Possibly the hardest......

toddy

Possibly the hardest season yet to get promotion?

Looking at the clubs that came down Toons and Villa spent over 50 million each, money does not buy you success, although man city /utd, Chelsea and Arsenal it probably it does.

Looking at other clubs, Wolves, Brighton, Norwich, QPR and the Wendies all seem to have spent some cash and each have a stronger team, then of course we got the likes of Huddersfield, do they have the staying power?

On paper it does seem a harder division to get out of than last season?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We blew our chance last year in what was probably the easiest division for a long time. We really will have done incredible to beat Newcastle and villa up, but I can't see it happening. With all the new money in the premier league, I don't think we'll see a Division like last year for a long time now...

Burnley, Boro and Hull proved last season that if you are well managed, well drilled, have a settled enough side and have decent if not spectacular squads then you can get enough points on the board to get promoted. You don't need to spend for the sake of it IMO to be a success. I don't yet quite understand why many people are tipping up Villa. I think they will be fortunate to scrape into the play offs. Newcastle have a great manager and cash and Norwich just have a manager who operates under the radar with some excellent players.

That said, Derby will do well to get into a play off spot. I think Wendies last season was just a flash in the pan and Brighton could be the team to go a step further than last season.

A very tough league indeed but Newcastle aside purely due to finances, anything is possible.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

Possibly the hardest season yet to get promotion?

Looking at the clubs that came down Toons and Villa spent over 50 million each, money does not buy you success, although man city /utd, Chelsea and Arsenal it probably it does.

Looking at other clubs, Wolves, Brighton, Norwich, QPR and the Wendies all seem to have spent some cash and each have a stronger team, then of course we got the likes of Huddersfield, do they have the staying power?

On paper it does seem a harder division to get out of than last season?

The thing is, all these teams you've listed, and their fans - are thinking exactly the same thing. The league is up for grabs.

Can't be much harder than in the past. 

The teams that came down weren't good enough for the Premiership. 

A Premiership won by Leicester.

A Premiership struggling in European comps.

Not saying it's easier but it's about the same as normal. 

8 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Burnley, Boro and Hull proved last season that if you are well managed, well drilled, have a settled enough side and have decent if not spectacular squads then you can get enough points on the board to get promoted. You don't need to spend for the sake of it IMO to be a success. I don't yet quite understand why many people are tipping up Villa. I think they will be fortunate to scrape into the play offs. Newcastle have a great manager and cash and Norwich just have a manager who operates under the radar with some excellent players.

That said, Derby will do well to get into a play off spot. I think Wendies last season was just a flash in the pan and Brighton could be the team to go a step further than last season.

A very tough league indeed but Newcastle aside purely due to finances, anything is possible.

Also lots of other variables. Come Christmas some Premier League teams might be desperately looking around for a manager and a couple of Championship contenders might be scuppered if they thereby lose theirs (for example, would Chris Hughton turn down West Ham?). Same goes for players. Also a run of unlucky injuries will do for a couple of teams.

The pressure on Villa and Newcastle to get back up is massively intense.A bit of a bad run and  DCFC fans get disappointed and annoyed, but theirs will be screeching.

I think MM will want us to go up and stay there, I don't think he will be interested in the yo-yo-ing approach (W Brom, Norwich). He wants NP to turn Derby into a combine harvester for next season and we go up Champions, and stay put.

The money for finishing 17th in the Premier League 2018/2019 will probably be enough for a medium sized space program.

7 hours ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Even before the summer spending I thought it was going to be a hard one!

At least there's no expectations this season!

I expect there will be booing.

Archived