Sunday Football

Waffle

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 00:10, IronRam 70.3 said:

I used to have one of those! Chesapeake were my first team along with St Kitts YC.

Played for lots of teams from U11's until about 3 years ago when my children stole all my spare time. Off the top of my head:-

Chezza

St kits

Derby Pheonix

Littleover Dazzlers 

Parkside Colts. 95-96 (What a team that was!......on paper - strangely didnt work massively on the pitch)

Mickleover AllStars

Several military Unit teams

As an adult Newmount FC (RIP) in the Midlands regional. 

Fun fact: in my last season with Newmount I scored 2 headers from outside the box and managed 4 possibly 5 red cards for being slow and cynical !

Nicknamed "the plumber".......

For fixing leaky defences. :whistle:

Is that the boy wiseman? 

Derwent Old Boys, Roe Farm, Graham St Prims (that's them on the left on me little picture thingy).........."The finest years came between 1971 and 1981 when they won no less than fifteen major honours including seven Derbyshire FA Cup wins and eight League titles."

Sunday was pot hunting day!  Any team with a sniff of winning something I was there!  

Liversage Arms, The Rocket in the Taverners Premier League and numerous guest appearances under a dodgy name for out of town trips!  

Northcliffe United under Tommy Powell on a Sunday afternoon in the Midlands Sunday League. Tommy was an absolute gent, one of the nicest blokes I ever met.  Forest and Derby had a team in that league for one season, mainly young trialists.  The front three for Forest at King George V playing fields were Steve Wigley, Paul Rayner and Peter Davenport (they must have upset someone big time to make an appearance on the slope) and the result .................a stonkin 4-2 home win! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, philmycock said:

What year did you play for the Robin? Was you a regular in that there Mickleover pub?

Anywhere between 2001 to when they jacked it in, so that would be around 2007.  I was in there a fair bit, and endured some epic lock ins, stopped going in so often after they refitted the place to look like a wine bar.  Lost it's character

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Anywhere between 2001 to when they jacked it in, so that would be around 2007.  I was in there a fair bit, and endured some epic lock ins, stopped going in so often after they refitted the place to look like a wine bar.  Lost it's character

You may have recognised my late grandfather Tom Calladine who used to play dominoes in there nightly back in the day!!!! Rock n roll lifestyle!

2 hours ago, philmycock said:

You may have recognised my late grandfather Tom Calladine who used to play dominoes in there nightly back in the day!!!! Rock n roll lifestyle!

If he ever complained about a load of noisy, irritating ne'dowells spoiling his evening he was more than likely referring to my colleagues & I...

• 2 years later...
51 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

Anybody know much about Northcliffe Utd? Found what looks like a 60s No 9 shirt in my Father in Laws things and some decent Derby scraves and flanges amongst other stuff.

“Northcliffe United were founded in the early 1960s by employees of the Derby Evening Telegraph, taking their name from Northcliffe House, where they worked. Comprising, in the main, workers from the printing and production areas of the newspaper, they initially played friendly games against journalists from the paper and members of Raymonds News Agency.

Interest in Sunday football was gathering momentum at this time and Northcliffe became members of Derby Sunday League on its formation in 1964, with a further 28 clubs in the area. In the 1970s, the team was managed by Rams legend Tommy Powell.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/fourth-cup-title-six-years-1274429.amp

Ive had more clubs than Steve Claridge. 

Junior Rams both Ashbourne and the DCFC version. Even went on tour to USA. 

Wyaston Wanderers in Derby Taverners

British Army in Germany, BAOR

Salisbury reserves ( where i learned i would never be a pro footballer) 

Wednesfield Social. 21 quid per game. No expenses. 

Ashbourne Rugby Club

Greyhound FC Ashbourne Summer league.

Langholmen FC Stockholm 

retired old.... 

2 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Ashbourne Rugby Club

Langholmen FC Stockholm 

retired old.... 

Reminded me of a colleagues lad.

He was/still is a PT in the army, and about 15 years ago my workmate texted me, to say his lad had made the bench for Aldershot in that night's game, which was live on Sky for some reason.

I'd first met him a year earlier in awkward circumstances when he served us a pint in Hucknall, when he was meant to be in Germany! 

After his dad dragged his AWOL arse back to barracks, he got his head down and made a real go at it, leading to his chance at league level.

Unfortunately my mate got pissed off waiting for his boy to appear and went to bed, missing his 2 minute appearance at the end of the match!

He never made another appearance!

46 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Reminded me of a colleagues lad.

He was/still is a PT in the army, and about 15 years ago my workmate texted me, to say his lad had made the bench for Aldershot in that night's game, which was live on Sky for some reason.

I'd first met him a year earlier in awkward circumstances when he served us a pint in Hucknall, when he was meant to be in Germany! 

After his dad dragged his AWOL arse back to barracks, he got his head down and made a real go at it, leading to his chance at league level.

Unfortunately my mate got pissed off waiting for his boy to appear and went to bed, missing his 2 minute appearance at the end of the match!

He never made another appearance!

Did he play for Aldershot whilst still serving? 

Just now, reveldevil said:

I assume so, he was certainly in the army years later.

Thats how it was for myself at Salisbury. I was based at Bulford Camp near Amesbury and our footie outfit played Salisbury in a pre season friendly. Myself and two other lads were invited to train, trial, play reserves in that order. One of our three played in their first team for a season or two. Not me, not good enough. I went fast back to decent non league where I truly belonged. 

4 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Ashbourne Rugby Club

Langholmen FC Stockholm 

retired old.... 

Ashbourne Summer league god that brings back a few memories. There was a pub called the Ostrich which had a sewer dyke running down the side of the pitch and they had a couple of buckets to wash the ball in if it went in it.

16 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Thats how it was for myself at Salisbury. I was based at Bulford Camp near Amesbury and our footie outfit played Salisbury in a pre season friendly. Myself and two other lads were invited to train, trial, play reserves in that order. One of our three played in their first team for a season or two. Not me, not good enough. I went fast back to decent non league where I truly belonged. 

This was back when Aldershot were still in the league, I've no idea why Sky were showing the game, I only tuned in for the line ups pre match, and there he was listed on the bench!

He'd been AWOL for a good few months when we bumped into him on a night out, and I'd assumed he'd return, be punished then kicked out, but as far as I know he's serving to this day.

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

Ashbourne Summer league god that brings back a few memories. There was a pub called the Ostrich which had a sewer dyke running down the side of the pitch and they had a couple of buckets to wash the ball in if it went in it.

Ostrich on Long Lane Gritters. Played v them a good few times. A mate of mine Mick Phillips ran them and played in goal for years. 

Archived