Kilmarnock: Billy Davies targeted to replace Gary Locke

Inglorius

Kilmarnock: Billy Davies targeted to replace Gary Locke
By John Barnes
BBC Scotland

Billy Davies had spells at Preston and Derby after starting his managerial career in Scotland with Motherwell
Kilmarnock will hold talks with Billy Davies in the next 48 hours with a view to making him their new manager.

The Rugby Park side have targeted the former Motherwell, Preston, Derby and Nottingham Forest boss to replace Gary Locke, who resigned after Saturday's home defeat by Hamilton.

Davies has been out of management since being sacked by Forest in March 2014.

The 51-year-old's first game in charge could be the Scottish Cup tie with Rangers at Ibrox on Saturday.

Kilmarnock, who are second bottom of the Scottish Premiership, have put Lee McCulloch in temporary charge.

The former Rangers defender, who joined the Rugby Park club as a player and first-team coach in the summer, will be helped by assistant manager Peter Leven and youth coach Alan Robertson.

Kilmarnock have won only two of their last 13 Premiership matches - losing 5-1 to bottom side Dundee United and 1-0 to Hamilton in consecutive weeks - and have the threat of relegation hanging over them for the third successive season.

They have escaped the previous two years but would face a play-off against the runners-up from the Championship if their situation remains the same.

The Kilmarnock board believe an experienced manager like Davies would enhance their chances of avoiding that possibility.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Great signing for Killie... Forget all the poop that people on here spout on about just because he went to Forest (after we sacked him after he got us up!!) he was a great manager for us and will do a great job for them I am sure. 

He got us up, but he contributed to the worst season in our history. A very poisonous presence.

I actually hope he goes there (I doubt it though) as it'll be interesting to see how he does with no money. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

He got us up, but he contributed to the worst season in our history. A very poisonous presence.

I actually hope he goes there (I doubt it though) as it'll be interesting to see how he does with no money. 

He got us up yep something that no one has done since, including Clough, Steve and PC and other "amazing" managers like Burley couldn't do either.  

Will be interesting to see how the Scottish Harry Redknapp gets on with no money, not that you need a great deal up there.

No club would touch him for almost 2 years says it all really and let's be honest a massive step down from Derby, Forest and even Preston.

Messes this opportunity up with his media paranoia and its career over, time to look for jobs at Tesco 

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Great signing for Killie... Forget all the poop that people on here spout on about just because he went to Forest (after we sacked him after he got us up!!) he was a great manager for us and will do a great job for them I am sure. 

He virtually closed our academy in order to free up funds to sign some of the worst players I've ever seen in a Derby shirt on monster contracts, meaning it took years to shift them on. All while playing some of the most regressive football I've ever seen at Derby. It took a long time to repair the damage that idiot and the idiot after him did.

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Whilst he did get us promoted, can you not see that what he did in order to get us promoted contributed greatly to what followed?

Regardless of some of the bitter comments on here, he clearly has managerial ability.

He got an average Preston to the playoffs, a GOD AWFUL Derby side to the playoffs and promotion, and also an average Forest side to the playoffs twice. Im amazed nobody has come for him before now. 

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

Regardless of some of the bitter comments on here, he clearly has managerial ability.

He got an average Preston to the playoffs, a GOD AWFUL Derby side to the playoffs and promotion, and also an average Forest side to the playoffs twice. Im amazed nobody has come for him before now. 

Maybe you should have him back Dawny? You'd be open to that wouldn't you?

Re getting awful sides to the play offs/promoted, agreed.

Re nobody coming him for him really?! 

A rotten man who always puts himself first. What he did at your place really showed him up for what he is and he is now reaping what he sowed.

He has been living on the 'fat' of his compensation payments for failure. His tactics have always been - get a long term      contract, then not bother and get sacked. He did that at Preston, Derby and certainly at Forest. 4 year contract wasn't it and only months later you sack him.

Nice work if you can get it - payments for failure that is !!

2 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

We were naive enough to call Preston fans bitter once upon a time, but we learnt the truth soon enough. He's had two goes at ******* your lot up. I wonder how many more he'll get before you are able to engage your brain and see a pattern that is by now all too obvious.

25 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

He has been living on the 'fat' of his compensation payments for failure. His tactics have always been - get a long term      contract, then not bother and get sacked. He did that at Preston, Derby and certainly at Forest. 4 year contract wasn't it and only months later you sack him.

Nice work if you can get it - payments for failure that is !!

gumps liked failure that much they begged him back to do it again...

Archived