George Thorne

Kernow

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Reduced our chances of getting promoted by 40% now that George Thorne is out. Pointless team selection for a dead rubber game.

Just one of those things.

If Martin hadn't got himself booked, it might have been Thorne who was replaced - but that's just as much hindsight as your statement.

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Reduced our chances of getting promoted by 40% now that George Thorne is out. Pointless team selection for a dead rubber game.

How true, why wasn't he rested?  Why do we do these things?  Some kind of death wish?  Are we secretly afraid of promotion?

Much less upbeat now I must admit, playoffs are now gonna be a real slog.

Put Jake in there as a purely defensive CM with instructions to break up enemy attacks, win the ball and get rid ASAP to any of the runners.  Cometh the hour...

Listen...I don't pretend to be Brian Clough or Alex Ferguson, but I do know that centre mid needs three main attributes to their game.

1. Ability to read what's in front of them and react fast to it.

2. Snuff out opposition play and then play a pass mainly putting us on the front foot.

3. Be comfortable on the ball when in possession. 

Bradley Johnson? Really??? 

He was struggling to pass a ball five feet when he was last in the shirt. The game, his last game when he scored a brace was due to his ability to bomb on, in and around Martin. Not being in possession of the ball for long periods... THATS his game. 

Centre Mid is not his position... 

19 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Exactly Rampage, could have been so easily prevented. Could be the difference whether we go up or stay down. We don't even have anyone to replace him because young hanson is injured and who knows how fit Baird is?

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

Listen...I don't pretend to be Brian Clough or Alex Ferguson, but I do know that centre mid needs three main attributes to their game.

1. Ability to read what's in front of them and react fast to it.

2. Snuff out opposition play and then play a pass mainly putting us on the front foot.

3. Be comfortable on the ball when in possession. 

Bradley Johnson? Really??? 

He was struggling to pass a ball five feet when he was last in the shirt. The game, his last game when he scored a brace was due to his ability to bomb on, in and around Martin. Not being in possession of the ball for long periods... THATS his game. 

Centre Mid is not his position... 

So what is his position?

People say he isn't a LM when he is played there and now he isn't a CM.

Gutted for him and us, terrible. But these things happen, we have a good squad with good cover, better than anyone else in the playoffs . Hope you get well soon George and come on you Rams 

I think playing the derby team who played Sheff Wed isnt such a bad shout.

Hughes plays holding, and you get a hendrick bradley johnson or butterfield who canmake runs in the box or actually pull the trigger at the edge of the box.

In a game like today where we largely played infront of their defense, two of our best first half chances came to Hughes whose shots were more like pass backs to the Keeper, thats one instance where Butterfield in the team might have seen us open the scoring today.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Exactly Rampage, could have been so easily prevented. Could be the difference whether we go up or stay down. We don't even have anyone to replace him because young hanson is injured and who knows how fit Baird is?

Let's just not play any of our first team players anymore just in case . 

27 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

My worry is vs Wednesday we were so open down the middle of the pitch due to not having Thorne. I pray to god Hughes isn't played CDM, completely wasted... Rather go 442 or play Johnno there

Even when he's having an off game offensively you can't replace his defensive qualities, and as you say Wednesday ran that midfield at times the game was crying out for Thorne. Big miss going into the playoffs!

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Completely agree 

I do, but still think it was the correct decision to play him.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

...if he's broken his leg it has nothing to do with making him play too many games. This is a broken clock prediction. 

Nonsense. If you're body's not working at maximum, everything is a bit slower and more awkward. Your brain might tell you to do something it knows you should be able to do, but the body can't always reacty as well. A rested and fitter George Thorne could very well get to the ball and have the shot away and be gone before the challenge comes in. But the extra fatigue of having to play and then having to play into the 80th minute made injury more likely.

Of course the other obvious point I didn't bother stating is that we're playing againt a Mick McCarthy team, and with it the most physical opposition playing style in the division. The team selection was unprofessional and indefensible and sadly we didn't get away with it. But it's not case of "bad luck"; it's bad management.

We move on, but as @Rampage says with something like a 40% reduced chance of promotion (in subjective Bayesian terms). Let's hope we still get there but we haven't half made it unnecessarily difficult for ourselves.

Archived