Enough is enough.

ollycutts1982

1 hour ago, jono said:

It might challenge the laws of physics but a cheering crowd will give any player that extra half yard of pace, the encouragement to go for that 50/50 ball or risk the diving header. We have to give what we've got as much as we can. 

Is there actually and evidence to back this up?

Leeds have very noisy fans...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is there actually and evidence to back this up?

Leeds have very noisy fans...

That made me chuckle .. Possibly Leeds players are half a yard slower than the norm because it is a Neanderthal place and they need the "fan fix" in order to reach normal performance levels. Without the fan noise they would probably be none league. In fact this IS evidence :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Whilst I disagree with booing, jeering, ironic cheers etc I really don't buy into the notion that the players should perform better the louder the fans cheer.

Shouldn't wanting to earn an honest days wage be enough to motivate them.

I don't expect my clients to tell me how great I am before I do my best work. I do my best at work knowing that someone is paying me to do just that!

So you don't think that huge support from the stands can lift a team, or inspire them to perform better, to fight harder?

Supporting a side is not 'telling them how great they are' - that comment is just plain daft I'm afraid.

8 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So you don't think that huge support from the stands can lift a team, or inspire them to perform better, to fight harder?

Supporting a side is not 'telling them how great they are' - that comment is just plain daft I'm afraid.

No I don't to be honest. It may give them a very temporary lift but I've never seen a league table that is representative of who has the noisiest fans.

35 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Whilst I disagree with booing, jeering, ironic cheers etc I really don't buy into the notion that the players should perform better the louder the fans cheer.

Shouldn't wanting to earn an honest days wage be enough to motivate them.

I don't expect my clients to tell me how great I am before I do my best work. I do my best at work knowing that someone is paying me to do just that!

whilst it's hard to prove good support helps, I don't think it's in doubt that the opposite has the opposite effect.

Very simplistic regarding your clients, but you'd find it hard if you was trying your hardest and they were groaning over your shoulder.

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I think if you read my response it's pretty clear.  If you can't discern tha difference between cheering at work when the accounts team rock up and supporting your football team then I can't help. Soz fella. I'll just leave you to it.

Yes it is very clear, you say shouting loud can make players perform better!

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Yes it is very clear, you say shouting loud can make players perform better!

More idiocy - where have I stated anything about 'shouting louder'. Don't put your words in my mouth to suit what's a petty and obtuse agenda. Fans cheer their teams to try and give them a lift. You think it's pointless. Crack on in silence then fella. I couldn't care less whether you cheer or not to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

whilst it's hard to prove good support helps, I don't think it's in doubt that the opposite has the opposite effect.

Very simplistic regarding your clients, but you'd find it hard if you was trying your hardest and they were groaning over your shoulder.

I'll give you a very extreme example but a certain team not too long ago had the loudest fans week in, week out and they ended up with a record low points...

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'll give you a very extreme example but a certain team not too long ago had the loudest fans week in, week out and they ended up with a record low points...

I've agreed that positive support doesn't guarantee anything, but lets not rewrite history just cos some patronising media labelled us good fans. The team was regularly booed off during that season and during games..

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was just about to point this out...... Can you imagine how few points we would have got in that season if we'd not been noisy?

The combination of the transfer window and international break gives the players a clean slate of sorts to rectify the Burton 'performance'.

I'm looking forward to the next game especially as we have a couple of new players to watch, I will be extremely disappointed if the atmosphere isn't 100% positive and we drown out those self proclaimed great fans from the Toon. 

14 minutes ago, 86 points said:

More idiocy - where have I stated anything about 'shouting louder'. Don't put your words in my mouth to suit what's a petty and obtuse agenda. Fans cheer their teams to try and give them a lift. You think it's pointless. Crack on in silence then fella. I couldn't care less whether you cheer or not to be honest.

Well I'm not sure what other example of support from the stand you would be on about?

Petty and obtuse agenda? Not really. Just think it's out of order when I read that it's the fans fault that the players aren't performing or that it's up to the fans to get players performing better.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well I'm not sure what other example of support from the stand you would be on about?

Petty and obtuse agenda? Not really. Just think it's out of order when I read that it's the fans fault that the players aren't performing or that it's up to the fans to get players performing better.

Who said either? You're just making stuff up now hence the 'agenda' comment. Like I said, suit yourself!  

All folk on here have asserted is that support can help a team and booing generally doesn't. Make of that what you will.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Cheering the team on might well give them a temporary lift and that can give them the confidence to carry it on throughout the game, which in turn gives the fans a lift and they give better vocal support.

Whereas booing and moaning lifts nobody and just heaps more pressure onto the players and the fans are just waiting for the next mistake so they can vent their frustration, this helps no one. 

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Cheering the team on might well give them a temporary lift and that can give them the confidence to carry it on throughout the game, which in turn gives the fans a lift and they give better vocal support.

Whereas booing and moaning lifts nobody and just heaps more pressure onto the players and the fans are just waiting for the next mistake so they can vent their frustration, this helps no one. 

Spot on.

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Mostyn made the point that this isn't entirely accurate, but even if it was I'm not sure you're grasping what's being claimed. I don't think (most) people are saying cheering and support turns players into better players than they are - just that it can help people play as well as they can. So the fact an awful and awfully managed Derby team were awful despite good support isn't the same as saying support has no effect.

It doesn't do miracles and turn crap players into world-beaters, just turn under-performing players into better-performing ones.

31 minutes ago, ossieram said:

This.

There are a number on here who confess to mental health issues, and an inability to perform to their optimum because of anxiety or depression. There is no reason why footballers are not the same. They need and feed on confidence. In an atmosphere where a crowd is on their backs, they will not do things necessarily that are natural to them. They can become tense, they can over think so as not to make an error, and they start doing simple things rather than taking an (attacking) risk. It can be a vicious circle.

I cannot see any good reason to boo any of our players during a game. 

Archived