Robbie Savage says

plymouthram

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe that tool Savage has got us talking about "what if we'd given Nigel more time"

He was like the top 5 longest serving manager in the FL?

What if we'd given Phil Brown more time? What if we'd given Leon Best more time? What if Nathan Tyson had stayed fit? 

He did what he did. 

If Villa hadn't have been relegated they could be top of the PL now. Or bottom. Or 10th. 

On 13 September 2016 at 22:08, G-Ram said:

I think his chief scout was a news agent and his network consisted of scotland & exburton

clough did a lot of good thinks here with the squad & wages. He had more good buys than bad but he did sign some dross. We were crying out for a plan B, some sexier football and a bit of a scouting network 

savage is all ifs and buts, if we turned up in the playoff first leg against hull we might be there no, if it wasnt for zamora, Newcastle wanting mclaren, injuries last season, sacking clement we might be there but nobody will ever know  

The newsagent hasn't done too bad recruiting for Burton this season and the best of the lot was from Scotland too. 

Have alot of respect for Robbie,primarily a very average footballer that over achieved and managed to become a house hold name,probably due to the match of the day montage and the publicity he gained about his gran.

However i find his opinions on football generally irrelevant,not particularly informative or of any interest.Only have to read his facebook posts,mainly pics of his kids ,wife and house informing everybody how bloody cushy he has it.

Def would consider anything Robbie has to say is only to promote himself and keep in the public eye.

On 13 September 2016 at 22:08, G-Ram said:

I think his chief scout was a news agent and his network consisted of scotland & exburton

clough did a lot of good thinks here with the squad & wages. He had more good buys than bad but he did sign some dross. We were crying out for a plan B, some sexier football and a bit of a scouting network 

I'd have that scouting network back in a heartbeat. Very few of our signings under him made less than their intended impact. Dave Martin, Tyson, Maguire, Sammon… those are probably his only shockers.

It really grates me when people criticise the football itself under Clough. It was good. His negativity and lack of tactical nous made it frustrating at times and held us back but the football was decent whenever we looked to impose our game on the opposition.

Teams respected us under Clough. Burnley, Leicester and Reading all parked the bus and they finished first, second and seventh. They all out-thought us though and did a job on us. It was the perfect time to get rid of him - the team looked good enough in general play but tactically we looked poor and the signs of his final team being broke up were there and he wouldn't have gotten us in the play-offs.

Clough was excellent at bringing in players who fit the profile he was looking for. Lots of hardworking players who could play at speed and offer movement.

Forsyth in particular was a cracking signing considering he was basically a unwanted left-midfielder at Watford.

We'll never know, but I do wonder what sort of players he would have targeted with a bigger budget. Maybe it would have been just as bad as our signings over the past 18 months, maybe Clough would have preferred to keep the money in the bank and istead insisted on cheaper players with less expectations.

I always felt Clough wouldn't have brought in players like Wisdom, Thorne or Bamford on loan, but at the same time I doubt he would have signed Bradley Johnson, Darren Bent, Tom Ince or Nick Blackman eithter.

I criticised Clough for some many things, but one thing you couldn't knock him for was his business in the transfer market overall, especially in his latter 12-18 months at the club. 

I'd have him back in a heartbeat in some kind of recruitment role.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Clough was one of the last people I wanted to take over in the Summer. That said I would drive him to the iPro now myself, including paying for my transatlantic flights. Pearson has been atrocious.

At least we then might also get some players with some fight and commitment !!

Archived