Bigger and better pitch.

Ram@Lincoln

In the interview on Ramsplayer near the end the groundsman says the pitch will be a couple of metres longer and wider, have synthetic turf around the outside of the pitch and the advertising boards are in different places. Could it be like the old BBG with the fans almost on top of the pitch!?!

Did Leicester have big pitches? Something of a Pearson trait?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a lot of teams come to defend against us, it's just common sense if we can make the pitch bigger so that there's more space on it. Also, playing regularly on a larger pitch should mean we're fitter. Finally, I remember the days of the old synthetic pitches at the likes of QPR have the home teams a huge advantage. If this pitch takes a little getting used to in terms of how to play effectively, that should give us a massive home advantage which might even counteract the booing.

Of course I'd still take the Baseball Ground mudbath every time!

30hlt0k.png

I took this snippet of the video for anyone who doesn't know what's being done to the pitch. 

Essentially it's a normal grass pitch, but plastic is "sewn" into it to provide anchorage for the roots.

Just now, Ram@Lincoln said:

Says on the Ramsplayer video that it takes 6 days of a machine running 24/7 to 'stitch' the pitch in to the ground. That sounds very expensive, lets hope its worth it.

He also said something along the lines of "there are a couple of these pitches in Europe (2x Turkey, 1x Russia iirc) but from a marketing perspective if you want to sell these you have to get one placed in the UK." (where groundsman are the best) 

That suggests to me that a deal has been done on this pitch. I've experienced, in my short working life, enough circumstances of getting a product to a customer on the cheap, somewhere that we want to sell, so we can get it "out there". 

3 minutes ago, froggg said:

As SR says it's a normal grass pitch, the plastic will not be proud of the ground?

Image suggests it'll be a couple of cm above the soil, but I'm not sure how accurate that is, just a good example of the theory behind.

Maybe there'll be one blade of grass every so many that's plastic? I'm not sure how it'll look. 

It goes down as normal turf, they thread plastic into it. That's all I know :p When everyone invades the pitch after we clinch promotion someone needs to get down and take a close up photo. 

They mention that they pitch will be a lot more hard wearing, which will allow for potential events on the pitch. Could we get music concerts back to the stadium? Remember when Red Hot Chili Peppers played PPS, that was a great night.

Maybe not, but his point about a larger pitch making it easier to play against teams that come to defend is true, and that's all the reasoning required.

2 hours ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Thats not true at all

What have i missed? It seems to me that if you're running around in a larger area you will likely end up fitter than if you're running around in a smaller area. If you're sprinting full out to reach a ball that's a couple of yards further away than would otherwise be the case, why won't you become fitter in the long run?

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

What have i missed? It seems to me that if you're running around in a larger area you will likely end up fitter than if you're running around in a smaller area. If you're sprinting full out to reach a ball that's a couple of yards further away than would otherwise be the case, why won't you become fitter in the long run?

The term the ball does the work applies here. The larger the pitch the more space to thread a pass, thus less running required not more. It is also no harder to defend on a bigger pitch. Keep your shape push the attacking team wide then hoof it upfield when you get it. The bigger the pitch the longer it takes to attack you again. 

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Also with fitness levels, if this logic is applied a athlete who runs the 800 metres at this summers Olympics should be twice as fit as someone who runs the 400. Which obviously isn't the case 

But that only applies to the couple of races the two athletes run in their respective categories. You're assuming that their training only involves them running their specific meters over and over. It's far more likely they have mixed training methods, involving running at different speeds over varying distances to increase basic fitness, then hone it by running their particular distance. 

Archived