Is this job to big for Pearson

whaley bridge Ram

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thread doesnt really make sense. How can you decide if the job is 'too big' for him after a few games - that suggests he doesnt have the skills/confidence to overhaul the staff, players, style, ethos...yet most criticism seems to be that he is selling the wrong players, is changing the style etc...

What would make 'more' sense is to ask 'is he making a huge job when just a bit of tweaking was needed' ??

(Whereon someone will reply: 

No)?

How long will Mel's patience last I'm left to wonder after yesterday. Getting upset with a 1-1 draw at home to Reading last season all seems a VERY long time ago now.

Should we get to having played 10 League Games having scored just one single goal would he then pull the plug on Pearson ?.

Well some interesting replies on this one

all I question is any one think the job is to big 

not sack him , we have to give who ever time to do his

work on the team , my opinion at the moment is there is no 

change to the rubbish we have seen for the last season and half

and when I say about it been a big job it is  , I will back who ever

is in charge like I have always done even the Doc and wot a job

he did  

18 hours ago, curtains said:

No he has the right attitude.

I have been observing closely and he will get it right. 

Guys don't panic, curtains has been watching closely.  

I don't think the job is 'too big' for Pearson. I don't think football, or really any job is that linear. The question should be more 'is this job a good fit for Pearson?' for which the answer is almost certainly 'too soon to say'. 

If however, he needs to completely tear the team apart and rebuild from scratch in order to recreate previous successes then he's almost certainly not a good fit. One thing I loved about McClarens first season with us was that he was such a good fit - if anything, the players were over achieving. He took a solid squad with a good spirit and work rate and turned them into one of the best teams in the league. 

It's too early to say if Pearson is going to work out, but its definitely fair to be disappointed with where we are right now following pay season. 

On 10 September 2016 at 19:41, whaley bridge Ram said:

Stood on the touch line with out any passion wot so ever (my thoughts )

those players look lost short of ideas yes every manager needs time and

i have seen many in my years following the Rams come on Nigel prove

me wrong it's to Big of a job  

No

I was one of them who wanted pearson in but does he lack passion at the side of dug out and interviews and does that affect the players. we have got to give him a full season we have had brighton villa and newcastle at home so far not easy first 3 at home.

On 10 September 2016 at 20:00, Papahet said:

Waving his arms around on the touchline will change what exactly...? 

He did this for two hours against Carlise and still looked bang (below) average.

Oh and where was Mcclaren sat during his first season? Back end of West stand on a telephone

Probably on the phone to the fat lass making sure Casper was ok.

On 10 September 2016 at 23:17, Pearsonite said:

Leicester fan in peace

Honestly, needed to make myself feel better after our thrashing today, so came on here.

I don't know what you've been told by other Leicester fans on here, Pearson does have something of an army of Leicester fans who even now still yearn for him. It's a bit weird. You can't really say anything negative about Pearson without being rounded on by those people. We call them "Pearsonites", hence my username (for clarity, I'm not one, I'm being ironic). So I suspect you've been told pretty forcefully that given time to build his own team Pearson will guarantee you success.

The trouble with that is that Pearson wasn't really the man who built the team at Leicester, that was Steve Walsh, now at Everton. Walsh gifted Pearson players like Morgan, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Knockaert and Vardy while we were still in the Championship. We already had the likes of Schmeichel and Nugent so we had a really strong squad for that level. All Pearson had to do was instil some discipline and a basic tactical system (442) and promotion from the championship was a sure thing.

Once we got to the premier league we no longer had the best players in the division so for the first time it was up to Pearson to use some tactical nous. Unfortunately Pearson is not a good tactician at all. We went through a good half a dozen different formations in the first half of the season alone. None of them worked. It was a total shambles. Some of his selections and formations were absolutely ludicrous. Honestly, you'd look at the team sheet and not know whether to laugh or cry, it was so bizarre. The highest profile example is probably the way he kept Mahrez out of the team for half the season. At the time Mahrez was already clearly our most creative player, but Pearson kept dropping him. He couldn't get the best out of him at all.

Now in the end we did go on a wild run that secured our survival, but on reflection, knowing what we now know about the quality of those players, we should never have been anywhere near the bottom of the league in the first place. It was Pearson's tactical inadequacies that put us there. The formation that led to our survival was at least the 10th different formation he'd tried that season, so was it more luck than judgement? Had Pearson finally worked the Premier League out, or was he lucky to just stumble on something that worked? I'll let you decide, but a quote from Pearson himself probably holds the biggest clue - when asked about what had changed at Leicester Pearson simply replied "I don't know".

I'll always be grateful to Nige for bringing Steve Walsh to Leicester and overseeing what would become a precursor to our finest hour, but I wouldn't have him back as a manager without Walsh, not even in the championship. Other Leicester fans will say different and some will defend Nige very passionately, but for me, you've got a manager who is tactically slightly below average at championship level and whose squad building capability is completely unproven without Walsh by his side. You've had a really poor start, and personally I'd be worried.

****, we've been misled:o

On 11 September 2016 at 16:39, David said:

I guess the question is, if this job is too big for Pearson which managers are we looking at?

Most wanted the experienced Pearson, we now have the bloke and 6 games in nah we need someone else he's not up to it....

Really interested to see the next name people are calling for to give them 6 games.

Finally.

Some of us need a serious reality check. Quite aside from the sheer stupidity of wanting to change a manager - ANY manager - after six matches in charge, there's also the small matter that we have already been down this path and (as someone else has said) have potentially become a poison chalice and graveyard for managers. Another preemptive sacking would seriously reduce (if not, completely remove) our ability to compete in the market for ANY quality manager.

Even if the doomsayers are right (and, by definition, it is too early to make such a call), it is simply not feasible for us to make a change. We bordered on a laughing stock after sacking Clement last season; we bordered on a laughing stock for throwing a tanty over McClaren; and we certainly crossed the line into a laughing stock in appointing Wassall for the remainder of last season.

Before anyone suggests we go down that path once again, make the list of potential replacements and HONESTLY ask yourself how likely it would be that they'd come if recent history suggests they'll be lucky to be given a season?

On 11 September 2016 at 16:48, Chester40 said:

I personally never wanted Wassall as he had no experience...PC wasn't given a proper chance for me but again he had no experience...

Surely now have a manager with some good experience we need to give him a season. End of. We were nearly good enough but that side needed freshening-up, he's doing that... think some fans should support Leeds, they'd enjoy their chairman's style. 

Exactly! Well said!

1 hour ago, EssendonRam said:

Another preemptive sacking would seriously reduce (if not, completely remove) our ability to compete in the market for ANY quality manager.

...We bordered on a laughing stock after sacking Clement last season; we bordered on a laughing stock for throwing a tanty over McClaren; and we certainly crossed the line into a laughing stock in appointing Wassall for the remainder of last season.

Before anyone suggests we go down that path once again, make the list of potential replacements and HONESTLY ask yourself how likely it would be that they'd come if recent history suggests they'll be lucky to be given a season?

If the guy is the wrong fit he's the wrong fit! #simples

As for who would come here...plenty, still. It doesn't have to be Pep or Mourinho to get us up, but it has to be right for Derby.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If the guy is the wrong fit he's the wrong fit! #simples

As for who would come here...plenty, still. It doesn't have to be Pep or Mourinho to get us up, but it has to be right for Derby.

The thing is Pearson has created a mess but if we were appointing a manager now he'd probably one of the top candidates to clean it up. I think it's too late to go back. I think this summer has left us needing a re-build. 

Pearson shouldn't have been appointed but now change is happening I think that he needs time to see it through. He's changed direction. Sacking him would leave us totally directionless and in my opinion back in the Jewell era.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Pearson shouldn't have been appointed but now change is happening I think that he needs time to see it through. He's changed direction. Sacking him would leave us totally directionless and in my opinion back in the Jewell era.

The sooner a mistake is dealt with the better - what are the odds on Will being sold in January? Is Pearson ever going to get the best out of him?!

It's not sacking him, that leaves us directionless!

On 9/11/2016 at 07:39, David said:

I guess the question is, if this job is too big for Pearson which managers are we looking at?

Most wanted the experienced Pearson, we now have the bloke and 6 games in nah we need someone else he's not up to it....

Really interested to see the next name people are calling for to give them 6 games.

i think Davide Ballardini would be a good shout to come in:) hes without a club and plays "the derby way" and has abit of experience also on top of this he has a reputation for turning sides around

Archived