Euro 2016 - behind closed doors?

Gaspode

Possibility that Euro 2016 could be played behind closed doors because of the terrorism threat....

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10215393/euro-2016-could-be-played-behind-closed-doors-in-wake-of-terrorism-says-uefa-vice-president

Not sure how to view this - can understand the concerns, but surely taking this route says to the scum that they've won and gives them the publicity they crave.....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Possibility that Euro 2016 could be played behind closed doors because of the terrorism threat....

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10215393/euro-2016-could-be-played-behind-closed-doors-in-wake-of-terrorism-says-uefa-vice-president

Not sure how to view this - can understand the concerns, but surely taking this route says to the scum that they've won and gives them the publicity they crave.....

Won't happen anyway. 

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Won't happen anyway. 

why not - they have been playing behind closed doors at the city ground for ages now.

Seriously - i dont think it will, security has to be massive though, probably on a bigger scale than any tournament ever has been. The checks have to be better than at the iPro, when they check bags they dont even look in them properly.  I think they will have to have scanners everywhere. The cost will be huge but needed.

1 hour ago, Cisse said:

Is the world also ready to close down all the airports and public places ?

Yes. They get closed down when there is a credible imminent threat of an attack or when security has been breached/compromised. This happens the world over. You don't just close them down because they can be a target. That's not how intelligence services operate. 

Regardless what happens with this... the terrorists have won sadly, the tension now is immense, someone on another forum has cancelled his trip to Belgium and someone across the road from my parents cancelled their trip to Paris because of their attacks in November. 

Sadly for the next generation they can expect massive security at sport events and having to be extremely careful when picking an holiday destination, more and more people are cancelling holidays to Turkey this year and a lot are staying here at home. 

Whilst the terrorists are planning their next "big attack" we're making pictures of solidarity, sorry but the terrorists aren't really going to fear that unfortunately. its a sad world we live in and I'm fearful for the kids of tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

I think there's probably about a 5% chance of it happening.

Money talks. Often louder than safety.

I hope it is still on anyway as i've got tickets!

There are about half a dozen stakeholders that can shut down a football match that I know of. The government, security services, police, local authority/council, stadium owners, match day security/stewards...local transport suppliers and stations. The idea that what UEFA says goes is not an accurate portrayal of reality. 

21 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

When they all realise that religion is made up and make believe then the world will be a better place 

there would still be extreme beliefs.

Bin Laden had beef with the west over foreign policy and believed injustice. He used religion to convince people to join him, and the west blamed it to deflect from the foreign policy debate. Without religion he would have still had those extreme beliefs and would probably have found another way to convince people to join him in those beliefs.

On 23/03/2016 at 21:34, DCFCArmy said:

Regardless what happens with this... the terrorists have won sadly, the tension now is immense, someone on another forum has cancelled his trip to Belgium and someone across the road from my parents cancelled their trip to Paris because of their attacks in November. 

Sadly for the next generation they can expect massive security at sport events and having to be extremely careful when picking an holiday destination, more and more people are cancelling holidays to Turkey this year and a lot are staying here at home. 

Whilst the terrorists are planning their next "big attack" we're making pictures of solidarity, sorry but the terrorists aren't really going to fear that unfortunately. its a sad world we live in and I'm fearful for the kids of tomorrow. 

The terrorists haven't won - it just means that some people have chosen to lose.

13 hours ago, davenportram said:

there would still be extreme beliefs.

Bin Laden had beef with the west over foreign policy and believed injustice. He used religion to convince people to join him, and the west blamed it to deflect from the foreign policy debate. Without religion he would have still had those extreme beliefs and would probably have found another way to convince people to join him in those beliefs.

Great post. Saudi Arabia must be one of the most fundamentalist countries (didn't they crucify people recently) but we still sell them tonnes of arms in return for their lovely oil.

The world is pretty fcked and it's pretty much our fault. But hey, our stock market has been pretty good over the last 30 years.

These are the ones I remember. And there has always been memorable players or stories behind these wins..

1988 Netherlands

1992 Denmark

1996 Germany

2000 France

2004 Greece

2008 & 2012 Spain

About 90 % of French doesn't want terrorists to win.. only those open marketplace/screen events are under consideration.

If closed doors would happen you could add 2016 terrorists. I'd prefer Iceland...

Sith Happens
On 25/03/2016 at 08:42, G-Ram said:

When they all realise that religion is made up and make believe then the world will be a better place 

No it wont, the sadistic terrorists, murderers and rapists will just find another cover for carrying out their barbaric activities

Archived