Clement gone.

Rev

3 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

...and thank goodness we can get back to the mediocrity we're used to.

Mediocraty's too good for the likes of us.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its strange PC hasn't even said goodbye, a lot more has gone off than we know about, can't be bothered thinking about it now though, we've sacked him and that's that. can't help think Mel is becoming no better than Fawaz, both blokes mean well but can't run a football club to save their lives, and ours is worse because we have an owner that's a fan, and our fans are.. well.. not the most patient. 

19 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Can we please have the swear filter removed? I don't like to keep repeating myself and am finding it hard to find new words to use when I read all the conspiracy theories or posts from people who obviously know more about what is happening than the club or the people involved.

use a 1 instead of i and @ instead of a. That sorts most stuff.

7 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Just in case I'm being tarred with the patronising brush - Nothing wrong with alternative views at all and opinions based on different interpretation of the facts but I reserve the right to argue when people shout opinions and theories either ignoring the facts or not bothering to check them out.

Anyway, life's too short. As you were......

Didn't mean you Wolfie. Agree with you on most things.

There's a couple of people that can't post without doing the "er, no. What a completely stupid idiotic..." sort of thing that causes arguments straight away. And it's every time not just when emotions are high. 

Just being arses

On 8 February 2016 at 05:13, Zag zig said:

Unless Clement wanted out, I'm really going to hate this decision, so much for giving him chance.

I can't help but wonder if Mel thinks Clement was playing footsies with Ancelotti. Reading between the lines of Mel's statement, he's inferring that Clement was in a hurry to win promotion as a stepping stone for another job.

We know Mel loathes that. He sees as disloyal what is really just a fact of life.

But, if that was the case, surely you let things lie until the end of the season? If we won promotion, deal with it; if not, Clement's immediate prospects of a 'bigger job' would have been damaged anyway; the perfect circumstance to remind him what DC offered.

As it stands, I keep wondering how long until Forest chase Clement? See if Clement becomes Cloughie II...? (Just kidding...that couldn't possibly happen again...could it?)

As it stands, I keep wondering how long until Forest chase Clement? See if Clement becomes Cloughie II...? (Just kidding...that couldn't possibly happen again...could it?),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

anybody watching derby this this season knows that could not possibly while I've got a hole in my arse 

8 minutes ago, archied said:

As it stands, I keep wondering how long until Forest chase Clement? See if Clement becomes Cloughie II...? (Just kidding...that couldn't possibly happen again...could it?),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

anybody watching derby this this season knows that could not possibly while I've got a hole in my arse 

I didn't say it would work. But the manic depressive in me - caused I suspect by us allowing Clough to walk when I was 7ish then watching Forest win Div1 while we visited the bankruptcy courts - and then watching them have our future has scarred me.

I thought the same when they appointed the poison dwarf...even though I knew he was a **** and a very limited manager.

We are all, ultimately, the product of our childhood. It probably partly explains why I generally favour giving managers more time; deep down, I am still that 7yo screaming "don't go, Brian!"

Trust me ram don , your gonna be ok on this one, cough had real presence / personality,, so did the dwarf ( marmite one I know) PC just don't have that spark 

12 minutes ago, archied said:

Trust me ram don , your gonna be ok on this one, cough had real presence / personality,, so did the dwarf ( marmite one I know) PC just don't have that spark 

Trust me...I know.

But I still think PC will prove a pretty good manager in the long run, probably in Europe where his style will be better suited. Because obviously a more defence-oriented style doesn't work in the Championship....Just look at Karanka...ahem!

4 minutes ago, RamDon said:

Trust me...I know.

But I still think PC will prove a pretty good manager in the long run, probably in Europe where his style will be better suited. Because obviously a more defence-oriented style doesn't work in the Championship....Just look at Karanka...ahem!

There's a difference between being defensively secure and having zero attacking threat.

For me one big thing is that there is a very fine line between analysing the opposition to give you an edge and concentrating so much on the opposition that you forget that the number one thing is getting your own team to play at its best, get them full of confidence and belief then you got real chances if you have good players,, first and foremost to be a good manager you have to have the magnetism to inspire and motivate player all this other stuff can make you better and give you an edge if you've got that first vital ingredient ,, I could be wrong but I just don't see that in PC ? Do others see that in him? 

I'll be honest archied, I didn't....and I thought Clement showed a lot of promise TBH.

I saw him more in the teacher mould than the inspirational, rah-rah type. And I used to think his displays of emotion at times looked a little forced. The way we generally came out in second halves made me wonder along those lines too...until you saw his reactions when pressure had been building.

Was that the issue though? I suspect it was more a natural consequence of trying to change game style from helter-skelter attack with little accountability, to a more defensively-minded approach.

That said, the refusal at times to ever attack was counterproductive, downright weird and frustrating...but it seemed to frustrate Clement too. It seemed to me that some players have had difficulty adjusting; perhaps the experience of the last two years has made some players subconsciously afraid of risks? We have been unlucky with injuries too; not only Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Bucko, etc but it's also clear that Martin has lost a yard since his injury last year.

Which raises another question. Both McClaren and Clement have often been (correctly) accused of playing players out of position. Sometimes, however, that has been necessary. Our squad - oddly for its size and cost - still has obvious gaps. I have often said that Clement seemed at times to be caught unawares of upcoming signings. Had I not thought the same of McClaren (even more so actually), I would put it down to my imagination. But I do wonder how much input Clement had in to targets.

But this is a lot of words to essentially make a simple point: when you employ a novice manager - especially when all except Mel think promotion is the pass mark - you must expect mistakes as he learns. To abandon the experiment after only 5 months of active season says either (1) the Board gravely misjudged his ability or character such that him continuing was doing damage to the club, (2) that the Board never truly grasped the risks of their appointment, or (3) unforeseen irreconcilable differences had arisen.

If it's #3, I just hope they're not of the "this is my club and you'll do as you're told" variety. I don't think they are but I am wondering WTF is going on!

3 hours ago, archied said:

For me one big thing is that there is a very fine line between analysing the opposition to give you an edge and concentrating so much on the opposition that you forget that the number one thing is getting your own team to play at its best, get them full of confidence and belief then you got real chances if you have good players,, first and foremost to be a good manager you have to have the magnetism to inspire and motivate player all this other stuff can make you better and give you an edge if you've got that first vital ingredient ,, I could be wrong but I just don't see that in PC ? Do others see that in him? 

Interesting. I remember listening to the away match at MK Dons, when Rammage kept going on about "It's no good trying to base our play on what they're going to do. We need to impose our style of play on them" or words to that effect.

So, no, I didn't see that in him.

On 12/02/2016 at 09:57, Supermac said:

I am definitely not ITK, but I don't buy any of this rubbish about not following a plan or short-termism, it's all a smoke screen for something else. The speed of this dismissal and change in MM's opinion of Paul Clement says to me this decision has nothing to do with football matters at all and is more related to a persons conduct. What I also find strange is that Paul Clement has not put out a statement of any kind since Monday even through the League Managers Association, who generally have something to say when one of their members has been sacked in such circumstances.

This has to be the case.....something happened, who knows what, but it wasnt anything to do with the style of football or the derby way etc. Something came to light and Mel had to act quick.

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Interesting. I remember listening to the away match at MK Dons, when Rammage kept going on about "It's no good trying to base our play on what they're going to do. We need to impose our style of play on them" or words to that effect.

So, no, I didn't see that in him.

Yet another occasion where Craig Ramage - despite his often well-earned reputation for being a bit of a buffoon - can be quite insightful.

I actually quite like him TBH. I generally prefer to listen to Rams Player even when we're live on Bein. Some of the TV commentators can be a tad too dry (and stupid...and biased...and...comatose...and...) at times whereas Ramage is a fan.

But it's not usually his analysis which commends him; sometimes, however, he slips in a response (I have noticed it is almost always when he is seeking to correct a comment by Ed) which makes you pause and realise he's not just there barracking with the same ignorance that I would be.

I remember him making that comment a few times almost as a throwaway. Against Boro though (I think it was...it was certainly being broadcast), he actually started citing passages of play and arguing what we should have been doing. It was an all-too-rare 'Ramage knows his stuff' moment. Another which stuck in my mind was the Boro post-game where Ed and every caller was arguing "buy this, buy that" and he interrupted Ed (pretty sharply actually; you could definitely tell how frustrated he was) and said something like "No. You can't just buy your way out of it sometimes. That's too easy. Sometimes you just have to work better and smarter."

After a slightly smartalec comment about the size of the squad, he finally let it go. But the big fella does show genuine insight sometimes.

2 hours ago, RamDon said:

Yet another occasion where Craig Ramage - despite his often well-earned reputation for being a bit of a buffoon - can be quite insightful.

I actually quite like him TBH. I generally prefer to listen to Rams Player even when we're live on Bein. Some of the TV commentators can be a tad too dry (and stupid...and biased...and...comatose...and...) at times whereas Ramage is a fan.

But it's not usually his analysis which commends him; sometimes, however, he slips in a response (I have noticed it is almost always when he is seeking to correct a comment by Ed) which makes you pause and realise he's not just there barracking with the same ignorance that I would be.

I remember him making that comment a few times almost as a throwaway. Against Boro though (I think it was...it was certainly being broadcast), he actually started citing passages of play and arguing what we should have been doing. It was an all-too-rare 'Ramage knows his stuff' moment. Another which stuck in my mind was the Boro post-game where Ed and every caller was arguing "buy this, buy that" and he interrupted Ed (pretty sharply actually; you could definitely tell how frustrated he was) and said something like "No. You can't just buy your way out of it sometimes. That's too easy. Sometimes you just have to work better and smarter."

After a slightly smartalec comment about the size of the squad, he finally let it go. But the big fella does show genuine insight sometimes.

Agreed; I've noticed Ramage getting better at these insightful moments this season in particular.

Also something I liked during the Preston match- I forget at what point, but Ramage had another moment where in frustration he burst out with a number of tactical errors he kept seeing the players make on the pitch and what they should be doing instead.

There was a long silence and then Ed asked "Craig... have you ever thought about going into management yourself?"  To which he  replied without hesitation "NO!!"

Anyways that made me laugh but he has definitely been getting better in that part of his commentary, it adds something a little different to his notes about "pace and power"

I read that PC was on £40k pw 4 year contract,

so presumably he'll be chasing £7m compo for unfair dismissal.

i should imagine that his lawyer will have instructed him to keep schtum whilst they work on building their case.

Could be an expensive settlement.

Archived