Hughes/ Forsyth Vs current midfield/Olsson

climbon

1 hour ago, jono said:

Can't make my mind up on the Fozzy Olson call .. Good to have competion as far as I am concerned.

Will .. Straight in as soon as fit .. Only Ince ( or a fully fit GT ) has his ability to execute the unexpected. In other words prem quality. 

Interesting comments about Nigel .. Truth is Nigel could spot good footballers and did a sound job for us. Tactically naive and offensively cautious beyond reason certainly. I also know nothing about his man management.  .. But he could reconise a player of skill  and many of his choices have born fruit under other's command.

As well as this, he also knew how he wanted his teams playing and signed players that fitted. Cashing in on the defensively superior Shackell for a ball-playing centre-half in Keogh being an example of this. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, jono said:

Can't make my mind up on the Fozzy Olson call .. Good to have competion as far as I am concerned.

Will .. Straight in as soon as fit .. Only Ince ( or a fully fit GT ) has his ability to execute the unexpected. In other words prem quality. 

Interesting comments about Nigel .. Truth is Nigel could spot good footballers and did a sound job for us. Tactically naive and offensively cautious beyond reason certainly. I also know nothing about his man management.  .. But he could reconise a player of skill  and many of his choices have born fruit under other's command.

Whilst he did sign the majority of the squad, when you sign as many players as he did in his time here, whether on loan or permanently, you are going to have successfully stories and you will also get failures, so whenever people say he was good in the transfer market you will always have people with a list of players that were equally as bad. For every Martin you have a Sammon for every Bryson you have a Lee Johnson for every Barker you have Nick Hunt. He was very miss and hit his transfers. I wonder how many players were signed by the club whilst he was here.

7 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Fozzy over Ollson for me. When foz is bombing down the left soothing always looks likely to happen. Foz is better defensively also. 

Nail, head, they are both decent and Ollson can improve to really challenge. Good competition when both fit. Fozzy fully fit would edge it because he is better defensively currently and even offers an outlet to aim for from goal kicks, when Martin struggling against big lumps.

Archived