Puny Englishmen Prepare To Be Smited

ramit

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think once it's 2-0 it's all over. After Portugal went 1-0 up against a defensive Iceland team, many would have predicted the floodgates to open but that never happened and it ended up being a draw.

Iceland will get a chance tomorrow. Whether that comes via a long-range effort, a set-piece or defensive mix-up. I'm quite worried about our poor defending at crosses. Iceland will target that.

The qualifying games have pretty much gone to plan. Germany, Belgium, Wales and France were all favourites to progress and did so within the 90 minutes. Poland/Swiss and Portugal/Croatia were deemed 50/50 so came as little surprise to see them both go to extra time.

There hasn't been a shock yet, and usually there is always one! Let's hope it happens in the quarter-finals and not tomorrow!

I think the shock might come when Italy play Spain....

It goes to show what a farce the extra large Euro's has been, when after all the fuss has died down we end up with

Germany, Belgium, France, Poland, Portugal, England, Italy/Spain (hopefully Italy) and Wales in the quarter finals, these were probably everyone's bankers to be there. The rest of the teams have just made up the extra large numbers.

All the hipsters spouting about their dark horses being Austria, Croatia, Russia etc and it has ended up the usual suspects once again. (with the great unwashed in there of course - they have got Gareth Bale I don't know if you knew or not?)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I think the shock might come when Italy play Spain....

It goes to show what a farce the extra large Euro's has been, when after all the fuss has died down we end up with

Germany, Belgium, France, Poland, Portugal, England, Italy/Spain (hopefully Italy) and Wales in the quarter finals, these were probably everyone's bankers to be there. The rest of the teams have just made up the extra large numbers.

All the hipsters spouting about their dark horses being Austria, Croatia, Russia etc and it has ended up the usual suspects once again. (with the great unwashed in there of course - they have got Gareth Bale I don't know if you knew or not?)

i see you are counting your chickens before they hatch, good good :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think once it's 2-0 it's all over. After Portugal went 1-0 up against a defensive Iceland team, many would have predicted the floodgates to open but that never happened and it ended up being a draw.

Iceland will get a chance tomorrow. Whether that comes via a long-range effort, a set-piece or defensive mix-up. I'm quite worried about our poor defending at crosses. Iceland will target that.

The qualifying games have pretty much gone to plan. Germany, Belgium, Wales and France were all favourites to progress and did so within the 90 minutes. Poland/Swiss and Portugal/Croatia were deemed 50/50 so came as little surprise to see them both go to extra time.

There hasn't been a shock yet, and usually there is always one! Let's hope it happens in the quarter-finals and not tomorrow!

All valid points. Ireland came closest to upsetting France until they ran out of legs, not helped by significantly less recovery time from group games. 

England may also benefit from that - they've had 3 days more rest? Really hope that they manage to win in 90 min. 

The experiment has failed. You look at a few teams in the Euros and compare them to our domestic league and they aren't even Premiership quality. Have to assume national pride means they have also overperformed. That said, if those who have opted to park the bus in an attempt to get beyond the group stages were allowed to play more freely they might look a little better.

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

All valid points. Ireland came closest to upsetting France until they ran out of legs, not helped by significantly less recovery time from group games. 

England may also benefit from that - they've had 3 days more rest? Really hope that they manage to win in 90 min. 

If Iceland had not scored that last second winner against Austria we would have ended up in third place and instead of getting 4 precious days to rest would have gotten 2 and faced Croatia.  It's perfect for us, any longer a rest and the men would get bored. 

When the draw against Iceland became clear the English commentators were pleased but still warned it would be a tough game.  As the days have passed their tune has changed dramatically.  Any longer a rest for the England team and they will have won the competition already.  Alan Shearer says defeat against Iceland is unthinkable and should be a walk in the park and Rio Ferdinand quotes Rooney pointing to how England has dominated all their games so far:blink:  Out of the goodness of his heart Thierry Henry tried to warn them to be very careful and not get overconfident but they brushed it off in some quarter final dreamland already.

Make no mistake, this is the biggest game in Iceland's history, we are fully focused for it and have not satisfied our hunger yet.  Take that lightly at your peril, but it's just the sort of stuff that gets us even more determined to have a right go.  Lars Lagerback has met England on six occasions and never lost.  Just ignore that inconsequential fact too.  One more fact to throw out there is Iceland are only the third newcomer team in the history of this competition to go out of the group stage undefeated.

Bring it on Englishmen, bring it on.

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

England have dominated every game so far and we will do today. 

Easy win. Enjoy your cup final. 

Scraping a draw against a surprisingly poor Russian side, edging it in the last minutes against your little but heroic brother Wales and unable to break down a lackluster Slovakian side which Germany showed how to dominate.  Pride comes before a fall and oh it will be so sweet.  You had better win this or the world will never let you forget about it, we on the other hand have nothing to lose having proven our worth already.  Seems your lot should be the nervous ones. :D

13 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

England have dominated every game so far and we will do today. 

Easy win. Enjoy your cup final. 

Dominated every game and managed a draw in 2. Iceland will be harder to break down than both Russia and Slovakia. We *should* win easily, but if we keep up our mediocrity in the final 3rd this could easily go all the way past ET and England have the worst penalty record in the world (out of countries who've been in more than 2). 

Pre-game cockiness is all well and good if we do turn it on and win in style, which we could, but it's dangerous pre-game against the best defense we've played so far.

I have got absolutely no confidence that England will win this match. In fairness I am not that bothered. Iceland may do a0-0 after extra time on us. they will get at least one clear cut chance in the game and if they score from it then we are in trouble. If we score from our first clear cut chance we could do them. Last got excited about an England team when Venables was manager. My pet hate is 21 year old footballers on huge wages but not turning up in some games. Watching some teams with all the players giving 100% for 95 minutes is refreshing and together they may be earning less than Rooney on his own.

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I have got absolutely no confidence that England will win this match. In fairness I am not that bothered. Iceland may do a0-0 after extra time on us. they will get at least one clear cut chance in the game and if they score from it then we are in trouble. If we score from our first clear cut chance we could do them. Last got excited about an England team when Venables was manager. My pet hate is 21 year old footballers on huge wages but not turning up in some games. Watching some teams with all the players giving 100% for 95 minutes is refreshing and together they may be earning less than Rooney on his own.

Football is about passion not paychecks.  Agree with you as usual. 

Rampage what a guy!

Italy to beat Germany, highlight of Tournament?

News Flash - Referendum Results on whether Sterling should start 

100% Turnout

65,000,001 voted

Yes - 1 vote

No - 65,000,000

It was a secret ballot so nobody knows who say 'yes'.

The 'Man from Del Monte' was not qualified to vote. :thumbsup:

Archived