Which footballer retiring made you feel old?

Day

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a few of my heroes growing up, like Zanetti,Maldini,Ronaldo,Nedved,Crespo,     Ballack,Scholes, Oliver Khan

the late 90s/ early 2000s was a great era for football. We are obviously treated to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo now but I can't help but feel there were more world class players around in that era, particularly more world class defenders.

Players like Maldini are like 15 years older than myself so I never really felt it the same way as Michael Owen, watching him tear Argentina a new one only a couple years older than myself was nuts. It's the similar age that does it, not aging superstars retiring 

13 minutes ago, David said:

Players like Maldini are like 15 years older than myself so I never really felt it the same way as Michael Owen, watching him tear Argentina a new one only a couple years older than myself was nuts. It's the similar age that does it, not aging superstars retiring 

Now I feel old, talking of PM

Works the other way for me. I see a players DOB and see its 1993 and think wow still young... wait a minute... That's not particularly young in the football world. 

Where are all the players born in the mid 80's!!! When did that stop??

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Works the other way for me. I see a players DOB and see its 1993 and think wow still young... wait a minute... That's not particularly young in the football world. 

Where are all the players born in the mid 80's!!! When did that stop??

From mid 80-s you need yo check for CB's and for even older, keepers. Jääskeläinen was born -75, still playing for Wigan...

5 hours ago, Dimmu said:

From mid 80-s you need yo check for CB's and for even older, keepers. Jääskeläinen was born -75, still playing for Wigan...

That makes it more depressing! I want people to talk about Will Hughes and Google to say he was born in 85

Everyone born in the 90's should be playing for park teams still

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

That makes it more depressing! I want people to talk about Will Hughes and Google to say he was born in 85

Everyone born in the 90's should be playing for park teams still

I know the feeling. Even worse it is when your realize your working colleague was born -95 and is getting another, planned, child. WTF?!

21! She could be my daughter FFS.

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

I cant believe Darren bent hasnt retired.

is he really only 31 or 32?

Seems to have been around for ever.... and must be about the only footballer left (except GKs) who i saw play at the BBG.

Bent was 12 when the BBG had it's last game.

Archived