Best goal this season

Mafiabob

Which goal was better?  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I've said other things in other posts and I don't see the point in repeating them. I think, when people are saying the keeper fell over about Sidwell's goal, meaning he didn't have to get it right under the bar, then that's fair enough. But only if they acknowledge it then becomes perfectly reasonable to point out that Bent seemed to hit his shot in the general direction of the goal rather than accurately tonk it in the top or bottom corner. If accuracy is a valid criticism of Sidwell's goal then it's a valid criticism of Bents. 

Accuracy in the case of Sidwell's goal is based on the fact that he hit the whole goal as a target more than Bent's. Bent was so much closer, therefore the keeper was more able to defend more of his goal, therefore it had to be a more accurate/powerful shot with greater technique to beat the keeper. The point being that accuracy is far easier to get right when the ball is on the ground in front of you than when it's in the air and has dropped over the shoulder. As for the time to take the shot, Bent was certainly under as much pressure as Sidwell. 

I've said other things in other posts and I don't see the point in repeating them

I haven't read all the posts I'm afraid, only replied to your response to mine. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Accuracy in the case of Sidwell's goal is based on the fact that he hit the whole goal as a target more than Bent's. Bent was so much closer, therefore the keeper was more able to defend more of his goal, therefore it had to be a more accurate/powerful shot with greater technique to beat the keeper. The point being that accuracy is far easier to get right when the ball is on the ground in front of you than when it's in the air and has dropped over the shoulder. As for the time to take the shot, Bent was certainly under as much pressure as Sidwell. 

I've said other things in other posts and I don't see the point in repeating them

I haven't read all the posts I'm afraid, only replied to your response to mine. 

Well that's true that the keeper can cover more of his goal but from a central position 20 yards out you'd fancy a striker to score if the ball was on the floor more so than a midfielder from the halfway line so I'm not sure if the keeper closing down his angles is a good argument, especially as the Wolves keeper was mostly beaten with the power of the volley - another benefit of shooting closer to the goal. Bents goal being a volley makes it more difficult certainly, not disputing that. But the goal is much smaller for Sidwell as he's shooting from the halfway line.

If we're giving Bent credit for putting power on the shot then also worth considering is that Bent was running onto the ball which was dropping with virtually no pace on it at all. People say it's a hard technique and it is. But it's a lot harder when the balls been whipped in at pace where you have to weigh up putting pace on or cushioning it, a difficult technique in its own right. Also the pace of a fast through ball or cross increases the likelihood of shanking it. But for Bent Hughes' perfect pass just invited him to wallop it. It was almost like it happened in slow motion until he spanked it.

I prefer Bents goal. I just think people talking about Sidwell 'essentially hoofing it' are talking rubbish.

Bent  Bent Bent ! 

That was something you take to a desert island with you and watch every time the plane flies over not seeing your SOS in pebbles on the beach .. 

Outta this league ,, better than anything you'll see in the prem this season .. 

Hughes' little dink as a set up was from the Gods. 

Archived