Morris Leading Rebellion Against Football League

therealhantsram

Derby chairman Mel Morris claimed he could bring in £300million a year for Football League TV rights compared to the £90m-a-year Sky deal he complains is not nearly good enough.

The highly optimistic Morris told a meeting of FL clubs at Pride Park that televising and streaming far more FL matches than the Sky contract allows would narrow the gap to the Premier League.

Derby chairman Mel Morris claimed on Thursday he can bring the EFL £300million in TV rights

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown led the support for Morris, describing the Sky agreement as a ‘bag of nails’ and calls for the Derby chief to lead the FL’s negotiation process for the next TV contract were not opposed, although few owners were present.

The FL say they are recruiting an independent broadcast rights adviser but are happy for Morris to play a part in future TV rights talks.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Derby chairman Mel Morris claimed he could bring in £300million a year for Football League TV rights compared to the £90m-a-year Sky deal he complains is not nearly good enough.

The highly optimistic Morris told a meeting of FL clubs at Pride Park that televising and streaming far more FL matches than the Sky contract allows would narrow the gap to the Premier League.

Derby chairman Mel Morris claimed on Thursday he can bring the EFL £300million in TV rights

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown led the support for Morris, describing the Sky agreement as a ‘bag of nails’ and calls for the Derby chief to lead the FL’s negotiation process for the next TV contract were not opposed, although few owners were present.

The FL say they are recruiting an independent broadcast rights adviser but are happy for Morris to play a part in future TV rights talks.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

As a half fan living on the west coast of the US, I only get to watch about 15% of games per season - I'd probably pay up to around 50 quid per month to watch every game if the coverage is decent enough, and knowing that the money is going back into the club would also make be feel better about it. Right now I get up between 4am and 7am to watch what is often awful coverage. Beinsports usually just shows the empty pitch for half time and the radio derby commentary isn't as good as it used to be. 

I think we can do better, and I applaud Mel for spearheading this. 

3 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Few owners were present ?

Looks like Mel is trying his best to drag the Football League kicking and screaming into the 21st century.  I've always found it annoying  that FL shows have sponsors like Checkatrade.  Like it's the pie & veg to the Premier Leagues King Prawn Smoked Salmon and Crab Salad.  As if, those who support non PL teams are a different class, it's condescending.

I can imagine the PL makes sure Sky offers the FL a crappy deal to ensure the 72 clubs can't reinvest in better facilities/players/youth so they can't close the gap and compete once they reach 'the promised land'.  Imagine if all the promoted teams for the next three season stopped up and they had the task of marketing Hudderfield vs Burnley on Super Sunday.  It wouldn't seem quite as appealing to Mr Quak in Japan would it???

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Phallus measuring again....... 

He owns Derby County to make money. If there's an area he thinks he could be making a lot more he's obviously going to pursue it. Going into the dressing room to berate a manager/team is 'phallus measuring'; this is business.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Who will watch a friendly against Leeds. !

Depends when it is in all honesty.

Are you more likely to watch an England friendly or a DCFC friendly? If I had a straight choice I'd choose Derby. If it were a competitive England fixture, it would depend on the opposition and if I think it would be a decent match (obviously personal opinion). 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Who will watch a friendly against Leeds. !

I agree, this could well backfire if it's Mels intention to show how much revenue could be raised by selling viewing access to this game.

I'm certainly not interested enough in a mid season friendly against Leeds to either buy a ticket or pay to view. 

2 hours ago, curtains said:

Few owners were present ?

I wonder if those that either didn't attend or at least send a rep will accept the benefits if he manages to achieve anything or politely decline that as well. I didn't have to wonder for long. 

I'm not a trade unionist or remotely left wing but it does remind me of people that don't join a trade union but are happy to receive any benefits (in terms of pay rises etc) that the union may help to negotiate. 

22 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He owns Derby County to make money. If there's an area he thinks he could be making a lot more he's obviously going to pursue it. Going into the dressing room to berate a manager/team is 'phallus measuring'; this is business.

It's also good for the long term future of the club. Morris is minted, but there's a limit to his wealth and, eventually like all of us he won't be around anymore. The greatest gift he could give the club is making it a relatively self-sustaining enterprise.

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree, this could well backfire if it's Mels intention to show how much revenue could be raised by selling viewing access to this game.

I'm certainly not interested enough in a mid season friendly against Leeds to either buy a ticket or pay to view. 

I doubt you'll need to pay to view for what is a proof of principle exercise, and a friendly.

He is aiming to show clubs how many people will watch a streamed game so it'll likely be free. At the end of the day, what he's trying to do is hugely beneficial to the club and the leagues and I think we should all do our best to at least have the stream open if we can, even if we're not watching it.

If you do have to pay that obviously will limit the viewership, but hopefully they'll foresee that.

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I doubt you'll need to pay to view for what is a proof of principle exercise, and a friendly.

He is aiming to show clubs how many people will watch a streamed game so it'll likely be free. At the end of the day, what he's trying to do is hugely beneficial to the club and the leagues and I think we should all do our best to at least have the stream open if we can, even if we're not watching it.

If you do have to pay that obviously will limit the viewership, but hopefully they'll foresee that.

Might also be to run a big live test on a streaming platform to demonstrate that it's good enough for the other clubs he wants the backing of. I guess FL clubs would want to see proof of the pudding so to speak.

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I wonder if the friendly will be behind closed doors?

I don't think there is such a thing as a "friendly" against Leeds. With a full Pride Park, and both teams pushing in the play-offs, it could get messy

Worst team we could possibly play and what is happening with Leeds ownership !

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Worst team we could possibly play and what is happening with Leeds ownership !

From a business perspective it's the best team. Biggest global fanbase outside of the prem by quite a margin, Leeds.

Archived