can derby charge for promotion

B4ev6is

I starting to believe the mighty derby county can make a charge up the table and take over top spot and most of all we have not conceaded many goals since steve

Mac returned and maybe finnish the job he started. Well maybe the dream i had maybe means this i am not sure.

But i starting to dream we can win the league but there is a long way to go before this happens. But do feel we need one or two reforcements in certain areas.

Come on you rams.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 2 is beyond us now. We are relying on Brighton losing a number of games and us carrying on this magnificent form which is this league is very difficult. We should be looking to consolidate our position in the play offs now(something I didn't expect to say this time 3 months ago) and not fall away like the teams around us have like Norwich and Huddersfield. 

i saw a bit of the old magic coming back - pinging balls around the box etc....

Secret in turning from a top 6 to top 2  - would be two good signings - when you are doing well - enhance the squad...

think carefully who they are though and what position

personally i would buy a top striker...and one other

Next few games look awfully big opportunities now.

Going unbeaten or even taking 2 wins and a defeat in our next 3 would put us in an unbelievable place mentally, and probably 4th in the table.

In the week, Leeds are playing Reading and Norwich play Villa, and then next weekend when we take on a good Fulham team while Birmingham play Brighton and Hudds come up against Norwich. Newcastle v Wednesday on Boxing Day looks potentially significant as well - it will either see points dropped at the top, or a play-off rival looking shaky.

B4 is overdreaming again i see, just like last season!

if Derby carry this on to the rest of the season, then there is a fair chance we could match Newcastle and Brightons points totals between now and May. Doing that and overhauling another 10 points is a different matter entirely and i think unrealistic. It would need a leicester city sort of miracle.

As i said on another post, brighton and burnley lost a total of 5 games last season in 46. We had lost 5, before McClaren had even got through the PPS door this season.

Given our start, I think a playoff place would be a great achievment, and will be interesting to see how we fair. i think Villa and Fulham will be challenging the top 6 soon too,

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Nowt wrong with dreaming mate. Especially today. I do feel top spot is a step too far but 2 nd could be a slim chance if Brighton fade like last year. Play offs for certain tho 

As things stand, it's not impossible. To close on Newcastle we need to pick up 0.42 points per game more than them for the rest of the season, to close on Brighton we need to pick up 0.38 points more than them for the rest of the season. Under McClaren we've been going at a ridiculous 2.44 points per game, so if we by some miracle we managed that for the rest of the season, we'd want Newcastle to going at under 2.02 per game for them to be caught at that rate.

We can be blunt though, and basically rule out something like that, 2.44 points per game is unsustainable. More realistic is that Newcastle and Brighton end up picking up a more achievable 1.80 points per game from here and end up around that 90 point mark, which we could catch at around 2.2 points per game. Whilst 2.2 is still ridiculously high, it's not beyond possibilities at the moment. 

I guess we'll see. First and foremost we've got to solidify this placeoff spot and just see where we end up. 

To be fair to b4, the thread title talks about a charge for promotion... not automatic promotion (he may have meant this, of course). From this position, is it possible we could get promoted? Yes... but probably not automatically. 

I tell you what though, we have more than a few statisticians frequenting this board! 

#amf

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

As things stand, it's not impossible. To close on Newcastle we need to pick up 0.42 points per game more than them for the rest of the season, to close on Brighton we need to pick up 0.38 points more than them for the rest of the season. Under McClaren we've been going at a ridiculous 2.44 points per game, so if we by some miracle we managed that for the rest of the season, we'd want Newcastle to going at under 2.02 per game for them to be caught at that rate.

We can be blunt though, and basically rule out something like that, 2.44 points per game is unsustainable. More realistic is that Newcastle and Brighton end up picking up a more achievable 1.80 points per game from here and end up around that 90 point mark, which we could catch at around 2.2 points per game. Whilst 2.2 is still ridiculously high, it's not beyond possibilities at the moment. 

I guess we'll see. First and foremost we've got to solidify this placeoff spot and just see where we end up. 

We're basically dependent upon a collapse by either of them. Which does happen - QPR went to absolute **** in the season they snuck past us at Wembley, and we obviously bottled it two years in a row. Brighton arguably managed it last season.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Top 2 is beyond us now. We are relying on Brighton losing a number of games and us carrying on this magnificent form which is this league is very difficult. We should be looking to consolidate our position in the play offs now(something I didn't expect to say this time 3 months ago) and not fall away like the teams around us have like Norwich and Huddersfield. 

I didn't know the season finished at Christmas!

Don't forget we're on a hell of a run, which is clearly unsustainable unless we're the new Invincible's.  Just enjoy it, drink up every moment and remember where we were in October.  The current form is nothing short of a miracle given the circumstances, there's no need to worry about the top two which will inevitably create added pressure when we don't beat every team 4-0.  

Archived