The Prem... ??

nfb

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Realism 

Pessimism, surely.

Not kicked a ball yet and football aint played on paper... having said that, at least if we don't go up you'll have the 'pleasure' of telling everyone you were right all along (and if we do go up, the pleasure of telling everyone "I'm glad they proved me wrong"). The beauty of being a pessamist (or, if you will, realist) is that you're gojng to be happy either way.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Pessimism, surely.

Not kicked a ball yet and football aint played on paper... having said that, at least if we don't go up you'll have the 'pleasure' of telling everyone you were right all along (and if we do go up, the pleasure of telling everyone "I'm glad they proved me wrong"). The beauty of being a pessamist (or, if you will, realist) is that you're gojng to be happy either way.

I've wanted to go up for the last many many seasons. 

I get no pleasure watching Derby floundering in the Championship. 

I just dont get this optimism I mean what has changed from last season apart from a new management team. 

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

I just dont get this optimism I mean what has changed from last season apart from a new management team. 

I'm neither being optimistic or pessimistic. The realistic thing to do is wait for the games to be played, seevid we win, lose or draw and then make a judgement based on, you know, the facts.

Not for nothing, but wouldn't you say the management team constitutes a pretty substantial change which may, or may not, result in a pretty substantial change in performance? Again, won't know until we play. 

17 minutes ago, curtains said:

I think a managerial change is rather significant, it pales in comparison to the change of shorts and top of shirt sponsor but significant it remains.

6 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I'm neither being optimistic or pessimistic. The realistic thing to do is wait for the games to be played, seevid we win, lose or draw and then make a judgement based on, you know, the facts.

Not for nothing, but wouldn't you say the management team constitutes a pretty substantial change which may, or may not, result in a pretty substantial change in performance? Again, won't know until we play. 

I'm basing this on the quality of the opposition teams we will face .

I don't see us improving enough with just a manager change to get top 2 and then win the playoffs if we get top 6. 

I think Newcastle and Norwich will finish top 2 

5 hours ago, David said:

Yes. I want to see Derby County compete in the best league in the world.

I could never imagine sitting here and thinking, the Championship is cosy, let's stay here and go through play off failure season after season. 

Being in a Premier League relegation battle season after season would give me more pleasure, the goal, the ambition of stability in the worlds best league and once that's been achieved you try and take the club on to the next level, challenging for Europe, then.....

Accepting where we are with zero ambition to be the best you can be, no way Pedro.

Not much chance of Derby getting promoted to La Liga... :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, curtains said:

On 28/07/2016 at 09:21, curtains said:

I'm backing Pearson and so should Derby fans  

Pretty much the responses i expected, and some i didn't, i would like to see us go up and compete, but worry as i said about the angst on here,(i know, dont come here) but  i enjoy reading these pages,the decent debates, the evaluations, and as i dont get to many games due to work, so your match views are a real bonus, but i get totally off here when we lose for obvious reasons.

I think that for MM last season was a lesson. I think having listened to his interviews he's intelligent man, and i think he will have learnt a lot, i also believe he got his man in NP, lets hope so, because for real football fans seeing kids come through and doing well is great, its 'grass roots' football, and is why i like lower league stuff rather than the Chelski style

So fingers crossed guys, i think this next season will be another interesting one, and it will be fascinating to see if NP can work the magic that he did a fester, cos if he does start to, i think MM is the kind of owner who is loyal and will back his man through thick and thin, so im optimistic for the future

Onwards and Upwards

More than annoyed that teams like Bournemouth, Watford etc are spending huge sums on unknown players. It could have been us on three occasions now. The Financial gap is becoming huge. I do not really want to watch DCFC getting beaten evert week. The Zamora incident has cost us a lot of loot but may be for the better.

The thing is if you are not going forwards you are going backwards.

Going forwards means pushing for promotion all the time whatever division you are in. Get it completely right and you go up, get it part right and you get to stay in the division you are in (even if losing in the play-offs makes you want to gnaw your own arm off). Winning 'relegation battles' is effectively pushing like mad at the end of a season to 'promote' yourself back into the divsion you are in now.

Get your slippers on in the Championship and suddenly you will be adrift.

54 minutes ago, Rampage said:

More than annoyed that teams like Bournemouth, Watford etc are spending huge sums on unknown players. It could have been us on three occasions now. The Financial gap is becoming huge. I do not really want to watch DCFC getting beaten evert week. The Zamora incident has cost us a lot of loot but may be for the better.

Loot which was completely wasted by qpr judging by where they currently are.

All of which I guess justifies the philosophy of sustainability. If you just gain promotion in an poorly thought through structure you can go backwards! 

35 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Loot which was completely wasted by qpr judging by where they currently are.

All of which I guess justifies the philosophy of sustainability. If you just gain promotion in an poorly thought through structure you can go backwards! 

Which brings us back to the Breakfast Club, and why Mel was so keen to explain what he meant by "The Derby Way" - his template for success.

Promotion isn't a target in itself - it's a inevitable consequence of attaining the targets.

Archived