Darren Bent

LesterRam

There was a very long period earlier in the season, Martin's goal drought, that I thought Bent should have been given a chance during. 

Martin wasn't playing well, the system wasn't working, we weren't winning. The fact that Clement still refused to change anything up just screamed to me that Bent was utterly out of favour.

Now though, Bent seems happier (I know his social media posts etc. can come under "professionalism" but they weren't there at all really under PC).

Another thing I've been thinking about as well; I really hope that Bents goal + Bent/Blackman chance at the end reignites some confidence for Wassall in his ability to make substitutions. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bent gave a very humble short interview on the pitch for Sky after the Weds match. Hope he can do well for us and that DW has the confidence to use him more if our favoured system clearly isn't clicking.

was pretty obvious from mid first half that Martin was not getting much change out of Loovens and co on saturday. It happens, but we should feel able to change sooner rather than just plugging away.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Bent is the most successful player on Derby's books. 100 Premiership goals and played for England. He has nothing to prove but he proved it on saturday and last season. He may well be the difference in our promotion push.

Scott Carson has a Champions League winner medal, would say that makes him the most successful player on our books :p

6 hours ago, Ninos said:

Bent's problem is he's an offside machine and he hasn't proven he can link like Martin, but other than that, he's a better option as a pure striker. If he'd have started v Wed, he would have had about 4 or 5 goals, such was Martin's wastefulness and general apathy in moving towards the ball in the 6 yard box. Martin may be our top scorer, but his return of goals this season for a centre forward on a team with this much talent is pitiful. Walsall has to decide if Martin will actually play hard and significantly contribute in the playoffs, otherwise we should take our chances with Bent because the dude seems to score whenever he plays, as long as he's given more than a few token mins. The one time i recall him playing the whole game, we scored 4 v Bristol, arguably because he was such a menace to their defence and Ince fed off it.

I don't recall a more unfair treatment of a player at our club in terms of playing time. Hopefully, he will get a chance to show what he's got and make an impact on our quest for promotion. People know he can finish and that he's a great header of the ball, but one thing people don't know, is the man is absolutely lightning fast.

The level of knee-jerk on this forum is astounding sometimes. Bent scores a goal (which any semi-tall poacher should be scoring) and suddenly Martin needs to be ousted from the team. Chris Martin has created more chances than any other player in the league this season (whoscored stat) and he's our top scorer. Do you really think Bent would have 4 or 5 chances against a good Sheffield Wednesday team without Martin's creative play? He's our fulcrum and we don't function without him, even when he's not playing well. There's no Plan B because there is no one else in the squad who can play his role. (It's pretty baffling we've not managed to find a back up who shows for the ball and can actually hold it up)

Sure, we beat Bristol City 4-0 playing Bent (a match I was on holiday for) but by all accounts we were terrible and only won due to Ince's quality.

I know most other teams in the league think he's a fat useless lump (despite his consistently good numbers) but the fact there are still Derby fans who think that baffles me and just reminds me of my favourite Derby fan quote, heard whilst queueing to get into Wembley 2014:

"I think they should play Sammon instead of Martin today for his pace".

7 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

The level of knee-jerk on this forum is astounding sometimes. Bent scores a goal (which any semi-tall poacher should be scoring) and suddenly Martin needs to be ousted from the team. Chris Martin has created more chances than any other player in the league this season (whoscored stat) and he's our top scorer. Do you really think Bent would have 4 or 5 chances against a good Sheffield Wednesday team without Martin's creative play? He's our fulcrum and we don't function without him, even when he's not playing well. There's no Plan B because there is no one else in the squad who can play his role. (It's pretty baffling we've not managed to find a back up who shows for the ball and can actually hold it up)

Sure, we beat Bristol City 4-0 playing Bent (a match I was on holiday for) but by all accounts we were terrible and only won due to Ince's quality.

I know most other teams in the league think he's a fat useless lump (despite his consistently good numbers) but the fact there are still Derby fans who think that baffles me and just reminds me of my favourite Derby fan quote, heard whilst queueing to get into Wembley 2014:

Bang on, except you've been lied to about the Bristol City performance. We were very good and Ince and Bent worked brilliantly together. Bent should've got on the score sheet himself, but his movement created the space for Ince to bag a hat trick.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

Bang on, except you've been lied to about the Bristol City performance. We were very good and Ince and Bent worked brilliantly together. Bent should've got on the score sheet himself, but his movement created the space for Ince to bag a hat trick.

Glad you said that. Against Wednesday I realized when we was running at them bent would make a good intelligent run to the sides and take one or two defenders with him. Which in turn created good space for the person with the ball to run into allowing a shot etc.

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

That Bristol City game's the worst 4-0 win I've ever seen. 

The defending for the second goal was an absolute joke. Three players all back off Ince, whose shot is straight at Fielding, who dives out of the way! 

36 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Unfortunately with @Ninos it isn't knee jerk, it only appears that way because he doesn't get much chance to bash Martin.

Granted bent scored on Saturday after a minute but like others have its more about how he fits into out 4-3-3 system. Martin has scored as many goals as we or he would have liked this season but there was that stat the other day that he had created more chances than any other player in the championship this season. When you play the lone striker he has to be involved in the all round play not just goals, which I think we all agree isn't Darren bents game. If we play 1 striker it's Martin over any other striker at the club every day of the week

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Bent didn't have four or five chances and the one he scored had nothing to do with Martin whatsoever. 

If we don't get promoted, in my mind the epitaph for this season is that we had a proven goalscorer and former England international sitting on the bench all season while we regularly failed to score. Massively underused this season, and I hope it doesn't cost us.

You refer to that Bristol City game; Bent was excellent that night and his running gave Ince the space to perform on that occasion. 

Martin is good, but he's not so good that he has to be used all the time, esp when he's not on form.

Finally, just a thought, taking the pee out this comment that he or she had heard at Wembley "I think they should play Sammon instead of Martin today for his pace". As I recall we dominated the game, had countless good positions but failed to score and lost 0-1. So maybe it wasn't as stupid a suggestion as it might have sounded at the time!!

17 minutes ago, rynny said:

How many clean sheets has Bent had? Do you think he uses Daz?

Bent has his sheets professionally cleaned rynny. Daz is working for me, so I assume that it is working for Darren.The new improved Daz is working even better, I am in no arry to change things.

9 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Finally, just a thought, taking the pee out this comment that he or she had heard at Wembley "I think they should play Sammon instead of Martin today for his pace". As I recall we dominated the game, had countless good positions but failed to score and lost 0-1. So maybe it wasn't as stupid a suggestion as it might have sounded at the time!!

I knew someone would say this!

*Ticks box*

Archived