Sunday Football

Waffle

Just thought I'd start a thread for a bit of nostalgia. 

Who did you play for when you were younger or now?

not sure if anyone follows any of it now, but a mate of mine got me to watch the Derbyshire under 21 league this season and the standard of football isn't too bad. Adasc were always difficult to beat when I played. They're playing the new Belper side this weekend, which from what I've heard could be a good game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played for Cavaliers u12 through to u16.

Was a tall kid so got lumped in centre defence even though I preferred midfield. 

Fun Fact: Once scored from about 40yards out, turned and gave my manager some attitude about how I should play midfield (based on scoring that worldy), got "suspended" for two months :lol:

Roe Farm, Littleover Dazzlers and then Mickleover Athletic as a kid.

Mickleover Sports on a Saturday.

Derbyshire Police, Riddings Rovers, Mickleover Whitecross and The Wheel Inn/Findern FC/Repton Casuals in the Taveners league. Some of the states I(we) wound up playing in amazes me as an old bloke now, seem to remember sleeping at Pastures hospital before a game one night after a big night out to save on the taxi fare.

Some happy happy days in there, and considering the amount of matches can only remember one or two incidents of serious violence.

Assume every team had one disorganised bloke who woul turn up with his boots in a carrier bag?

:p

Warmsworth Lions in Donny Sunday league ( just off A1 going to Conisbrough Castle ) then Sun Inn pub at Scawsby, Donny ( on great north road towards Adwick le Street ) and also the Cecil pub in Warmsworth , Donny.

Then Rufforth in York & District Sunday league.

Best name for a pub side I played against was Askern Villa! ? On the way out of Donny north towards Selby way.

Probably means jack to you lot but just thought I'd get involved and contribute. :p

Cavaliers u11, Darley Abbey Colts u12, u13 (first Darley side to get promotion for the club.) u14 briefly then started reffing.

My boys currently play for Mickleover Jubilee u10 and u7......

Eldest has won managers POTY past two years in a row (yes my eyes  moistened a little at the ceremony), first one was whilst playing year above age group. Youngest playing in his second season and has 13 goals already this season..... costing me fortune!  

Wouldn't swop watching them for the world..... makes my weekend taking them on a Sunday. 

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

:p

Warmsworth Lions in Donny Sunday league ( just off A1 going to Conisbrough Castle ) then Sun Inn pub at Scawsby, Donny ( on great north road towards Adwick le Street ) and also the Cecil pub in Warmsworth , Donny.

Then Rufforth in York & District Sunday league.

Best name for a pub side I played against was Askern Villa! ? On the way out of Donny north towards Selby way.

Probably means jack to you lot but just thought I'd get involved and contribute. :p

Mexboroughs up that way innit?

Played at a few of the Miners Welfares that way in my late youth.

1 hour ago, Mick Harford said:

Mexboroughs up that way innit?

Played at a few of the Miners Welfares that way in my late youth.

Yeah Mexy is next to Denaby Main where I've played a few times and which is next to Conisbrough.

Played against Mexy boys a few times and the working men's club which might even be the miners welfare you mentioned Mick.

Partner and one of my closest friends are from neighbouring Swinton originally but never played in Swinton.

Old colliery villages most, like the ones I grew up in / near north of Doncaster. Askern, Woodlands and up Pontefract way.

All tough places to go and play football.

Archived