Should Rooney retire?

Carl Sagan

Shilts thinks so:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/wayne-rooney-should-have-retired-after-euro-2016-says-ex-derby-goalkeeper/story-29688282-detail/story.html

He said: "I thought he should have retired after the Euros - and it's not because he can break my record," said Shilton. "He's not a midfield player ... He sprays a few balls around but I don't think he's being very effective."

I'd completely agree. While Rooney has managed to score one more goal than me at World Cup Finals, he's played in three more than I have. In midfield he totally kills England's momentum and slows everything down. Where other players only take one or two touches trying to slice through the opposition, Rooney controls the ball, moves it out of his feet, takes a touch and looks up, takes another touch,looks up again, then plays a floated ball out towards the wing. The opposition defence is completely set up in position and there's no danger.

Sadly, the young Evertonian who burst onto the scene to defeat Arsenal's Invincibles and then scored that amazing Champions League hattrick just after his move to Man Yoo never fulfilled his potential. It's not going to happen now. Football has moved on and left him miles behind. Time for him to move on too.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. It is up to the manager to decide when international players are done and no one else. Of all the criticisms I could make of Rooney, lack of commitment is not among them. He's been a fantastic servant to England and if Allardyce thinks he can still use him effectively then the consequences of that decision rest on Allardyce's shoulders and Allardyce's shoulders alone.

I am annoyed that Rooney has already announced his international retirement date. I already mentioned on another thread that we should start revoking previously earned caps for players who retire from international football, whilst still playing a full domestic calendar.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

No. It is up to the manager to decide when international players are done and no one else. Of all the criticisms I could make of Rooney, lack of commitment is not among them. He's been a fantastic servant to England and if Allardyce thinks he can still use him effectively then the consequences of that decision rest on Allardyce's shoulders and Allardyce's shoulders alone.

I am annoyed that Rooney has already announced his international retirement date. I already mentioned on another thread that we should start revoking previously earned caps for players who retire from international football, whilst still playing a full domestic calendar.

I agree with you in that it should be down to the manager not the player and every player should want to represent their country for as long as possible. In my opinion it's weak management by Allardyce just as it was by Hodgson before him and maybe even before that. Rooney has no place in a modern England team.

Look how a youthful slick-passing fast-moving England side won away in Germany before the Euros. The problem is everyone else has to play out of position and adapt their games, diminishing how they play, to try and shoehorn Rooney into the side. Alex Ferguson was good at realizing when players needed to be moved on and showed no mercy. Sadly the England hierarchy don't have the balls to make the decisions. Watching the England Slovenia game was just the same as watching England at the Euros. Time to move on,

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

so we are now criticising a player for attempting to locate a team mate, and he should instead be getting rid of the ball instantly?? 

Or rather criticizing a player who's feet and brain are too slow so he can't locate a teammate nearly as quickly as any of his peers. Anyone can play a floated 40 yard ball to the fullback waiting on the right wing if they've got 10 seconds to tee it up.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Or rather criticizing a player who's feet and brain are too slow so he can't locate a teammate nearly as quickly as any of his peers. Anyone can play a floated 40 yard ball to the fullback waiting on the right wing if they've got 10 seconds to tee it up.

absolute nonsense. a week earlier his slow brain and feet won Man United the game!

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Shilts thinks so:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/wayne-rooney-should-have-retired-after-euro-2016-says-ex-derby-goalkeeper/story-29688282-detail/story.html

He said: "I thought he should have retired after the Euros - and it's not because he can break my record," said Shilton. "He's not a midfield player ... He sprays a few balls around but I don't think he's being very effective."

I'd completely agree. While Rooney has managed to score one more goal than me at World Cup Finals, he's played in three more than I have. In midfield he totally kills England's momentum and slows everything down. Where other players only take one or two touches trying to slice through the opposition, Rooney controls the ball, moves it out of his feet, takes a touch and looks up, takes another touch,looks up again, then plays a floated ball out towards the wing. The opposition defence is completely set up in position and there's no danger.

Sadly, the young Evertonian who burst onto the scene to defeat Arsenal's Invincibles and then scored that amazing Champions League hattrick just after his move to Man Yoo never fulfilled his potential. It's not going to happen now. Football has moved on and left him miles behind. Time for him to move on too.

Never fulfilled his potential....?? Yeah.....5 Premiershite titles, 1 FA Cup, 2 League cups, 4 Community shields, 1 Champions league and a club world cup.....oh, and being the greatest ever goalscorer in Englands history... yeah, he really didn't fulfill any potential...

11 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Never fulfilled his potential....?? Yeah.....5 Premiershite titles, 1 FA Cup, 2 League cups, 4 Community shields, 1 Champions league and a club world cup.....oh, and being the greatest ever goalscorer in Englands history... yeah, he really didn't fulfill any potential...

No doubt that Rooney has had a fantastic career but he never his individual potential. Rooney was never a star of the successful Man Utd teams. He always played a secondary role behind the likes of Giggs,Scholes,Ronaldo,Van Nistelrooy and Van Persie when Rooney's potential suggested that he would have been the main man in all of the Man Utd teams he has played in gone by. People thought that Rooney would go on to be a once in a generation player and to be in the bracket that we now know to be Messi/Ronaldo and you can add the likes of Suarez and Neymar to that list now. I remember when he played for Everton and in euro 2004 , some people genuinely expected him to be 'England's Maradona.'

No chance, he's still technically one of England's best- I really don't understand the hate for him. We just have to play a system to get the best out of him and our other players like alli and Kane, rather than trying to shoehorn them into a formation that clearly doesn't suit. For what it's worth, allardyce has made himself appear very weak in saying that he lets Rooney play where he wants, he must have a specified role, otherwise the way he chooses to play may be to the detriment of the rest of the team. I should hope we're just taking his comments too literally, let's hope that if Rooney plays its in a role beneficial to the team, not just where he fancies!

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

No doubt that Rooney has had a fantastic career but he never his individual potential. Rooney was never a star of the successful Man Utd teams. He always played a secondary role behind the likes of Giggs,Scholes,Ronaldo,Van Nistelrooy and Van Persie when Rooney's potential suggested that he would have been the main man in all of the Man Utd teams he has played in gone by. People thought that Rooney would go on to be a once in a generation player and to be in the bracket that we now know to be Messi/Ronaldo and you can add the likes of Suarez and Neymar to that list now. I remember when he played for Everton and in euro 2004 , some people genuinely expected him to be 'England's Maradona.'

I disagree, he was absolutely a star, his career has only been  diminished due to his international career when it comes to tournament play. 

Very easy to be overlooked I'm sure when Ronaldo is in your side, or the class of 92. Rooney was absolutely a star, thirty goals twice in three years during his peak. He just faded quite quickly when he hit his late twenties, probably due to all the football his body went through while it was still developing. 

He's good player, but unfortunately has not been same after that horrendous injury. 20 years ago it would have been career ending for sure.

But to say when I'll end my international career is just plain stupidity. I hope England qualifies to the competition but Rooney is left out of squad. Little bit of humility would do him world of good for the rest of his life.

4 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I disagree, he was absolutely a star, his career has only been  diminished due to his international career when it comes to tournament play. 

Very easy to be overlooked I'm sure when Ronaldo is in your side, or the class of 92. Rooney was absolutely a star, thirty goals twice in three years during his peak. He just faded quite quickly when he hit his late twenties, probably due to all the football his body went through while it was still developing. 

Don't disagree with that but Rooney's potential suggested that he should have won the balon d'or. He was THAT good when he was younger. If he had the determination to become the best or work rate of Cristiano Ronaldo, he would have won the balon d'or at least a couple of times. He had the potential to score at a heavy,heavy rate, almost like Luis Suarez recently. He should have been a consistent 35-40 a season goal scorer. I'm not trying to put down Rooney's career because he has had a career anyone would dream to have but I think when he retires it may be a case of what if. What if he showed the dedication and care for his body like Ronaldo rather than drinking and eating junk food. Rooney doesn't look like he will have another 20 goal a season again in his career, maybe that's due to the way he looked after his body in his early years and it's catching up with him, whereas Ronaldo, who is older, is still scoring 50+ goals a season.

8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

He's good player, but unfortunately has not been same after that horrendous injury. 20 years ago it would have been career ending for sure.

But to say when I'll end my international career is just plain stupidity. I hope England qualifies to the competition but Rooney is left out of squad. Little bit of humility would do him world of good for the rest of his life.

Maybe getting out before hes dropped, but then how many players would have given their right arm to play? Beckham and Owen surely should have had more caps had Schteve not tried to be clever and leave him out, or capello with owen, you can bet both of them would have turned out come what may.

Doesn't need to retire but maybe giving the captaincy to someone else might do him some good.

I wrote the same during the Euro's whoever has convinced him he can be the midfield general, take set pieces, spray it about, pick it up off the back four and dictate the pace of the game has got it badly wrong. I personally think he's trying to do too much and he's NOT good enough to run the game from the centre of midfield.

Big Sam needs to develop a set of balls and tell him he's playing the number 10 roleor he's not playing at all and he doesn't need to drop back any further than the halfway line. His job should be to link up with Kane, Vardy, Sturridge whoever the centre forward is. His job isn't to leave them islolated and feeding off scraps.

It's a shame really cos he's got enough talent still to be a key player, just not THE key player, he needs to do his job and not try to do everyone elses as well, I think he wants to take on the Becks role of dragging the team up by it's boot laces but for some reason he gets bogged down by the responsibilty.

Retire?  no, he's still got a lot to offer, just not in midfield.

55 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Don't disagree with that but Rooney's potential suggested that he should have won the balon d'or. He was THAT good when he was younger. If he had the determination to become the best or work rate of Cristiano Ronaldo, he would have won the balon d'or at least a couple of times. He had the potential to score at a heavy,heavy rate, almost like Luis Suarez recently. He should have been a consistent 35-40 a season goal scorer. I'm not trying to put down Rooney's career because he has had a career anyone would dream to have but I think when he retires it may be a case of what if. What if he showed the dedication and care for his body like Ronaldo rather than drinking and eating junk food. Rooney doesn't look like he will have another 20 goal a season again in his career, maybe that's due to the way he looked after his body in his early years and it's catching up with him, whereas Ronaldo, who is older, is still scoring 50+ goals a season.

One of the biggest pieces of rubbish in football-the balon d'or.. Football is a TEAM game not an individual sport. How many of the class of 92 ever won it..? Without looking I would say none of them, because they knew it was a team game and even that pr1ck Beckham realised that he couldn't do what he did without his team mates. 

Rooney has had an incredible career, we have never witnessed a better striker in English history....ever...! I can't understand the hatred for him. 

Archived