Will Hughes turns down contract offer?

Cam the Ram

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Notts County, Lincoln City, Mansfield Town, Cliftonville, Lisburn Distilliery (League of Ireland for the latter two for the uneducated) and then bizarrely, Huerca CF in the third division in Spain(!!)  ... followed by Nantwich Borough, Matlock Town.

Smashed cruciate in a freak challenge at the age of 24-25, done and dusted. Can't even play twenty minutes five a side these days without it exploding to a thousand times the size. (Almost as big as my ego!)

37 now, and clearly, still very bitter about it.

Fair play ,but you're still talking ****.:thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Notts County, Lincoln City, Mansfield Town, Cliftonville, Lisburn Distilliery (League of Ireland for the latter two for the uneducated) and then bizarrely, Huerca CF in the third division in Spain(!!)  ... followed by Nantwich Borough, Matlock Town.

Smashed cruciate in a freak challenge at the age of 24-25, done and dusted. Can't even play twenty minutes five a side these days without it exploding to a thousand times the size. (Almost as big as my ego!)

So nobody knows more than you that hasn't played to that level (including Mourinho?)

But you know more than those ex players on Sky etc that rate him highly? Or even the managers that at both club and country continue to pick him. 

It helps your appreciation if you've played football. Sometimes. But it doesn't qualify your opinions as fact. How many times have we seen Kilbane rip into defenders, Shearer be any good at managing or Kenny Burns be proven wrong. 

If you've been on any pitch for any decent amount of time then you'll have found your level. If you've found your level then you can understand how difficult football can be, how the people are, how teams don't have a morale rating out of 10 and an armband doesn't mean the bloke wearing it is suddenly wiser than Mr Miyagi.

If you've gone high-ish then you begin to understand how much dedication and sacrifices are involved. 

But if playing the game at a high level provided a high level of knowledge then Paul Ince would be an exceptional manager, Andy Townsend would make sense and Jose Mourinho wouldn't know whether to spend money on Pogba or Pingu. Admittedly Pingu runs it pretty close right now

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So nobody knows more than you that hasn't played to that level (including Mourinho?)

But you know more than those ex players on Sky etc that rate him highly? Or even the managers that at both club and country continue to pick him. 

It helps your appreciation if you've played football. Sometimes. But it doesn't qualify your opinions as fact. How many times have we seen Kilbane rip into defenders, Shearer be any good at managing or Kenny Burns be proven wrong. 

If you've been on any pitch for any decent amount of time then you'll have found your level. If you've found your level then you can understand how difficult football can be, how the people are, how teams don't have a morale rating out of 10 and an armband doesn't mean the bloke wearing it is suddenly wiser than Mr Miyagi.

If you've gone high-ish then you begin to understand how much dedication and sacrifices are involved. 

But if playing the game at a high level provided a high level of knowledge then Paul Ince would be an exceptional manager, Andy Townsend would make sense and Jose Mourinho wouldn't know whether to spend money on Pogba or Pingu. Admittedly Pingu runs it pretty close right now

That is a fair post, and actually, there is no one who appreciates more how difficult a game football is, regarding sacrifice and so on and so on, given how badly injured I was and the way I had to hang them up.

I can hear plenty of what you're saying. As far as I'm concerned by the way, Roy Keane is the best player ever to walk on these islands, an absolute hero of mine ... (which maybe tells you the sort of player I wanted to be, and why I am so harsh in judgement) ... and yet, his managerial CV doesn't reflect anything near it.

Again, I have never said that Hughes is a bad player ... I just don't buy into this unconditional  love in, thats all.

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I do rate him highly by the way ... I just don't think he is Derby's answer to Platini, Best, and Keane all rolled into one, as many seem to. We have better players on the books as far as I'm concerned.

5 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

That is a fair post, and actually, there is no one who appreciates more how difficult a game football is, regarding sacrifice and so on and so on, given how badly injured I was and the way I had to hang them up.

I can hear plenty of what you're saying. As far as I'm concerned by the way, Roy Keane is the best player ever to walk on these islands, an absolute hero of mine ... (which maybe tells you the sort of player I wanted to be, and why I am so harsh in judgement) ... and yet, his managerial CV doesn't reflect anything near it.

Again, I have never said that Hughes is a bad player ... I just don't buy into this unconditional  love in, thats all.

That's all fine - but you're jumping up and down on people for how they are reacting to yesterday's performance, which by any stretch of the imagination was better than 'OK'.  That has nothing to do with any unconditional love, its just a fair reflection of a game that most people would conclude he bossed (along with Butterfield and Johnson) until he went off. He also backed it up with a goal, which most of his critics (all three of them) want to see.  

In any event, I can't see the problem in a Will Hughes love-in. Who give a **** if we go over the top? Doesn't hurt anybody (apart from you and Ambitious)! 

19 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I do rate him highly by the way ... I just don't think he is Derby's answer to Platini, Best, and Keane all rolled into one, as many seem to. We have better players on the books as far as I'm concerned.

He isn't going to be an all rounder. That's why we have players that compliment him. Hughes needs Johnson to let him express himself, keogh and Pearce need Johnson to shield them. It's a team game. 

2 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Done and dusted by the age of 24-25 and you played for 8 different clubs! Tommy Docherty hung around longer than you.

9 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Done and dusted by the age of 24-25 and you played for 8 different clubs! Tommy Docherty hung around longer than you.

I know mate. Believe it or not, I was a bit chippy in the dressing room ... didn't tend to get on that well with very many ;-)

Wanted to be Roy Keane, but wound up a pauper's Joey Barton in all fairness. ;-)

3 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I know mate. Believe it or not, I was a bit chippy in the dressing room ... didn't tend to get on that well with very many ;-)

Wanted to be Roy Keane, but wound up a pauper's Joey Barton in all fairness. ;-)

No I don't believe that.

2 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

If you actually read what I say about Hughes, it is never to suggest that he is a bad player, and not an asset ... I really do hope that he fulfils it. One or two just need to calm down a bit, thats all. It is obviously because Hughes is an academy product that so many salivate quite so much. fair enough.

I've followed Butterfield for example, since he was a teenager at Palace ... he has turned into a genuinely classy player ... but no one shouts about that. 

Butterfield came through at Barnsley as a teen, not Palace. And loads shout about him, me more than most. But then I shout about them all in fairness especially when we are on one of our best winning runs in my 36 seasons watching the Rams.

5 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Butterfield came through at Barnsley as a teen, not Palace. And loads shout about him, me more than most. But then I shout about them all in fairness especially when we are on one of our best winning runs in my 36 seasons watching the Rams.

I correct myself there, you're quite right. I do recall him as a youngster though at the Palace...in fact, you know what, played for Barnsley against Palace at Selhurst and recall thinking very highly of him, ran the match. Perhaps thats where I've gone wrong.Anyway, I've followed his progress since.

Used to watch Palace a lot when I lived down south, they were in the third division or whatever, I'm certain he was there at the time.

A lot of my memories in London during that era of my life are a bit hazy. ;-)

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

55 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I correct myself there, you're quite right. I do recall him as a youngster though at the Palace...in fact, you know what, played for Barnsley against Palace at Selhurst and recall thinking very highly of him, ran the match. Perhaps thats where I've gone wrong.Anyway, I've followed his progress since.

Used to watch Palace a lot when I lived down south, they were in the third division or whatever, I'm certain he was there at the time.

Wasn't he a product of Man U's academy?

Surprised at the vitriol towards Daz. God help us if we'd have lost and not won how many on the bounce now?! I'm happy to lose count!!  I've liked some of his posts as I get what he's saying. I'm not hearing members of my family( Blue Mooners) or any Man City/ Utd fans at work  asking about Will Hughes and what he's worth. The only comment  I've had is from Jeff Hendricks uncle, a work colleague,who said he's getting a huge amount of praise and hype but is still to produce it week in week out.( Hughes not Hendrick!) He's had an awful injury and that takes some recovery. I'm a fan of Hughes too but think and hope there's a lot more to come.He can't understand the hype. I don't get to many games these days sadly but I think it's great there's the passion about individual players and we all want a successful team with quality players. Daz has said numerous times he rates Hughes but he's still very young so let's hope he continues to develop and does it with a Derby team with the likes of Sir Brad and Incey.

Mind you, you did ruin it all by having Keane as your favourite player Daz which tempts me to delete all my likes for you:D

Not sure how much hate mail I'll get for not suggesting Hughes is the best thing since etc etc but I can take it.... sometimes 

1 hour ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Danny Butterfield, right back, played as an auxiliary striker once and bagged a hat-trick

Archived