Looks like we might be the underdogs. Or everybody hates us.

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Straight away I can't think more obvious (and poor) mindgame attempt.

to be fair, it was Sky themselves who ascribed this quote about disappointment to Hughton and they then played an interview where he didn't really say anything of the sort.

He did, however,  try to play the "we've only had 4 days" card as they played on Monday and the first leg is obviously Friday.....

Personally, I don't think Hughton is the mind game sort. Not like a Warnock for example.....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lord_Ram said:

Don't care what other clubs think. Everyone hated QPR, look how that turned out

A lot of people seem to dislike us for "trying to buy the league", but Leicester spent well beyond FFP a couple of years ago when they got promoted and everybody seems to have forgotten that now. 

41 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

A lot of people seem to dislike us for "trying to buy the league", but Leicester spent well beyond FFP a couple of years ago when they got promoted and everybody seems to have forgotten that now. 

The spends seems to be the first thing on most pundits lips. Right-angle Ray was on TalkSpurt this morning alongside Alan Brazil and when asked whether it would be Derbys time to win the playoffs came out with the fact that he had expected us to get promoted because we spent £40m.

Apart from the fact that nobody challenges the number - just accept as gospel - nobody mentions the portion of that spend forced upon us as a result of serious injuries to 2 of our most influential players in the first match of the season!

We don't get enough credit for battling through our sometimes very bad luck imo.

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

As an aside, don't you want to pick up a 9 iron and smash the sh** out of your telly every time the Sky play offs ad with Holloway comes on???  Or is it just me???

It's a strange add. But I like the version that's almost all Derby clips. I let them off for that one.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It's a strange add. But I like the version that's almost all Derby clips. I let them off for that one.

Haven't seen that one, every time I've seen it it's the one where they show a two second clip of Ince to we're actually taking part in them...

Just now, ramsbottom said:

Haven't seen that one, every time I've seen it it's the one where they show a two second clip of Ince to we're actually taking part in them...

Yeah, the first one I saw was the Derby one. Seen the Hull one since. 

8 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Do Sheffield Wednesday have more fans than Derby? Why don't they go to their games then? I think the votes are driven by the gay vote for Brighton, the Premier league vote for Hull, and as for Wednesday I don't know but they have looked the best of the other three in our recent games. Plus we have had a habit of playing badly when the Sky cameras are on us. 

Sheffield Wednesday definitely have more fans than Derby, or at least more fans who use the internet, social media etc. Wolves, Forest and Leeds also have more fans in this regard too.

Wednesday won something like Sky Sports' Championship Player of the Month something like four or five times in succession simply because they had the majority of their own fans voting them.

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 17:30, kingsy1884 said:

The others take the easy option and go with Hull. Underdogs suits me fine qpr were last time out and that didn't end so badly for them. 

The easy option actually seems to be to choose Weds or Brighton, Wednesday due to them entering the Playoffs on a buzz having got in and Brighton because they did considerably better than the other sides over the season.

In my mind it's impossible to call as all 4 teams have strong cases. Weds have the buzz like any team finishing 6th and a strong forward line, but it's likely teams will score against them.

Derby enter the Playoffs with pretty good form and with the greatest strength in depth of the sides, though Thorne's injury may prove a blow.

Hull have the capability and a very strong first 11, but have the poor form compared to their adversaries.

Brighton have a great team spirit, are dangerous in attack, have had the best season, don't give up when chasing a game or reduced in numbers, but missing out on the autos could be a psychological blow and they can be vulnerable at the back.

There's no team that's guaranteed to even do well, but if pushed I would go for a Derby-Brighton encounter at Wembley where anything could happen.

Archived