, Keogh, Eustace, Hendrick, Hughes, Dawkins

Would you say any of these were key players? 

21 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Of course not but they wouldn't have crushed us at home with GT anchoring. No way. And who won the home game in the second leg? Not much of an advantage. I was disappointed when I saw the team selection. Contrast his decision making with Bruce. Thorne had been overworked going into that game. As I recall he'd been getting rest here and there. Dw made a bad choice and we paid a high price. I just hope he can start to get a grip with the U23s because from what I've seen they have little plan. 

I thought MM was picking the team last season anyway. So let's blame him ????

21 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I assume without Thorne we didn't win at their place either then...oh wait...

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I assume without Thorne we didn't win at their place either then...oh wait...

They had a 3-0 lead. They didn't come out to play just to give up two goals or less. They achieved their objective. 

My point was that I seriously doubt whether you yourself would have played Thorne. I have more faith that the average Derby fan or football fan would make a better decision than that one.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ipswich weren't dirty. It was a block that broke his leg

He made less rookie mistakes than Nigel Pearson 

You know there was a week between Ipswich and Hull. But just days between the 1st leg and 2nd leg. Did we look like we were tired in that 2nd leg?

Thorne didn't break his leg due to tiredness or a dirty game. He broke it having a shot blocked. 

You know in 2014 against Leeds we played these guys

Grant, Wisdom, Forsyth, Keogh, Eustace, Hendrick, Hughes, Dawkins

Would you say any of these were key players? 

I think you're missing the point I was making mate. Thorne's injury could have happened to anyone at any time, Im not disputing that, but the fact is if Thorne had not played that dead rubber game, we could have been in the premier league now. Ipswich are well known for being physical so why risk any of the likes of Hughes,Thorne,Martin,Ince or Keogh in a dead rubber game with nothing to gain and everything to lose. They may have not been physical in that game but why even risk it? It was common sense really. Being at home in a second leg doesn't make any difference nowadays. There may have been a week between the games but why risk it? Players could have picked up hamstring injuries or anything in that Ipswich game. Brucy got it right, we didn't. 

Archived