Players coming to end of contract

Gritty

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I didn't want Thorne rested v Ipswich. The last game before the play offs I wanted us to go into the Hull game as buzzing as possible. Plus Thorne is here to play when fit. Can't keep protecting him because of his injury record. If he's fit then he should be playing. 

He broke his leg having a shot blocked.

I'd like to see him stay but I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be. When he played under Clement for a while he was so slow. He had a turning circle of Mercedes Sprinter. He had a few games where he just couldn't do what he was so good at because he was way off the pace. Wolves away was like watching a ship play there

I was a huuuuge fan at one time. But after these injuries (which are terribly unlucky) I just think he needs to prove himself again. I think he's quite lucky to still be so highly rated as I don't think he was that good in the Clement season. He was good. But not good enough to think "We must do everything possible to get Thorne in that role"

He needs to get fit and prove to us over the next 15 months or whatever that he's still the beast from 2014. 

That is such a good post (probably because I agree with all of it ) The "Beast" from 2014 wasn't rapid but he was sharp enough and for me was the best midfield general at this level AND young too. 

The last time he was playing though, he was constantly having to use his skill to correct his own mistakes .. Not a problem because most of the time he succeeded but it took the edge off the exceptional player we had all grown to love. 

He was incredibly unlucky with the leg break athough I suspect this will have given his knees and ligaments time to toughen up without undue stress and we might just get back the full package which would be fantastic. What price having GT in full flow with Will who has grown up big time in the last 2 years and then having BJ / Bryson / Butters taking the spare place or covering. ? ... I am in such a happy clappy place :cool:......... at the moment 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me I'd do the following:

Christie - offer another couple of years, but look for an improvement, depending on the league we are in. I know some people are over Wisdom, but I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Baird - RELEASE - done supremely well since he's come in, but we could and will replace with better.

Bent - one year extension, best striker we have currently, goalscorer, and if we are still in the championship next year, will be an asset.

Shackle - saleable, again if not in the Prem would accept a reasonable offer. 

Pearce - no brainer, offer an extension, 2 years.

Forsyth - extension regardless of injury, THE most improved player I've seen since watching DCFC in the mid nineties. 

Thorne - extension - match winner and a rare gem in the position he plays, he will come back stronger and fitter and become a pivotal player for DCFC int he next 5 years int my opinion. 

Hughes (obviously re-sign) - OBVIOUSLY

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did you see anything from him during his time here that would make you think otherwise?

Simply because it didn't work out for Pearson here doesn't equal his cannot coach or doesn't know his arsse from his elbow.

I remember a certain Mac being asked when he got the sack by the idiots what went wrong, he said " I tried to change too much too soon".

23 hours ago, feisty said:

According to this (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-county/kader/verein/22/saison_id/2016) the following players are out of contract at the end of this season 

• Christie (seems to not want to re-sign? Maybe thinks he can get a Prem team? If so, we need a new RB)
  • Baird (Played well and would give him one more year but we still need another RB)
  • Bent (Played well and would give him one more year)

and the following players are out of contract at the end of next season so we need to think about new contracts for them:

• Shackell (Saleable asset who isn't getting a game right now and won't re-sign if he isn't playing. So sell in summer if still in Champ as we can use the money in other areas)
  • Pearce (re-sign)
  • Forsyth (unsure how much his injury will have impacted him. Would be content to wait until late Autumn and then re-sign if over injury)
  • Thorne (I do not believe we can justify the wages on a guy that never plays. That said, I doubt anyone will pay a fee for someone with such a poor injury record so I would keep him for another year and then maybe offer him a pay-as-you-play deal. Take it or leave it.  Harsh but that's football. I realise he's a brilliant player on his day. But injuries have wrecked his time with us.  He's only been fit for 3/4 of one season of the 3 he's been here)
  • Hanson (re-sign. He should play as backup to Johnson in my view)
  • Hughes (obviouly re-sign)
  • Russell (Sell. I'm not convinced he's the best Left Winger we have so I'd take the cash in a position that is already overloaded)

The only point I would make is that with Thorne it doesn't matter to us financially if he's injured so would be silly not offering him an extension. Our insurance covers wages of injured players I believe, though somebody can correct me if I'm wrong? 

Archived