Favourite sport apart from Football ...

Perky1106

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 01:51, eddie said:

When you were little, you had a sports encyclopedia - but all the pages fell out except for 'F'.

Except I tend to call Association Football 'soccer' like the colonial heathen I am. When I was little, I liked cricket, tennis, baseball and hockey too. But, as I got older, I realised how deathly boring cricket is....whereas tennis has just become boring...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Synchronised swimming.

absolutely enthralling.

(would be better if they allowed tackling though).

or that thing at the Olympics where some 9 year old skips around with a ribbon.

really really interesting.

• 1 month later...

Space Polo.  It's like Water Polo, except instead of swimming players wear a jet pack and play in a weightless environment.  The tournaments take place at an undisclosed disused Soviet space station orbiting Venus in divisions of twenty teams from around the galaxy.  Current defending champions Kripplers from Kepler 22b are my favorite team.  Some say that having five arms and two belly buttons is cheating, but in reality envy is an ugly thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking part in, I love Football (not necessarily any good at it) and Triathlon.

I'll watch most sports apart from Golf, Criket and any of the American ones - too slow paced for me. Like Ice Hockey when it's on, it's so easy to appreciate how skillful they all are.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sith Happens
On 21/05/2016 at 19:22, bigbullsteve said:

Not read entire thread so not sure it's been said already but Valentino rossi is a god and footballers could learn a thing or two from moto gp riders they crash at 180mph and get up and try and carry on a 

I love MotoGP and wanted rossi to win last year, but he wasnt very god like when he gave marquez a nudge with his knee to deliberately knock him off.

Went down in my estimation a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Horseracing. American horseracing in particular. The trainers, the riders, the grounds, the history. All the personalities and characters (be that human or equine) that surround it. All the stories, names, legends, famous announcer stretch calls. Love it. 

American racing has been slowly losing its appeal, romance and fans for a while now, but recently the sport has done a very good job with its marketing, boosting the image of its famous tracks around the country by airing all the big races on huge TV networks like NBC, by hosting the Breeders Cup in a new location each year (Santa Anita, Keeneland, Churchill), music festivals like the InfieldFest at Pimlico (Baltimore), and summer festivals following the Triple Crown season (like the "Summer at Saratoga" series).

They've also done a good job promoting / airing all the big prep races on TV during the early spring months using a new "Win and You're In" slogan / points system that appeals to any casual viewers- a horse winning one of these prep races earns a guaranteed spot in the Kentucky Derby starting gate come May.

The female side of racing has also been given a massive boost- the Kentucky Oaks (K.Derby for fillies) now gets hours of coverage the day before the Derby, aired on NBC, as well as the Black-Eyed-Susan Stakes the day before the Preakness.

Even the workouts and breezes are given an hour of coverage / discussion two days before any of the big Triple Crown or Breeders Cup racedays (whereas in the past it just used to be extra NASCAR coverage or something). And of course now with the big names such as American Pharoah, Zenyatta, and Rachel Alexandra getting national press in recent years, I'm hoping the passion for this sport is rekindled in the US and earns itself a new generation of fans :)   

• 3 months later...

Archived