My lad's first away game

Kinder

Could do with some advice please guys.  My lad is 7, he's had a season ticket for a couple of years and I was thinking of taking him to Barnsley for his first away game.  I haven't been to Oakwell myself - what's it like?  Is it relatively friendly or will there be loads of abuse?  I'm expecting him to learn a lot of new words that can't be repeated to his Mum, but I wouldn't take him if it's going to be seriously hostile.  I'm hoping it'll be a massive crowd from Derby and a good atmosphere.

Cheers

Kinder

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing at an away game like that he won't hear at the iPro.

I can't imagine Barnsley will be too bad, its not like they're a rival like Forest, or have a reputation for being a dirty club, fans wise a la Millwall.

I haven't been to Oakwell myself, will be going this time though as its my birthday on the day! I daresay he'll be safe. Usual away mentality, don't go looking for trouble, and it won't find you.

2 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Could do with some advice please guys.  My lad is 7, he's had a season ticket for a couple of years and I was thinking of taking him to Barnsley for his first away game.  I haven't been to Oakwell myself - what's it like?  Is it relatively friendly or will there be loads of abuse?  I'm expecting him to learn a lot of new words that can't be repeated to his Mum, but I wouldn't take him if it's going to be seriously hostile.  I'm hoping it'll be a massive crowd from Derby and a good atmosphere.

Cheers

Kinder

Exactly that.

Just might be wise to get away quickly on the slight off-chance something kicks off.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

There's nothing at an away game like that he won't hear at the iPro.

I can't imagine Barnsley will be too bad, its not like they're a rival like Forest, or have a reputation for being a dirty club, fans wise a la Millwall.

I haven't been to Oakwell myself, will be going this time though as its my birthday on the day! I daresay he'll be safe. Usual away mentality, don't go looking for trouble, and it won't find you.

Thanks mate - hope you enjoy your birthday!

3 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Cheers

Kinder

Been to the Barnsley game a couple of times and really enjoyed the day. The home supporters we met were friendly enough though I'm sure there isn't a club in the land who don't have a few idiots in their midst.

It's a very old fashioned ground but if you go I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Been a few times. The main away stand is pretty big, and isn't a garden shed like the one adjacent to it on the right (which we took over as well when we took 7.5k). Easy to get to, and it's one of those where you feel like you've taken over quite easily because the home fans tend to come from the other way.

3 hours ago, Kinder said:

Cheers

Kinder

One of my best mates is a Tyke though he doesn't go much anymore as he's had enough of tickets being too expensive. Been loads of times to Oakwell both with him in the home end and with lower league teams and always had no problems with their fans. You won't have any problems there especially if you've got a kid with you. There is some street parking on Donny Road just before you get to a little hill to go down to Oakwell or they have a car park just next to the away end but not sure if you need to book it. Don't park in the Metrodome car park just behind the ground or they'll nail you with a parking fine.

I'm like you Kinder in the fact i'm taking my kid to her first home game on Saturday and also concerned about loutish behaviour home and away but i'm in the family stand and managed to get a parking spot nearby so hopefully all will be a really good enjoyable day out, a rams win and she won't be crying about going to the Grimsby game the following Tuesday! :D

I won't be taking her to any away games until she's comfortable with how everything is at the iPro and even then I might only take her to ones where away fan numbers aren't likely to be sold out like Brighton etc. I'll expect rowdiness and swearing at away games especially as traditionally they are days out for away fans, going out drinking and making themselves heard etc, not a problem with that but i'll just go to most on my own or with a friend and take her to away games against teams who don't have a large knucklehead following and where Derby fans won't fill the away end (if this happens ever - I don't know).

Going to Derby games isn't like going to watch a York game or whatever where you can amble down the street at 2.50pm on a Saturday and wonder if the game is even on as it's that quiet. Where you can pick your seat and sit in splendid isolation if you wanted spread your large girth across 3 seats (in my case anyway :lol:). At Derby there are fans everywhere and it takes some getting used to especially if you are a 7 year old kid and not used to it so I know exactly where you're coming from. The good thing is your lad has been to home games for a while now so it should be water off a ducks back for him hopefully.

Hope you both have a great day Kinder anyway and best of luck!

Bit random I know but when we played couple of seasons ago I drove up taking my lad and his mate that were both 8 at the time, got there about eleven,and parked on the street next to the entrance to leisure centre. Took them for a swim as it's a pool with diving boards loads of slides and a wave machine. Lunch Sat in cafe at side of pool which was usual pool cafe fare but cheap. Wandered over took in the atmosphere, watched the game, no hassle at all back to car and as on street at leisure centre end ( 200 metres) from ground straight out and home.

4 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

One of my best mates is a Tyke though he doesn't go much anymore as he's had enough of tickets being too expensive. Been loads of times to Oakwell both with him in the home end and with lower league teams and always had no problems with their fans. You won't have any problems there especially if you've got a kid with you. There is some street parking on Donny Road just before you get to a little hill to go down to Oakwell or they have a car park just next to the away end but not sure if you need to book it. Don't park in the Metrodome car park just behind the ground or they'll nail you with a parking fine.

I'm like you Kinder in the fact i'm taking my kid to her first home game on Saturday and also concerned about loutish behaviour home and away but i'm in the family stand and managed to get a parking spot nearby so hopefully all will be a really good enjoyable day out, a rams win and she won't be crying about going to the Grimsby game the following Tuesday! :D

I won't be taking her to any away games until she's comfortable with how everything is at the iPro and even then I might only take her to ones where away fan numbers aren't likely to be sold out like Brighton etc. I'll expect rowdiness and swearing at away games especially as traditionally they are days out for away fans, going out drinking and making themselves heard etc, not a problem with that but i'll just go to most on my own or with a friend and take her to away games against teams who don't have a large knucklehead following and where Derby fans won't fill the away end (if this happens ever - I don't know).

Going to Derby games isn't like going to watch a York game or whatever where you can amble down the street at 2.50pm on a Saturday and wonder if the game is even on as it's that quiet. Where you can pick your seat and sit in splendid isolation if you wanted spread your large girth across 3 seats (in my case anyway :lol:). At Derby there are fans everywhere and it takes some getting used to especially if you are a 7 year old kid and not used to it so I know exactly where you're coming from. The good thing is your lad has been to home games for a while now so it should be water off a ducks back for him hopefully.

Hope you both have a great day Kinder anyway and best of luck!

Thanks mate and thanks to everyone for the wise words.  Kinder Jnr and I will be there a week Saturday!

8 hours ago, Kinder said:

Cheers

Kinder

Nice post. You seem like a good egg.

I think it's sit where you want as well, which is good for kids - don't have any numpties standing infront of you in row C. Well, hopefully. 

16 hours ago, Kinder said:

Cheers

Kinder

Get him there!! 

Cracking away day, particularly when we get that away end packed like we did the other year. 

I can't mating he will hear much more than what he would on any other match day at the ipro ?

Archived