Bigger and better pitch.

Ram@Lincoln

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

But that only applies to the couple of races the two athletes run in their respective categories. You're assuming that their training only involves them running their specific meters over and over. It's far more likely they have mixed training methods, involving running at different speeds over varying distances to increase basic fitness, then hone it by running their particular distance. 

But that only applies to the couple of races the two athletes run in their respective categories. You're assuming that their training only involves them running their specific meters over and over. It's far more likely they have mixed training methods, involving running at different speeds over varying distances to increase basic fitness, then hone it by running their particular distance. 

I'm not assuming that at all, what I was saying was the opposite. The original post suggested players playing on a larger pitch would be fitter. Thus neglecting all work they do for the rest of the week. My comparison to athletes was to show further doesn't mean fitter, as you point out its the weeks months and years of hard work that effects fitness and not what occurs during competition 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard they buried half-fans to undersoil and grass is strenghtened with plastics. When they start to change seating in West Stand I can assure you (Vicars?) that my armchair ain't moving without the fight! :angry:

On 7/1/2016 at 13:17, SaintRam said:

Maybe not, but his point about a larger pitch making it easier to play against teams that come to defend is true, and that's all the reasoning required.

It's also easier for opposition with pace up front to counter attack

8 hours ago, Doodle said:

Also with fitness levels, if this logic is applied a athlete who runs the 800 metres at this summers Olympics should be twice as fit as someone who runs the 400. Which obviously isn't the case 

That is a question of pacing not fitness. The WR for 400m is about 43 seconds. The 800m about 1;41 ish, The footballer can quite logically have to run further at a higher tempo on a larger pitch, the end result will be greater fitness and endurance levels.

58 minutes ago, bcnram said:

That is a question of pacing not fitness. The WR for 400m is about 43 seconds. The 800m about 1;41 ish, The footballer can quite logically have to run further at a higher tempo on a larger pitch, the end result will be greater fitness and endurance levels.

Not if Paul Clement is doing the training :ph34r:

57 minutes ago, bcnram said:

You simply won't have to run further. The ball will travel further, the players extra distance will be negligible. It could be argued that a smaller pitch would be more tiring. More constant stop/start sprints, twisting and turning which are more explosive on the muscles and more draining than running in straight lines. 

I just like the idea of space. It creates oportunities (for both sides) makes for a more open exciting game. A bit of room for flying wingers too. And a bonus that somehow as fans we are half a yard nearer the action. Bring it on ?

20 minutes ago, Doodle said:

You simply won't have to run further. The ball will travel further, the players extra distance will be negligible. It could be argued that a smaller pitch would be more tiring. More constant stop/start sprints, twisting and turning which are more explosive on the muscles and more draining than running in straight lines. 

Nope, you are wrong. This is the Championship, not stroke the ball directly to feet Premier League. Many more sprints to get to balls that they would have given up on. If you are playing small pitch football then yes that is a different game, not comparable. If you are sprinting 10 yards to get to the ball but the guy with the whitewash has put the line 1 yard further out, then you are increasing your effort by 10%. If you do that a few times in a game and in training because the pitches will be exacto, then it is going to help your fitness / endurance.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

Nope, you are wrong. This is the Championship, not stroke the ball directly to feet Premier League. Many more sprints to get to balls that they would have given up on. If you are playing small pitch football then yes that is a different game, not comparable. If you are sprinting 10 yards to get to the ball but the guy with the whitewash has put the line 1 yard further out, then you are increasing your effort by 10%. If you do that a few times in a game and in training because the pitches will be exacto, then it is going to help your fitness / endurance.

Sorry to contradict but I am in fact correct. Firstly you are totally ignoring sports science. Each player will have his fitness, endurance, strength and recovery measured and monitored. This will be different for each player and position. The sports science department will have an optimum level for each player and will tailor each players training accordingly.( do you think all players train in the same way and for the same duration?) what that means is after pre-season ideally but in practical terms after the first 2-3 games. Each player will be at peak fitness. Let's say you are correct ( which your are not and I will explain why later). That the bigger pitch causes 10% more energy to be used. The sports scientist will simply reduce the training by 10% to keep the optimum level of exercise per week. Right let's move on to the specifics of your claim that a bigger pitch will cause a 10% increase in energy used by players running further to chase balls etc. What you are overlooking is it will take the individual player longer to chase the ball the further it goes. It will take players longer to walk over to take corners, throw ins etc. Thus the ball will be out of play longer or in opposing half longer allowing more rest time between action so the net effect is 0% more effort used. Hope this helps clarify my point. I didn't do a 4 year sports science degree for nothing ( I admit) 

• 1 month later...
Just now, Srg said:

Reads like a paid for news article. The quote from Bryson is so manufactured. 

Right? Thought the same thing :lol: Couldn't think of the word to describe it when I posted so just left it. Completely manufactured. 

'I have enjoyed training on the new SISGrass pitches at our training centre.'

'The players have already noticed how well the playing surface plays. I am now looking forward to running out on the new SISGrass surface at the iPro Stadium for the forthcoming Sky Bet Championship season.'

he says, staring blankly at a sheet of paper, before rejoining training.

'The players have already noticed how well the playing surface plays. I am now looking forward to running out on the new SISGrass surface at the iPro Stadium for the forthcoming Sky Bet Championship season.

Oh my lord, that's such a terrible "quote". If that really is the way he talks though, he must be a blast at parties.

Just now, Wolfie said:

'The players have already noticed how well the playing surface plays. I am now looking forward to running out on the new SISGrass surface at the iPro Stadium for the forthcoming Sky Bet Championship season.

Oh my lord, that's such a terrible "quote". If that really is the way he talks though, he must be a blast at parties.

We know it's not how he talks, he's had a lot of interviews on Rams Player. 

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We know it's not how he talks, he's had a lot of interviews on Rams Player. 

No, I know, it was just an amusing picture in my head, him talking in a group & being sure to mention every sponsor's name as he talked - shortly followed by everyone wandering off.

Archived