The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Using your stat it doesn't even make him no1 at Fulham. :lol:

So? 

He's never been no.1 in minutes per goal when he's played for Derby either.

Works against your narrative of decline. 

Everyone is entitled to hold a view about any player - it's irrelevant whether it is totally opposite to that held by the vast majority of fans. However, to hold that view and be credible it should be based on facts or at least some element of considered logic (ideally both).

Most of the anti-Martin drivel in the thread this morning has been neither.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

So? 

He's never been no.1 in minutes per goal when he's played for Derby either.

Works against your narrative of decline. 

No, just if you if want to use minutes per goal to count his lack of total goals scored debate, then Ayite is their top scorer, not  Martin.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Everyone is entitled to hold a view about any player - it's irrelevant whether it is totally opposite to that held by the vast majority of fans. However, to hold that view and be credible it should be based on facts or at least some element of considered logic (ideally both).

Most of the anti-Martin drivel in the thread this morning has been neither.

FTFY :lol:

29 minutes ago, toddy said:

No, just if you if want to use minutes per goal to count his lack of total goals scored debate, then Ayite is their top scorer, not  Martin.

So what is your favourite stat then. Is it goals scored, or goals scored per minute? Is it his performance for the club he's playing for, or compared with all strikers in the league. 

Based on goals per minute, he's 13th in the league, easily in the top 20. Based on goals scored, he's top scorer for Fulham. Either way, it looks good for martin.

(Although, as someone ere said, te goals scored per minute star should have a minimum of about 10 to be properly quantifiable, otherwise you could have a striker play one game, play a blinder, score two goals and have a goal every 45 mins, then never play again. Like Nugents England record if I remember correctly.)

8 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I love this thread as much as Chris Martin.

I'm glad we loaned him to Fulham just for the joy of this thread.

Beautiful.thumb.png.51b442354a1b92ae156be62983938b38.png

7 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

So what is your favourite stat then. Is it goals scored, or goals scored per minute? Is it his performance for the club he's playing for, or compared with all strikers in the league. 

Based on goals per minute, he's 13th in the league, easily in the top 20. Based on goals scored, he's top scorer for Fulham. Either way, it looks good for martin.

To be fair to Toddy, he is joint 21st. 

3 hours ago, jono said:

Lets face it, for a striker to be called Christopher Martin ..I mean it's not exactly exciting as a name, he's done well considering that burden ... Now if your striker was called Vibe ... .. I mean, hey man ...  that's cool but what's he done .. just a couple more and with a name like that he should be rocking !.

Now while we wait for the bell, the two sides have gone to their respective corners and are refitting their gum shields ... what bets do we have for this thread to get to 200 pages before the prodigal son returns ? Who is the fatted calf ?

:ph34r: 

I wished you'd not posted this,I'm walking round to think up better names for Martin to make him more appealing.

Martin jr,

Christophe Martinez,

Jesus Martin?

What a way to waste a day off!

59 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

(Although, as someone ere said, te goals scored per minute star should have a minimum of about 10 to be properly quantifiable, otherwise you could have a striker play one game, play a blinder, score two goals and have a goal every 45 mins, then never play again. Like Nugents England record if I remember correctly.)

The stat that only really counts is the number of goals he has scored and as I have pointed out time after time is that since 2013/14 season Martin has consistently scored fewer goals each season. This does show a decline in his total performance as a striker season on season. Some on here that still live in 2013, don't want to here that stat so draw up this goals per minute ratio, which is really nonsense as this shows up all sorts of nominally on a striker stat.

Never said he was not Fulham's top goal scorer, only that he is not in the top 20 scorers this season in the championship and that is a lot of strikers who I dare say will have also defended set pieces, held the ball up and brought team mates into the game, possibly even adding quite a few assits to their stats.

I have always said he was a good striker for us, I personally think we have seen the best from Martin, certainly this season in a team that Is attack minded , he has struggled not only to score goals but to actually hold down a regular start for Fulham. I don't think they will pay the cash to buy him because of the season he has had, the knock on effect to us is possibly the value he once had may have plummeted and this is a negative as he has signed a contract extention paying him an alleged £30,000  a week. ( what an act of stupidity by somebody at the club).

So he may come back, but if some on here think it will be Martin of 2013 that comes back they are in for a shock.

12 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I wished you'd not posted this,I'm walking round to think up better names for Martin to make him more appealing.

Martin jr,

Christophe Martinez,

Jesus Martin?

What a way to waste a day off!

The pieman?:whistle:

3 minutes ago, toddy said:

The stat that only really counts is the number of goals he has scored and as I have pointed out time after time is that since 2013/14 season Martin has consistently scored fewer goals each season. This does show a decline in his total performance as a striker season on season. Some on here that still live in 2013, don't want to here that stat so draw up this goals per minute ratio, which is really nonsense as this shows up all sorts of nominally on a striker stat.

Never said he was not Fulham's top goal scorer, only that he is not in the top 20 scorers this season in the championship and that is a lot of strikers who I dare say will have also defended set pieces, held the ball up and brought team mates into the game, possibly even adding quite a few assits to their stats.

I have always said he was a good striker for us, I personally think we have seen the best from Martin, certainly this season in a team that Is attack minded , he has struggled not only to score goals but to actually hold down a regular start for Fulham. I don't think they will pay the cash to buy him because of the season he has had, the knock on effect to us is possibly the value he once had may have plummeted and this is a negative as he has signed a contract extention paying him an alleged £30,000  a week. ( what an act of stupidity by somebody at the club).

So he may come back, but if some on here think it will be Martin of 2013 that comes back they are in for a shock.

No one is thinking that we are getting Martin v.2013 automatically though, its that we can see the aspects of Martin's game that will directly suit this team of players. You are making the argument against yourself so it's suit what you are saying rather than debating what people have said. That's not an observation of just today, it's months.

Archived