Team Morale

Jon_Grooves

On 4/3/2016 at 12:35, i-Ram said:

I think Mel needs to get back in that changing room and to keep shouting at them until morale improves.

I just wonder whether it was that telling off and the cancellation of the trip (to Dubai?) which started the sulk.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i-ram was being ironic, but it does seem that everything has unravelled since that fateful evening. i wonder if it would have been best if Mel had just driven home that night straight after the game, had a couple of whiskey's realised we got a point from the game at least, and then re-thought it through the following day. 

we may now be first or second with clement still in charge and the players happy having had a trip to Dubai! 

A sliding doors moment! 

On 4/3/2016 at 10:52, G-Ram said:

Cracking last season nearly averaged a goal a game, consistently scored at the highest level in the prem & apparently explosive in training. But still hasnt been given a fair crack at it this season id be absolutely demoralised if i was him. Like i say by this stage in the season id have given up  

Poor Darren...

He's has been given chances, he does nothing in our system. Don't worry about Darren Bent, I'm sure as **** he ain't worried about anyone in the stands at Derby.

I think what annoyed me was that the "feel good" factor was being put out there as a solution in the first place, that a testimonial and a win against Forest would just magically sort things out. Despite Nicholson and others talking about it, nothing has actually been solved since DW was appointed.

The problem was never about miserable morale, although I'm sure it doesn't help. The problems are in coaching, selection and tactical management of the games. In turn, that leads to poor morale. It's dealing with the symptoms, as opposed to the cause of the sickness.

Obviously I'm not watching the training ground, but it would seem DW's coaching isn't up to it. Areas like the defence have gone significantly backwards, but other than Chris Martin (who was underserved by PC's late tactics) nobody has stepped up consistently. Ince, maybe. I don't think we would have conceded the two goals at Cardiff under PC. It might have been a 0-0 draw, of course, but I don't think we'd have conceded either goal.

The selections are rubbish and scatterbrained. That farcical few weeks where Thorne was on again, off again was strange, whilst Christie is probably quite rightly upset about his treatment. Meanwhile, what does Camara have to do to get a game? What does Blackman have to do to not get a spot on the bench?

The management of games themselves... well, Rotherham tells most of the story, but even against QPR whilst 1-0 down we offered next to nothing of value.

I don't blame the fans, it's unbelievably disappointing to see the whole club willingly take expensive backward steps.

Strange that the defence has fallen apart coincident with the appointment of an ex-defender as manager and another ex-defender as his oppo.....

Who has been saying what to them......in particular to Shackell  ??    

My memories of Wass as a defender was of arms outstretched like a seagull until someone 'caught' an arm up at Newcastle? and put his shoulder out.  After that he became a shirt-puller........   

16 hours ago, Kennington Ram said:

Obviously I'm not watching the training ground, but it would seem DW's coaching isn't up to it. Areas like the defence have gone significantly backwards, 

The selections are rubbish and scatterbrained. That farcical few weeks where Thorne was on again, off again was strange, whilst Christie is probably quite rightly upset about his treatment. Meanwhile, what does Camara have to do to get a game?

What does Blackman have to do to not get a spot on the bench?

Point 1 - do you think professional footballers can be coached into bad players? Is Wassall spending time on the training ground teaching them not to defend corners? I can't imagine it's a case of 'right lads when the corner comes in, I want you all to stand still and forget how to attack the ball'

Point 2 - Agree entirely.

Point 3 - Perform in training and make an impression when given their chance I imagine.

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Point 1 - do you think professional footballers can be coached into bad players? Is Wassall spending time on the training ground teaching them not to defend corners? I can't imagine it's a case of 'right lads when the corner comes in, I want you all to stand still and forget how to attack the ball'

Point 2 - Agree entirely.

Point 3 - Perform in training and make an impression when given their chance I imagine.

Kind of, and I'll confess this is probably Football Manager tinged, but surely a big part of coaching in the days leading up to a game is running through your expectations when it comes to how Cardiff will attack their set pieces etc. Choosing what aspects of the game players spend their limited coaching time brushing up on and getting spot on, and making sure that time is well spent.

From what I remeber off the top of my head, under Clement we looked fairly good at defending most teams out of set pieces. 

Equally, Steve Mac was clearly crap at coaching set pieces because we barely scored a single corner!

1 minute ago, Kennington Ram said:

Kind of, and I'll confess this is probably Football Manager tinged, but surely a big part of coaching in the days leading up to a game is running through your expectations when it comes to how Cardiff will attack their set pieces etc. Choosing what aspects of the game players spend their limited coaching time brushing up on and getting spot on, and making sure that time is well spent.

From what I remeber off the top of my head, under Clement we looked fairly good at defending most teams out of set pieces. 

Equally, Steve Mac was clearly crap at coaching set pieces because we barely scored a single corner!

See I struggle to see this sort of thing.

What do you coach when it comes to defending a corner?

Surely it's just man mark or zonal defend, followed by get your head on the ball at all costs?!

I know that all sounds a bit simplistic but that really is the basics of it!

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

See I struggle to see this sort of thing.

What do you coach when it comes to defending a corner?

Surely it's just man mark or zonal defend, followed by get your head on the ball at all costs?!

I know that all sounds a bit simplistic but that really is the basics of it!

Yeah, although I'd hope through coaching you get them to do that to a high standard, week in, week out.

On top of that, my guess is that you'd use the fancy opposition analysis we have to figure out where their dangermen are going, and how your opposition typically go about free kicks/corners, and how best to deal with it.

Archived