can derby charge for promotion

B4ev6is

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long way to go. 2 months ago, I'd have said we were staring down a long hard winter and top half looked a million miles away. Now we'd all be disappointed from here if we don't finish top 6. Keep winning and see where it takes us...it's bloody enjoyable at the moment.

5 hours ago, jagerbob said:

B4 is overdreaming again i see, just like last season!

if Derby carry this on to the rest of the season, then there is a fair chance we could match Newcastle and Brightons points totals between now and May. Doing that and overhauling another 10 points is a different matter entirely and i think unrealistic. It would need a leicester city sort of miracle.

As i said on another post, brighton and burnley lost a total of 5 games last season in 46. We had lost 5, before McClaren had even got through the PPS door this season.

Given our start, I think a playoff place would be a great achievment, and will be interesting to see how we fair. i think Villa and Fulham will be challenging the top 6 soon too,

To those who say we can't catch newcastle, they need to remember that newcastle lost their last game to forest. And forest were absolute dog poo today.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

To those who say we can't catch newcastle, they need to remember that newcastle lost their last game to forest. And forest were absolute dog poo today.

Yes but forest cheated Newcastle out the game if Newcastle had kept 11 on the pitch for 90 mins no way forest would've won. :) 

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I starting to believe the mighty derby county can make a charge up the table and take over top spot and most of all we have not conceaded many goals since steve

Mac returned and maybe finnish the job he started. Well maybe the dream i had maybe means this i am not sure.

But i starting to dream we can win the league but there is a long way to go before this happens. But do feel we need one or two reforcements in certain areas.

Come on you rams.

For the love of god stop jinxing us!

We are third favourites with the bookies now, and odds-on (4/5) to finish top 6. But the difference in odds between us and Newcastle and Brighton is vast. For promotion it goes:

• Newcastle 1/16
  • Brighton 2/5
  • SUPER RAMS 7/2
  • Norwich 4/1

For a top 2 finish it's:

• Newcastle 1/10
  • Brighton 4/7
  • SUPER RAMS 9/1
  • Norwich 11/1

So, B4 is right we can charge for promotion. As we've all said, the only way that can be a charge for automatic is if something catastrophic happens to one of the top 2. However well we think we're doing, Newcastle and Brighton are out-performing us and pulling even further clear in the 10-game form table. But neither has been under any pressure this season and there is a chance that they could become nervous. Given Brighton came so close last year, they won't want to be chased but they do have a huge cushion.

As an aside, for those who bet on the Rams, the you can still get better than evens with Sky "to make the playoffs":

• SUPER RAMS 11/10
  • Norwich 11/10
  • Wendies 6/5
  • Villa 7/5

Note Brighton are 12/5 and Newcastle 11/1 in that market.

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

9 men though. and 10 points plus all the teams around us still means i dont think we can overtake them.

As always though.... the league positions of everyone will be decided in the games between each other. Beat or get a draw against  all your promotion rivals then its happy days.

So it with burnley last year, and watford the year before that.

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

Top 2 is beyond us now. We are relying on Brighton losing a number of games and us carrying on this magnificent form which is this league is very difficult. We should be looking to consolidate our position in the play offs now(something I didn't expect to say this time 3 months ago) and not fall away like the teams around us have like Norwich and Huddersfield. 

Disagree. On our form AND with this incredible defensive Corps we have, there really is no stopping us - not autos not second not first. That said, I think that we need to completely forget about promotion and just keep improving and seriously worrying about the next game. We've table watched every year - even mcclaren has - and it's just not the year to be doing that. If we keep doing what we are doing with the players working as hard as they are doing the outcome will be very satisfying. The strong defence coupled with the endeavour and a brave attacking mentality are all keys to winning this league. 

I don't give a monkeys about the table if the team plays as hard and as clever as that every game ! 

11 hours ago, irobinson said:

i saw a bit of the old magic coming back - pinging balls around the box etc....

Secret in turning from a top 6 to top 2  - would be two good signings - when you are doing well - enhance the squad...

think carefully who they are though and what position

personally i would buy a top striker...and one other

I'd just tell Fulham that martin's price has risen to 12 + the other 3, take it or leave it.

f*** em.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We are third favourites with the bookies now, and odds-on (4/5) to finish top 6. But the difference in odds between us and Newcastle and Brighton is vast. For promotion it goes:

• Newcastle 1/16
  • Brighton 2/5
  • SUPER RAMS 7/2
  • Norwich 4/1

For a top 2 finish it's:

• Newcastle 1/10
  • Brighton 4/7
  • SUPER RAMS 9/1
  • Norwich 11/1

So, B4 is right we can charge for promotion. As we've all said, the only way that can be a charge for automatic is if something catastrophic happens to one of the top 2. However well we think we're doing, Newcastle and Brighton are out-performing us and pulling even further clear in the 10-game form table. But neither has been under any pressure this season and there is a chance that they could become nervous. Given Brighton came so close last year, they won't want to be chased but they do have a huge cushion.

As an aside, for those who bet on the Rams, the you can still get better than evens with Sky "to make the playoffs":

• SUPER RAMS 11/10
  • Norwich 11/10
  • Wendies 6/5
  • Villa 7/5

Note Brighton are 12/5 and Newcastle 11/1 in that market.

Surprised to see Norwich there too. One win in last 9 games is pretty horrendous form if you're pushing for promotion.

To get to an average of 2pts per game, we would need to win the next 8 games (unlikely). Every game we draw you need to add an extra win to the 8. Every loss you need to add 2 wins to that 8. Sadly at the moment Newcastle and Brighton are surpassing 2pts per game, but a long way to go. We've still got some work to do to undo the damage from the start of the season, but it'll be fun doing it.

So as the guys above said, one game at a time and count down from the 8, no need to look at the table.

January looks a BIG month for Derby with games against norwich, leeds, ipswich away and reading burton at home. If we can continue december strongly then momentum will be key. If we can get the gap between top 2 down to single figures by End of january - then game on and hopefully watch brighton wobble! 

Irrespective of our poor start,it was always going to be an ask for automatic promotion,

Dont see us out of our depth competing against any one in the play offs and on current form probably 1 of three teams in the league that other teams will want to avoid .Bring on Qpr  for another 3 points

15 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Surprised to see Norwich there too. One win in last 9 games is pretty horrendous form if you're pushing for promotion.

You could have said the same about us based on our first 9 games. We've just had our good form later, they had theirs earlier. No reason to believe their form won't improve from a neutral's perspective.

Archived