Beer Thread

Cisse

Currently sipping my way through a bottle of Winterkoninkske (the Winter King) from Kerkom.

A delicious beer, flavoured rather delicately with Juniper. This one is worth searching for. I was told about it around 10 years ago, and noticed that Kurt was selling it in his Christmas list this year. I grabbed a couple, and having tasted it, I wish that I'd ordered a crate.

Cali APA by Tiny Rebel (Newport, Monmouthshire) - part of my Christmas present from my daughter (she always buys me beers that are somewhat 'off-piste').

If you like hop-bombs, you'll love this. Piney, resiny and with that grapefruit flavour that comes from Citra, Cascade, Chinook, Challenger and all the other 21st century US hops that begin with 'C'.

Fortunately, I do. It's as subtle as a brick, but it hits the spot before wiping it from the face of the earth.

Goose Island IPA, followed by Brewdog Punk IPA.

My daughter gave me a dozen craft beers for Christmas, and I'm gradually working through them. I chose these two to drink in succession for obvious reasons - Goose Island is a 'classic' USA craft beer that has been in itself a take on a classic style (India Pale Ale) which I thought, 15 years ago, was a little over the top.

Well, how perceptions change with time. The Goose Island IPA now seems well-balanced to the point of being 'tame' - not boring though, but a finish that starts sweet and malty before the hops kick in.

Brewdog Punk IPA, on the other hand, is about as subtle as a brick. Surprisingly enough, it is less 'bitter' than the Goose Island IPA (45 IBU to 55 IBU), but of course it's over-loaded with the 'C' hops which are so heavy on alpha acids which gives it a throat-puckering grapefruit bitterness.

Can I choose between the two? No, not really - both do exactly what they say on the tin. It's not my favourite style of beer by a long chalk, but both are excellent examples of the genre. However, they will be followed by a large malt whisky to cleanse the palate before I nail a St Bernardus Abt 12 as a nightcap.

29 minutes ago, eddie said:

My daughter gave me a dozen craft beers for Christmas, and I'm gradually working through them. I chose these two to drink in succession for obvious reasons - Goose Island is a 'classic' USA craft beer that has been in itself a take on a classic style (India Pale Ale) which I thought, 15 years ago, was a little over the top.

Well, how perceptions change with time. The Goose Island IPA now seems well-balanced to the point of being 'tame' - not boring though, but a finish that starts sweet and malty before the hops kick in.

Brewdog Punk IPA, on the other hand, is about as subtle as a brick. Surprisingly enough, it is less 'bitter' than the Goose Island IPA (45 IBU to 55 IBU), but of course it's over-loaded with the 'C' hops which are so heavy on alpha acids which gives it a throat-puckering grapefruit bitterness.

Can I choose between the two? No, not really - both do exactly what they say on the tin. It's not my favourite style of beer by a long chalk, but both are excellent examples of the genre. However, they will be followed by a large malt whisky to cleanse the palate before I nail a St Bernardus Abt 12 as a nightcap.

Try Brewdog Slot Machine. 660ml bottles from Asda for £3. For me, a slightly smoother drink than Punk. 

36 minutes ago, eddie said:

Strangely we were in Chicago drinking draft Goose Island IPA and I thought it tasted better in bottles in Bridlington. Baseball is a lot more bearable after a few anyway. The Cubs lost.

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Try Brewdog Slot Machine. 660ml bottles from Asda for £3. For me, a slightly smoother drink than Punk. 

It's a nice beer. I had one at the Brewdog pub in Brizzle last week. Got a rounder fruity flavour. Then we headed up to the Strawberry Thief for some Belgian beers.

Edited by eddie

Vicaris Winter.

This is simply magnificent - a dark, plummy glass of heaven that reminds me of Westvleteren 12 without having to take out a mortgage.

25 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thanks Eddie, that’s really useful. Especially for Bock beers as, although fortunately live near three bottle shops in Sheffield, I struggle to find ‘em (got a book about beer and food a few years ago and bock beers goes amazingly well with jerked chicken)

The beauty about Belgiuminabox is the delivery charges are exceptionally good. The price to ship one case from Antwerp is the same as shipping two (so naturally I order 2 crates at a time). They use DPD as shipping agents - It's less than €10 and takes between 3 and 7 days (it depends whether Kurt has everything in stock). Just beware that if you use Paypal, there's a €5 surcharge.

14 hours ago, eddie said:

The beauty about Belgiuminabox is the delivery charges are exceptionally good. The price to ship one case from Antwerp is the same as shipping two (so naturally I order 2 crates at a time). They use DPD as shipping agents - It's less than €10 and takes between 3 and 7 days (it depends whether Kurt has everything in stock). Just beware that if you use Paypal, there's a €5 surcharge.

Much appreciated, I’ll check it out!