Starting to think Wassall is the man for us .

Curtains

@YouRams I don't disagree but don't forget how low on confidence we were at that time, goes a long way towards getting the right result, regardless of ability! If it were purely down to which teams were best on paper we would be top of the league but unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Player for player (on paper) we should be stronger than the team that got us to the PO final under Mac but that was a team full of confidence, that's my point. Kind of why today was hard to watch because despite winning the last two, we still looked incredibly low on confidence (although them scoring early didn't help). I know Wolves are also running low on confidence but they got the important first goal which helped galvanize them, had we scored first it would have been a rout but these things happen in football. I agree I'd prefer someone more experienced than Wassall but Mel seems insistent  that Wassall is here for the season, and unfortunately for those that don't like it, that's the way it'll be it seems

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, loughboroughRAM said:

had we scored first it would have been a rout but these things happen in football.

Hahahahahaha... You must have been watching the wrong team. Every time they came at us we looked very wobbly. They played with the pace we had none of.

31 minutes ago, loughboroughRAM said:

well considering we won twice since PC left having not won this calendar year, regardless of opponents and performances in my eyes its an improvement . . . . the group  of players he inherited were shockingly low on confidence

Agree with you that confidence was low when Wassall took over.

But the question is why. We were top of the league before Christmas so confidence should be high, no? What was the thing that hurt our players' confidence, so much so that our team turned into a relegation-worthy team?

The dip (read "wheel falling off") started around the turn of the year, and IMO, it's not a coincidence.

Knowing Mel, players knew that Mel was going to spend big bucks again during the January transfer window. Why? They could see how he spent money, and how unsatisfied he was when he entered the dressing room and "ranted" (read "bombard everyone including PC"). So players knew that some people were going to lose their places.

No one wants to lose his place, and that's why the whole team became nervous around that time. They were nervous to make mistakes, and prefer doing safe things on the pitch. The result? Self-fulfilling prophecy. Lots of side-way and backward passes each game and MM indeed went out and shopped again for new players.

TL:DR Confidence problem happened because they knew MM was going to buy big again in the January transfer window. And the result is more unrest in the dressing room because people lose their places.

40 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

In years to come Clement will be seen as being worse for us than P0rnstar. Spent a fortune like PJ, made us worse than when he started like PJ, dire football like PJ. Only difference is that PJ didn't completely f*ck up a decent squad that he started with. Then again.....Clement at least didn't indulge in amateur movie making.....as far as we know....:ph34r:

Spot on

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hahahahahaha... You must have been watching the wrong team. Every time they came at us we looked very wobbly. They played with the pace we had none of.

yeah because they scored the first goal...?!? After that yeah they did attack with more pace...because they were confident! Hardly like they were pummelling us for ages before finally scoring

I think we are imbalanced with johnson on the left of the front 3, Russell still wanders abd this still means martin is isolated 

Perhaps a different formation - 4231, 4141, a diamond might bring more out of the players under the new guidance. 

That said i still don't understand why we haven't played blackmsn through the middle in a 442/4411 alongside our just ahead of martin 

Who do you fancy in the playoffs? 

First of all, I don't agree with sacking Clement, and I think I agreed with him on how we need to play.

Going back over old ground on a system which hasn't worked the last 2 years, is not the future for us IMO.

I think Mel is wrong on this.

Having said that, I am behind Wassall now he is in charge, and I dont agree with employing another manager at this stage of the system, who the club might not want to continue with after May. Chelsea put in place interim managers every time they sack someone mid season, and I agree its the right thing to do with Wassall. I also agree with steadying a ship and getting a consistant way of playing whether it is right or wrong. I think under Wassall, we will make the play offs, we just wont challenge the top 3, who can grind out 1-0s and when they dont win, they still get a 0-0, Derby are unable to do this.

They say defenses win championships, just a shame that Mels derby way, involves not defending as a team and leaving the central defenders hoplessely exposed.  

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

derby way, involves not defending as a team and leaving the central defenders hoplessely exposed.  

During the great collapse under schteve, he pushed the full backs up and split the central defenders. There was a chasm and we conceded lots of goals.

PC corrected that. The full backs were less reckless and they all covered for one another as a proper defensive unit.

in the last two games we've been pushing the full backs way up the pitch  at great risk. If we persist with this then we can expect us to concede more goals as a direct consequence.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

During the great collapse under schteve, he pushed the full backs up and split the central defenders. There was a chasm and we conceded lots of goals.

PC corrected that. The full backs were less reckless and they all covered for one another as a proper defensive unit.

in the last two games we've been pushing the full backs way up the pitch  at great risk. If we persist with this then we can expect us to concede more goals as a direct consequence.

think you'll find the full backs pushed up all the way through SM time here. The difference during the collapse was a) no Martin holding it up b) no Thorne in front of the CB's and c) No one capable of finding the Full backs with the occasional long pass to stop the opposition pressing us with a hug line.

13 minutes ago, davenportram said:

think you'll find the full backs pushed up all the way through SM time here. The difference during the collapse was a) no Martin holding it up b) no Thorne in front of the CB's and c) No one capable of finding the Full backs with the occasional long pass to stop the opposition pressing us with a hug line.

Just wish everyone listened to what you just posted end of last season instead of everyone going crazy about Mac not being loyal.... 

Just now, davenportram said:

True. Maybe  it became a bit more extreme in that duff run, but the point is......it can be reckless and likely to back fire.

today the Midfield didn't perform which made it worse. 

37 minutes ago, RamNut said:

This completely ignores that at the time we only had one decent central defender ( Keogh) and we lacked a fit defensive midfield player.

The signing of Shackell and the return to fitness of Thorne corrected this .... so PC's role was ?

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

True. Maybe  it became a bit more extreme in that duff run, but the point is......it can be reckless and likely to back fire.

today the Midfield didn't perform which made it worse. 

personally I felt comfortable that wolves wouldn't really threaten until the first two subs were made. Midfield seemed a pretty even battle until then.

3 minutes ago, davenportram said:

personally I felt comfortable that wolves wouldn't really threaten until the first two subs were made. Midfield seemed a pretty even battle until then.

The first goal was poor from us, and olsson had to track back quickly.

george didn't bother until it was too late.

but yes.....the substitutions seemed to make it even worse. 

Archived