Goals all over the team

FrostedRam

Just watched the channel 5 highlights and Adam Virgo suggested that we have goals all over the team. 

This statement couldn't be further from the truth

Our defenders rarely score or even look like scoring. Especially when it comes to set plays. Yes I know our two goals scored this year have been keogh and Forsyth, but that's probably theirs done for then season now. We may as well save our energy at set plays and just leave them at the back

Bryson - will never replicate his high scoring season. Looks a shadow of the player he used to be.

Hughes - for the most gifted midfielder we've ever produced. Does not score enough, or even shoot. I can't remember the last time he even had a shot at goal. 

Russell - most he will get in a season is 10.

Ince - same as russell

Martin - obviously our main supply of goals. But only if the play suits his style and he is on form.

This obviously highlights the over reliance on Martin and shows that as at present when he is out of form, the goals for the whole team dry up.

i came away from the game fairly positive yesterday but in the hope that we can get a couple of new attacking players to freshen up the team. I would have to say I would also see if wolves will up their bid for Martin to fund the replacements.

if you had two new strikers capable of getting 15-20 goals, hi sound ideally only need one of these to be on form at a given time. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

Just watched the channel 5 highlights and Adam Virgo suggested that we have goals all over the team. 

Our defenders rarely score or even look like scoring. Especially when it comes to set plays. Yes I know our two goals scored this year have been keogh and Forsyth, but that's probably theirs done for then season now. We may as well save our energy at set plays and just leave them at the back

Bryson - will never replicate his high scoring season. Looks a shadow of the player he used to be.

Hughes - for the most gifted midfielder we've ever produced. Does not score enough, or even shoot. I can't remember the last time he even had a shot at goal. 

Russell - most he will get in a season is 10.

Ince - same as russell

Martin - obviously our main supply of goals. But only if the play suits his style and he is on form.

This obviously highlights the over reliance on Martin and shows that as at present when he is out of form, the goals for the whole team dry up.

i came away from the game fairly positive yesterday but in the hope that we can get a couple of new attacking players to freshen up the team. I would have to say I would also see if wolves will up their bid for Martin to fund the replacements.

if you had two new strikers capable of getting 15-20 goals, hi sound ideally only need one of these to be on form at a given time. 

Ince scored 12 last season only 3 behind Martin. Butterfield scored 9. Russell scored about 10 as well so there are goals all over the team we just seem to be more focused on defense that attack at the moment.

On a positive note though we have added Wilson to the squad today who I think is capable of inputting as well. I think another striker is likely to arrive as well before the transfer window ends.

That would still only equate to 45 goals. Promoted teams generally score double that. 

We need to get away from the over reliance of Martin. 

There is a definite focus on not conceding this year. Hopefully it should all click in the next few weeks. 

We have to off load some of those from season 14/15 as they are now possibly peaked.

We have got Wilson for the season, possibly permanently if it goes well and I can see a couple more coming in.

Martin off to Wolves......?

We do rely on Martin a lot but he does need the support to get chances to score. Bent gets double the chances Martin gets and misses most of them. Yeah CM should've got at least one at Preston, but he's barely had any chances in other matches. Once the midfield clicks (which I think is the main part of the system that is going wrong at the moment), the forwards - whoever they may be - should click too. 

12 minutes ago, JimmyDCFC said:

We do rely on Martin a lot but he does need the support to get chances to score. Bent gets double the chances Martin gets and misses most of them. Yeah CM should've got at least one at Preston, but he's barely had any chances in other matches. Once the midfield clicks (which I think is the main part of the system that is going wrong at the moment), the forwards - whoever they may be - should click too. 

That's not true. Jimmy. Bent converts at a far better rate (per mins played) than Martin but both are dire right now, for different reasons. We need to look elsewhere and I am pleased Pearson is. He should have done it far sooner.

20 minutes ago, JimmyDCFC said:

This is sooo true Jimmy. No forward would have scored yesterday (although I thought Bent missed an easy header) there wasn't enough being created in and around the box. Ince, Russell, Butterfield, Bryson didn't look like they score in a month of Sundays and created zilch or nearly zilch! We need another striker as well for sure but the midfield need a kick up the *rse!

I think our glory days of banging lots of goals are long gone under Pearson. He's clearly building a more consistent squad from the back as regards regular results. I still think he's right doing it this way but as fans we will need to be very patient this season & give the man time. 

As regards what we have up front, James Wilson will of course be a very welcome addition, but I think over time Pearson will discover he will need a bit of a clearout in order to bring about consistent regular goal scoring. I'm beginning to think we look very bland in attack, things are in need of freshening up.

2 hours ago, JimmyDCFC said:

Bent might have double the chances, but that's because he creates them himself by playing of the last man. At lot of his chances are instinct and therefore not all will go in. 

On 8/21/2016 at 11:31, FrostedRam said:

Well Mr Virgo, would you Adam and Eve it?!

Corbyn to be Prime Minister in 2020 eh Adam, seeing as this is your foresight.

Archived