Stevie Mac's 433

dajstrawb

Presuming it's the system we go with going forward (I would be super surprised if it wasn't) it will be interesting to see how the Mac and team work it this time around. With no Chrissy here this time round (yet..) and Vydra seeming to be a different striker altogether, will be interesting to see how we go about using that focal point of our attack. I can't see many balls into Vydra's feet with players buzzing around him, that's just not his game. I know we have other strikers but, surely that number 9 shirt is his. We'll be watching a different 433. Interesting days ahead!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say for certain that mcclaren will go for 433, he'll surely go for a system that best suits both our players and his style of play, which tbf probably is 433 or 4231 imo but we'll see on Saturday. If he does go for 433 I'm expecting:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Lowe

Johnson

Hughes Bryson

Anya Vydra Ince

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I wouldn't say for certain that mcclaren will go for 433, he'll surely go for a system that best suits both our players and his style of play, which tbf probably is 433 or 4231 imo but we'll see on Saturday. If he does go for 433 I'm expecting:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Lowe

Johnson

Hughes Butterfield

Anya Vydra Ince

Fixed.. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I rate butterfield but I'm pretty certain he'll go with Bryson, he loved him last time and he offers more energy in midfield

But he can't do that because Martin isn't here though. 

5 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

But he can't do that because Martin isn't here though. 

Not nessercerily, I think people underestimate vydras abilities as a holdup man, he's no target man like Martin but he's got an excellent touch and moves the ball quickly like Martin at his best, and will have a similar impact on Bryson imo 

Now, finally, we are going back to the past, surely we will look to get a decent DM in on loan.

Brad Johnson isnt ideal and Ideally we need 2 for that position, incase we go 4-2-3-1. Infact the latter is better balanced than a 4-3-3- even with high pressing.

Otherwise you can get mullered on the break as we have seen time and time again.

Not even Mac can save us unless we get good players for the holding role(s) position.

We saw that when we were without thorne, mascerell and eustace.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not nessercerily, I think people underestimate vydras abilities as a holdup man, he's no target man like Martin but he's got an excellent touch and moves the ball quickly like Martin at his best, and will have a similar impact on Bryson imo 

Whilst Vydra does have an excellent touch his game is radically different from Martin. Martin was all about dropping into the midfield and feeding midfield runners. Vydra is the opposite, his game is all about running in behind. If you compare the number of touches and passes Vydra has in comparison to Martin you will see he can't fulfill the same role as he doesn't get involved enough. As with any system it's about who is going to occupy what space, previously under Mac Martin would drop into midfield allowing space for Bryson to run into effectivley swapping positions at pace. Vydra is more about running in behind, so the space for a midfielder to bomb into doesn't exist to the same degree however there is more space behind the striker as the centrebacks are being pulled back to cover his runs. Therefore we need someone who is more of a second playmaker (alongside Hughes) to occupy the space outside the box just in front of the centrebacks, threading balls through for Vydra to run on to. 

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I count myself in the group that underestimates vydra holding the ball up. However he does make good runs and if encouraged to make more and at different angles I think it could be happy days with Bryson and Hughes behind him. 

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Can see either Hanson being drafted up, Baird being used or possibly a full back stepping up to defensive midfield on Saturday. Mac showed before he wasn't afraid to put an older head in there so my guess would be the return of Baird 

That's just reminded me, he actually played Stephen Warnock at CDM didn't he. :lol:

25 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst Vydra does have an excellent touch his game is radically different from Martin. Martin was all about dropping into the midfield and feeding midfield runners. Vydra is the opposite, his game is all about running in behind. If you compare the number of touches and passes Vydra has in comparison to Martin you will see he can't fulfill the same role as he doesn't get involved enough. As with any system it's about who is going to occupy what space, previously under Mac Martin would drop into midfield allowing space for Bryson to run into effectivley swapping positions at pace. Vydra is more about running in behind, so the space for a midfielder to bomb into doesn't exist to the same degree however there is more space behind the striker as the centrebacks are being pulled back to cover his runs. Therefore we need someone who is more of a second playmaker (alongside Hughes) to occupy the space outside the box just in front of the centrebacks, threading balls through for Vydra to run on to. 

I agree with most of that definately mate, vydra is a vastly different style of forward to Martin, however the point I was more trying to make is that Brysons link up play with Martin was arguably the main reason both had such success in the playoff season, and I believe that vydra can provide that same sort of link up play. Despite being a different sort of player to Martin, vydra isn't in the same sort of poacher category as bent, his instincts aren't only to score goals but also to bring others into play, which I think will be hugely beneficial to Bryson, but we shall see of course

13 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

That's just reminded me, he actually played Stephen Warnock at CDM didn't he. :lol:

Against Reading yes.. Warnock was actually doing alright.. 

25 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I count myself in the group that underestimates vydra holding the ball up. However he does make good runs and if encouraged to make more and at different angles I think it could be happy days with Bryson and Hughes behind him. 

I do seem to be quite lonely in the camp of those he see vydra not as a poacher but there we go haha, haven't seen a huge amount of him so far tbf and I'm sure we'll see soon what his style is

Archived