Best goal this season

Mafiabob

Which goal was better?  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I honestly think Sidwell's is my least favourite from that SkySports collection. Obviously requires a great deal of awareness and decent technique to get it up and over the goalie from such a distance. But having said that, I could probably get lucky and do similar in a Sunday league game, given the space. Goalie's kick a ball like that at every goal kick and we're not all sat here drooling over their technique.

It's between Bent for us and Foristieri for the Wendies, easy. The Sheff Wednesday goal was a beautiful team move, but for the little dinked assist from Hughes and the first first volley on the move from Bent... It's surely gotta go to our boys?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

I honestly think Sidwell's is my least favourite from that SkySports collection. Obviously requires a great deal of awareness and decent technique to get it up and over the goalie from such a distance. But having said that, I could probably get lucky and do similar in a Sunday league game, given the space. Goalie's kick a ball like that at every goal kick and we're not all sat here drooling over their technique.

It's between Bent for us and Foristieri for the Wendies, easy. The Sheff Wednesday goal was a beautiful team move, but for the little dinked assist from Hughes and the first first volley on the move from Bent... It's surely gotta go to our boys?

Couldn't you say the same about Bents volley? 

An average person would shin that 99 times out of 100. Darren Bent might shin it 9 times out of 10. Van Persie might score half the time.

3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

An average person would shin that 99 times out of 100. Darren Bent might shin it 9 times out of 10. Van Persie might score half the time.

Sidwell's required vision and that's about it. He kicked the ball about 40 yards, not that impressive, all professionals can do that. It was a good goal but he had a half-empty goal and the keeper fell over. Bent's required vision and ingenuity from Hughes, then exquisite technique from Bent to do something that not many professionals can do - strike the ball that sweetly almost blindly as it drops over your shoulder. Bent's goal is better than Sidwell's in every possible way.

16 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

If I swing at a ball in mid air whilst running (EDIT: particularly when it's dropping over my shoulder) I can guarantee you I'm less likely to strike it, with the laces, accurately into the top corner of a goal 20 yards away.

If I sidefoot a rolling ball on the floor in front of me I know I can hit it more accurately, regardless of distance. 

I understand and indeed applaud your cynicism as it's usually my standpoint. But I feel my point genuinely holds water in this case. 

31 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Sidwell's required vision and that's about it. He kicked the ball about 40 yards, not that impressive, all professionals can do that. It was a good goal but he had a half-empty goal and the keeper fell over. Bent's required vision and ingenuity from Hughes, then exquisite technique from Bent to do something that not many professionals can do - strike the ball that sweetly almost blindly as it drops over your shoulder. Bent's goal is better than Sidwell's in every possible way.

No Sidwells required accuracy too. I said at the time it's like hitting the thermal exhaust port on the Death Star to score from distance. People don't seem to appreciate how small a target it is lobbing the keeper from the halfway line. And when you do it in a match it's not like crossbar challenge when you've got time for a Johnny Wilkinson style run up. Yes the keeper fell over so he didn't have to get it right under the crossbar. And if Bent managed to get his volley in the top corner instead of right next to the keeper that would make it easier to judge which was better. 

If Sidwell did that all the time time then he'd be like footballs version of Steph Curry. But he doesn't do it all the time just as Bent doesn't score volleys all the time. There was probably an element of fortune to both goals. 

21 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

If I swing at a ball in mid air whilst running (EDIT: particularly when it's dropping over my shoulder) I can guarantee you I'm less likely to strike it, with the laces, accurately into the top corner of a goal 20 yards away.

If I sidefoot a rolling ball on the floor in front of me I know I can hit it more accurately, regardless of distance. 

I understand and indeed applaud your cynicism as it's usually my standpoint. But I feel my point genuinely holds water in this case. 

Bent didn't manage to strike it in the top corner either.

6 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

No Sidwells required accuracy too. I said at the time it's like hitting the thermal exhaust port on the Death Star to score from distance. People don't seem to appreciate how small a target it is lobbing the keeper from the halfway line. And when you do it in a match it's not like crossbar challenge when you've got time for a Johnny Wilkinson style run up. Yes the keeper fell over so he didn't have to get it right under the crossbar. And if Bent managed to get his volley in the top corner instead of right next to the keeper that would make it easier to judge which was better. 

If Sidwell did that all the time time then he'd be like footballs version of Steph Curry. But he doesn't do it all the time just as Bent doesn't score volleys all the time. There was probably an element of fortune to both goals. 

Technically, Bent's was a harder goal. If you can kick the ball 40 yards, you'd have a chance to score that goal. The keeper fell over. If he didn't, it wouldn't have gone in. It was a good goal, don't get me wrong, but I'd say it was more hit and hope. Goalkeepers have scored from 80 yards before, doesn't make it goal of the month. I just think Bent's was much better all round and beats Sidwell's hands down for me.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Technically, Bent's was a harder goal. If you can kick the ball 40 yards, you'd have a chance to score that goal. The keeper fell over. If he didn't, it wouldn't have gone in. It was a good goal, don't get me wrong, but I'd say it was more hit and hope. Goalkeepers have scored from 80 yards before, doesn't make it goal of the month. I just think Bent's was much better all round and beats Sidwell's hands down for me.

I've not got a strong opinion on which was better really. I'd probably take Bents as it was more asthaetically pleasing. But if you're saying the keeper fell over as a disparagement to Sidwells goal but not taking into account that keeper almost got to Bents volley as he hit it fairly central then you're not comparing them fairly.

Any player can score from 40 yards if they can kick it 40 yards you're right. But any player with two legs can take a wild swing and strike the ball 20 yards. Therefore any player could have scored that volley. Some would score it more than others (like Van Persie). I'm not aware of Darren Bent having a reputation for great volleys so I've no reason to believe that any luck that was involved in Sidwell's goal wasn't also there for Bent's.

Bents goal just edges it for me. Him winning the ball, working his socks off for the team, Hughsey doing the same, non stop graft then both having the skill to execute such an exquisite pass and finish.

The greatest players always work their b ollocks off. Its what makes them great.

Baird to Ince is very, very close, exquisite pass and superb finish.

We've got that ability in the squad and hopefully Steve will continue to encourage it.

59 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Personally from experience I have scored 3 goals like Sidwell's and had a team mate that scored 8 goals one season straight from kick off.

Never managed one quite like Bent's or been on the pitch when a player has scored one like it.

26 minutes ago, rynny said:

Personally from experience I have scored 3 goals like Sidwell's and had a team mate that scored 8 goals one season straight from kick off.

Never managed one quite like Bent's or been on the pitch when a player has scored one like it.

I have but from 10 yards rather than 20.

Bent's no question.

Ince's goal was very very good, and Baird's pass was Thorne-esque levels of lovely, he wriggled past the defenders and clinically dispatched it.

Just that Bent's had that aesthetic beauty about it.

Johnson's goal was a good goal to, significant and well taken, but, he's going to knock five of them in this season.

Even though Bent's is a better goal, I've had to vote for Ince. 

Ince's is more than just a beautiful goal, it's a beautiful moment in all our lives that will be replayed over and over again for years to come.

The occasion, the opposition, the fact Baird's perfectly threaded the needle from about 30 yards away, the slow realisation we were about to score as Ince ruined Michael Mancienne's life, the Messi-esque dink, the fact I was there, the south stand turning into a sea of limbs and the massive bruise I've got on my shin from smashing into the seat in front of me celebrating it.

I was hanging out my arse on a sofa at home for that Bent goal, I still lost my mind but this weekend was just something that transcends normal football.

3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Even though Bent's is a better goal, I've had to vote for Ince. 

Ince's is more than just a beautiful goal, it's a beautiful moment in all our lives that will be replayed over and over again for years to come.

The occasion, the opposition, the fact Baird's perfectly threaded the needle from about 30 yards away, the slow realisation we were about to score as Ince ruined Michael Mancienne's life, the Messi-esque dink, the fact I was there, the south stand turning into a sea of limbs and the massive bruise I've got on my shin from smashing into the seat in front of me celebrating it.

I was hanging out my arse on a sofa at home for that Bent goal, I still lost my mind but this weekend was just something that transcends normal football.

Although I voted for the Bent goal, this is a beautiful description of the Ince goal and well worth consideration:) 

5 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

If that's the only counter argument you have then I rest my case.

I've said other things in other posts and I don't see the point in repeating them. I think, when people are saying the keeper fell over about Sidwell's goal, meaning he didn't have to get it right under the bar, then that's fair enough. But only if they acknowledge it then becomes perfectly reasonable to point out that Bent seemed to hit his shot in the general direction of the goal rather than accurately tonk it in the top or bottom corner. If accuracy is a valid criticism of Sidwell's goal then it's a valid criticism of Bents. 

Straight draw for me, Ince for a beautiful goal in the most important moment, Bent for the dink from Will followed by the classic top corner over the shoulder volley, both sublime, let's hope we're talking about some others for Derby goal of the season in a few months time.

Archived