Team Morale

Jon_Grooves

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You can't blame Darren Bent for being disinterested, well, more disillusioned than disinterested. 

He barely gets brought off the bench these days. 

I would definitely say he, among others, will be looking towards the exit already for this coming summer.

It's a big call for Bent. When he came it seemed we'd given him a very long contract for someone his age. Does he decide he'll just sit here and take the money or does he take a big drop in future income by moving somewhere else for one last hurrah on the pitch?

My fear over the summer is we won't be able to shift anyone on who've been brought in on long contracts because all their values have decreased and no one will pay them close to what we're paying them. As a consequence of that, we'll end up selling our decent players. For instance, having seen what's happened this season I wouldn't blame Will if he decides it's time to move on and up without us.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Who knows what he is doing in training though?

Is it a coincidence that he was bench warming for a struggling Brighton team before joining us?

Complete balderdash. He was on loan at Brighton for 5 games before joining us and he started all 5 games:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=28055&season_id=144

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's a big call for Bent. When he came it seemed we'd given him a very long contract for someone his age. Does he decide he'll just sit here and take the money or does he take a big drop in future income by moving somewhere else for one last hurrah on the pitch?

My fear over the summer is we won't be able to shift anyone on who've been brought in on long contracts because all their values have decreased and no one will pay them close to what we're paying them. As a consequence of that, we'll end up selling our decent players. For instance, having seen what's happened this season I wouldn't blame Will if he decides it's time to move on and up without us.

Yeah I reckon we'll see a few surprise exits as there is clearly something rotten with our changing room atmosphere. I don't think Will will be one of them though. If he'd have played all season and was outstanding throughout then yes, I can see him moving on to better things. But as it stands I think he needs that one amazing season with us to continue his growth and really prove he is ready for the step up.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

If I was Will I'd be looking at Dele Alli and be thinking I really need to go take my chance now. I get the feeling he loves playing for Derby and obviously none of us want him to leave. But I would by no means begrudge him moving on now. I always felt this season would be his last with us if we didn't go up but that was before he got injured. The fact he hasn't really played this season may have bought us another season of him. 

Have just seen the two Cardiff goals.

More than the poor defending, what worries me most is the reaction of our players to each goal. I am nearly lost for words but these might do.

If I could lip-read, I think I'd see:

• "not my fault"; or
  • who should have stopped that?"; or
  • "what a shambles we are"; or
  • "do I really have to play with you lot"; or
  • "you shouldn't even be on the bench"; or
  • "this is pathetic"; or
  • "I'm off soon as".

My own words are that they appear:

• disinterested
  • tired
  • fed up
  • bickering
  • no belief
  • not at all surprised

There used to be team spirit. Now it has gone seriously rancid. That's why the Forest win delivered no lasting benefit.

There's probably a multitude of reasons. So it will take some sorting.

No wonder arms around the shoulder from Darren "the club's best motivator" have failed. It's not his fault. Nor ours.

Only a "drop Clause 4 " moment from Uncle Mel can start the process. "New Derby" is what is needed, because the Old Labour Derby Way is full of potholes.

I'd be annoyed if I was Shackell, Burnley do the basics well and are going up.

Shackell in the right team can be a promotion winner, that includes if he stayed at his club.

As a centre half you want to play in a team where the whole team are commited to defending and keeping the ball out.

Our setup isnt not condusive to this. As it stands, fans would rather critise him for not being a good ball playing centre half, rather than play a system with protection, 2 holding midfielders, wingers and 2 upfront etc etc

We are starting to look like last years team where keogh was lambasted for trying to do too much due to a midfield which didnt have an ounce of defensive know-how in its body.

If you want to know what we look like, set up properly (non of this, lets play in their half all the time nonsense) just look back at our run when we won 8 in 10 and got decent 0-0s in the scrappy games at wednesday and blackburn, and kept regular clean sheets at home. During this time keogh and shackell looked like the best partnership in the division. So for gods sakes..... knock this stupid notion that mcClarens derby was the right way to play, and the Clement way - wasnt!

If we play a more balanced system and do the basics well we would be top 4 minmum... as it stands we wont get top 6.

Ultimately we paid over 10 million pounds on two midfielders with no pace who hardly leave the centre circle, yet we seem more often than not to playing them when they do not deserve selection. given the options of Hughes Bryson Hendrick and Thorne they would hardly get a game.

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

But his overall play contributed to our collapse.

I actually would not have signed him in the summer unless we were considering changing the way we played.

I think it is now pretty obvious that not much thought went into our summer signings and the general idea seemed to be, sign any good players that are available.

What are Bent's stats this season? 

Don't ever really remenber influencing a game and making me think he should be starting the following match.

Bristol City

I don't usually jump on the "scapegoat" bandwagon but... Shackell for me is the worst "character" we could have brought in, good defender but a jumped up arrogant t***, and once the rot had set in the type of person you don't want anywhere near a "team" is a bloke like that. 

Sell him and bring in someone who will work for the team, because quite frankly he is no team player.

People say Ince has a bad attitude,, compared to Shackell he's in the bucko mould trust me, shackell is a disgrace and his rant at Wassall after the Rotherham fiasco proves just what he is.. Whoever comes in during the summer needs to get shot of him quick.

Bent for me is just going through the motions, probably knows he's off in the summer and as naturally lost interest, can't blame him for that tbh because he's been given zero chance this season. 

We should be doing all we can to keep Ince, build the team around him because he's a fantastic player, a little stubborn perhaps but a top buy and will get us plenty of goals and assists. 

As for Hughes... keep him out of this environment, let him have the rest of the season off, get him back 100%, no point in bringing him back into a poisonous environment and risking injury again.

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

You can't blame Darren Bent for being disinterested, well, more disillusioned than disinterested. 

He barely gets brought off the bench these days. 

I would definitely say he, among others, will be looking towards the exit already for this coming summer.

Honestly, hes not good enough for PL or top half of Champ anymore, think it may an A-League or MLS style transfer

1 minute ago, CumbrianRam said:

Honestly, hes not good enough for PL or top half of Champ anymore, think it may an A-League or MLS style transfer

Not saying your wrong, but what are you basing this upon? He hasn't hardly had a kick this season and very rarely in a system that suits him.

1 hour ago, DCFCArmy said:

I don't usually jump on the "scapegoat" bandwagon but... Shackell for me is the worst "character" we could have brought in, good defender but a jumped up arrogant t***, and once the rot had set in the type of person you don't want anywhere near a "team" is a bloke like that. 

Sell him and bring in someone who will work for the team, because quite frankly he is no team player.

People say Ince has a bad attitude,, compared to Shackell he's in the bucko mould trust me, shackell is a disgrace and his rant at Wassall after the Rotherham fiasco proves just what he is.. Whoever comes in during the summer needs to get shot of him quick.

Bent for me is just going through the motions, probably knows he's off in the summer and as naturally lost interest, can't blame him for that tbh because he's been given zero chance this season. 

We should be doing all we can to keep Ince, build the team around him because he's a fantastic player, a little stubborn perhaps but a top buy and will get us plenty of goals and assists. 

As for Hughes... keep him out of this environment, let him have the rest of the season off, get him back 100%, no point in bringing him back into a poisonous environment and risking injury again.

Most teams have arrogant players, even at the crap level I played at they were there.  Shackel looks to me like a player that wants to win, his outburst at Rotherham was wrong yet it shows how disappointed he was to throw a 3 goal lead away.

Morale is pretty much rock bottom amongst the majority of players I would think, whatever Wassall might say. Carson gave the impression that the squad are clearly lacking confidence. Perhaps like us their confused by all the goings on this season, & that lack proper direction in playing style & how that suits the players we have.

it may be best in the summer should our season continue to disintegrate over the remaining seven games. To somehow have a complete rethink & rebuild within the whole club. If MM really has the best future interests in Derby County in his heart, then perhaps he should set up an independent committee to examine everything that has gone wrong over the last eighteen months & try to move forward in the best possible way using MM considerable investment wisely. Spending lots of money on new players isn't always the answer sadly., it's a cohesive unit we need for success in the Championship, we've done it before why not again.

After all as fans we surely can't take yet another season like the last two.

Archived