Alternatives to NOT spending money

robglosta

I have seen a load of nonsense posted/published in the press/comments on Sky about us splashing the cash, trying to buy the league etc etc.  

What is the alternative? We are blessed that we have a Chairman who supports the club, who can support a manager with the finances to mould and build a squad.  

The media and clubs/fans/managers who criticise this approach can only be jealous.  Would they not prefer players like Vydra, Kodjia to be stamped on their rumour lists? Of course they would, they pay their gate fees to be entertained - would they prefer their Chairman pocketed any surplus cash?   

My question is what is the alternative these days? You have to spend money to get out of this league, especially now the game has changed with the Sky funds and the market going mad.  If you don't spend; you simply tread water, at best, as over the course of the season there is hardly ever enough squad depth in a low budget side.

So long as we keep within any FFP restrictions; I am happy for Mel to keep investing.  

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Nit sureuve heard anyone saying we've splashed the cash?

we bought vydra and sold Albentosa for a profit and also sold shotton.

fees accrued and wages saved from those plus the others we've released in frees will cover the transfer fee

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/rival-championship-fans-call-bullshit-on-derbys-ridiculous-spending-power/82254

Nigel Clough in his Sky interview. 

Etc. 

The downside is that clubs see us spending and want more in transfer fees and the rat agents try n get higher wages for the player and a higher cut for themselves!

Hate all the money in football now, specially after the multi millionaire flops in the summer and now, maybe some of the derby players sitting on high wages etc etc, you all known what im on about, its sad that its got to this. OP is sadly right!

16 hours ago, robglosta said:

I have seen a load of nonsense posted/published in the press/comments on Sky about us splashing the cash, trying to buy the league etc etc.  

What is the alternative? We are blessed that we have a Chairman who supports the club, who can support a manager with the finances to mould and build a squad.  

The media and clubs/fans/managers who criticise this approach can only be jealous.  Would they not prefer players like Vydra, Kodjia to be stamped on their rumour lists? Of course they would, they pay their gate fees to be entertained - would they prefer their Chairman pocketed any surplus cash?   

My question is what is the alternative these days? You have to spend money to get out of this league, especially now the game has changed with the Sky funds and the market going mad.  If you don't spend; you simply tread water, at best, as over the course of the season there is hardly ever enough squad depth in a low budget side.

So long as we keep within any FFP restrictions; I am happy for Mel to keep investing.  

Whats the alternative?

A sustainable club which invests in youth, scouts lower domestic/foreign leagues for unpolished gems & only splashes the cash for quality far in excess of current players in the squad. 

Of our current squad of players, our stand out/most marketable current players are Hughes (youth), Hendrick (youth) & Martin (free). Bryson & Russell who have been regular starters for past 3/4 years were both bought for less than £1m. 

I just can't get on board with the idea of throwing cash around to get out of a division - building a team is about identifying strengths/weaknesses and recruiting from a variety of sources, not a fantasy football supermarket sweep of players that happen to have played a handful of games at Premier League level or are flavour of the month in this division. 

Mel Morris is undoubtedly a good thing for Derby County. I'm not convinced that the amounts being spent have been good for Derby County though. Out of our big spends in the last 18 months (£3m plus), I can't think of a single player who has increased his market value with us.

I don't really understand the draft system in American football, but perhaps someone could enlighten me. I'm really curious to know how it works, why it exists, and if a version of it could ever work in proper football. 

Also, why is no one chucking their weight behind the idea of a wage cap, or at least an agency fees cap? Is it a conspiracy by the agents? It's a total scandal that a footballer can earn in a day considerably more than a well off person would earn in a year. What's even the point in earning that much money? Even more so when you consider how much people like the gb hockey team earn, a group of players who have actually achieved something of note. Even more so when you consider wages across a team, compared with an individual athlete like, say, mo farrah. 

58 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Don't worry what anyone else thinks of us. That works. 

How come big spending is frowned upon unless you're in the top 4. Then it's exciting? Wtf? 

While i liked the sentiment in your comment, the sad truth is that as the big 4 spends ridiculous sums on a player, that by definition drags the price of everyone behind them up with them ! So some silly money gets spent (Kodija -15million ?? ), and i feel sorry for guys like MM, who i believe has his heart in the right place as far as we are concerned,but fans will be berating him badly if and when we dont get to the prem for not spending those sums !   

You need to have a manager that can find quality players with not much budget and also give youth a try. 

I think Clough took us as far as he could, but there's no doubt he knew how to sign good players for little money.

Since Morris came in this strategy has gone out of the window and we've spent a lot of money on players that haven't helped the team or club progress to where it wants to be.

Our transfer policy or whatever is at fault needs to revert back to the time before the club had a owner that was willing to spend.

Archived