Term time holiday fines scrapped in Derbyshire

Wolfie

On 23 September 2016 at 11:39, David said:

Fair play to him.

We're only here once, I have no proof of this but nor have I any proof of resurrections and walking on water either.

Seen an opportunity not to spend most of his life couped up in an office 9-5 and took it.

Will never knock someone for it but you can knock the government for making it possible. Far too slow in reacting to the world we live in, how long has the internet been a thing yet only now are we seeing laws come into place that apply to say online shopping and social media abuse.

Dead right Daveo. Don't blame those who work around a law for their own benefit. We are all human. 

We need good laws, designed with intelligence 

we need our children to be taught together for the maximum reasonable time. What is reasonable  ? Well I'd say 90% sounds about right .. So if your kid has been off a lot then ...sorry you need to get your hours in. Alternatively . Your youngster has a great attendance record .. No worries if you need a few days to fit in with a family holiday. 

We don't need to get in to fines .. We need to make rules that are sensible and that most people can follow without feeling pressed upon. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its tough, i dont know how old the children involved are, but i tend to think that a couple of weeks a year when they are under say 12 then really is it going to do any harm? Education isnt just what you learn at school.

I think the older they are maybe its harder to catch up.

If I genuinely thought the schools had the kids bests interests at heart i might support them a bit more, but i think they are probably more concerned with attendance rates than anything else.

On the other hand, parents do know before they have kids that holidays in school holidays will be more expensive so there is an argument to say they know what they are getting themselves into, the extra cost of a holiday is probably minimal compared with the overall cost of bringing them up.

I also do not agree when people say holiday companies are to blame, its almost like profit is a dirty word, but thats what they are profit making companies so of course they will charge more when demand is greater,

Can't agree with you I'm afraid mate.

There is making profits and there is taking advantage of families.

It's price fixing, simple as that.

Would you advocate all of the energy companies doubling their tariff rates during the winter?

Sith Happens
Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Can't agree with you I'm afraid mate.

There is making profits and there is taking advantage of families.

It's price fixing, simple as that.

Would you advocate all of the energy companies doubling their tariff rates during the winter?

No I wouldnt and its a fair argument. I guess you could come up with numerous examples of business that dont put prices up during higher demand spells, our local pub for example charges the same price for a pint in the day as its does the evening.

Maybe travel companies will argue they are actually lowering their prices to make them more attractive during term time as they know less people will travel then.

The amount of travel companies that have gone out of business in recent years suggests to me that in an incredibly competitive market they probably havent been charging us all enough for our annual holidays.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No I wouldnt and its a fair argument. I guess you could come up with numerous examples of business that dont put prices up during higher demand spells, our local pub for example charges the same price for a pint in the day as its does the evening.

Maybe travel companies will argue they are actually lowering their prices to make them more attractive during term time as they know less people will travel then.

The amount of travel companies that have gone out of business in recent years suggests to me that in an incredibly competitive market they probably havent been charging us all enough for our annual holidays.

Fair point but I imagine their decline is more down to people using the internet to book their own holidays.

The price difference between going on holiday on the last day of term or the first day of school holidays was over £2000 for us this year. I'm afraid they just can't justify that sort of profiteering in my eyes.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair point but I imagine their decline is more down to people using the internet to book their own holidays.

The price difference between going on holiday on the last day of term or the first day of school holidays was over £2000 for us this year. I'm afraid they just can't justify that sort of profiteering in my eyes.

The internet certainly is a factor in driving prices down I agree.

I guess the balance would be a travel company will expect to make a certain profit during a year, so the answer could be lower prices in holiday time but increase them in term time...but then those who chose to travel outside of school holidays may feel this isn't fair.

Scrap all school holidays, and give them 40 days a year annual allowance, blocking off exam time obviously.

Not only will this create more workplace ready young adults, but we'd also have more productive teachers who didn't spend 6 weeks on the piss every summer.

You could even use it as a reward for good behaviour scheme, where the better behaved kids get first dibs on the prime dates.

I'm currently taken NH advantage of the new ruling in Derbyshire. Sat in peru with my 7 year old girl. She's got the full support of the school though. 

Next week we're going to the jungle and machine picchu. She'll be making a scrap book and diary to take back to school. She'll also be getting a badge at brownies. 

But in this case, having just read the headline, it was apparently unauthorised. You've got to work with the school on it. 

Besides, the fines were always cheaper than the mark up on the holidays. So might as well just pay the fine if it comes to that. 

What really losses me off though, is qhat difdwe now does it make if they miss the last day of school. It's jut board dames and DVDs anyway, and can save you a fortune on your holiday to skip it. 

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Scrap all school holidays, and give them 40 days a year annual allowance, blocking off exam time obviously.

Not only will this create more workplace ready young adults, but we'd also have more productive teachers who didn't spend 6 weeks on the piss every summer.

You could even use it as a reward for good behaviour scheme, where the better behaved kids get first dibs on the prime dates.

Do Teachers then also take flexi holidays.

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Probably the  daftest anti-education idea this evening. :-) 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I'm currently taken NH advantage of the new ruling in Derbyshire. Sat in peru with my 7 year old girl. She's got the full support of the school though. 

Next week we're going to the jungle and machine picchu. She'll be making a scrap book and diary to take back to school. She'll also be getting a badge at brownies. 

But in this case, having just read the headline, it was apparently unauthorised. You've got to work with the school on it. 

Besides, the fines were always cheaper than the mark up on the holidays. So might as well just pay the fine if it comes to that. 

What really losses me off though, is qhat difdwe now does it make if they miss the last day of school. It's jut board dames and DVDs anyway, and can save you a fortune on your holiday to skip it. 

How many holidays did your parents take you on during school term time. A lot going by your spelling. ?

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

How many holidays did your parents take you on during school term time. A lot going by your spelling. ?

Fair one. My only excuse is that I'm very jet lagged, and the wifi here is slower than dial up, so I couldn't go back in to edit the  auto correct mistakes.

Damn auto correct. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 

I can tell you, the people enforcing it have the same reservations as anyone. Plus Teachers are more punished by the lack of taking holidays in term time than anyone.

The 'nice' families taking children to Florida get all the headlines...but most work/attention is really centered on dysfunctional families with attendance of sometimes 0% and up to -80%.

However, if you start saying 'oh you can take your children away for two weeks'  then you open the door to doubt, to people saying 'well my kids are sick (again) and you are on my back yet that family have just gone on holiday and that's ok'?

So you don't get into real trouble if you do take them out -you just pay a few quid (way less than you have saved) and everyone is happy. People spending thousands in court fees to prove a principle are just a bit tiresome really, sorry.

Archived