Thorne goal

Cisse

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

First time a midfielder has got beyond Martin for ages, and it's the bloody defensive mid!

Brilliant goal.

He got beyond bored with watch Johnson stand around looking confused and took matters into his own hands. 

3 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Did Bradley keep missing his turn ?

He just kept drifting out to the left. I know people thought he was rubbish tonight but I  thought he played a bit better defensively and made some really good interceptions at times. His distribution is what's really off at the moment - but then it isn't his strong point even when he's playing at the top of his game.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

He just kept drifting out to the left. I know people thought he was rubbish tonight but I  thought he played a bit better defensively and made some really good interceptions at times. His distribution is what's really off at the moment - but then it isn't his strong point even when he's playing at the top of his game.

Personally I think it's mad to spend what we did on Bradley  without knowing about this. ☺

As good as Georgey Thorne's goal was - and it WAS all class - what I loved most was the leadership and drive he gave the side.

I'd been quietly confident prior to kick off mainly due to two expectations to work in our favour:

1. The standard lackadaisical approach from United in a Cup tie, I'd hoped, would allow us to put them on the defensive from the outset. That hope lasted approximately 30 seconds. They were 'on' right from the start and we were immediately on the defensive, obviously intimidated and running around like headless chooks...if headless chooks endlessly chase tail and second guess themselves; and

2. We have a number of players who, I thought, would be dead keen to not only redeem recent poor form but also to give everything to prove they belong in Premiership company. Thorney was first on my list. And he did clearly demonstrate that IMHO. It's easy to forget the mind games a knee can play for quite some time after it's healed. As someone's already said, Thorney resembled GT v.2014 in that company. I didn't think anyone else really played with any authority. Warnock was good; CC ok for a while but was self-evidently way out of his depth. Who else?

United outclassed us with a gear in hand. That said, there was considerable improvement. As helter skelter as we were in the first 30 minutes, we didn't concede until a clearly off side strike from the Wig. No idea how quite honestly and Keogh allowed Rooney far, far too much latitude. But it WAS off side; if I can call it in real time, it's pretty blatant!

And we didn't collapse after conceding. That's new.

Nor is it an exaggeration to suggest we had them worried for 40 minutes or so albeit they always seemed to have that gear in hand.

We should regain confidence from that 40 minutes or so; it was creditable. We were flowing forward and structured. They knew we could threaten them if they didn't stay switched on.

I'm not sure if we tired but, suddenly, we regressed back into our shells and it did seem to me the momentum change emamated from us. 

And we were immediately back in the first 30 minutes.

Happy? No. Unhappy? Definitely not. A good first step back from us against a class side.

8 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

First time a midfielder has got beyond Martin for ages, and it's the bloody defensive mid!

Brilliant goal.

Exactly!!

That's been the issue for weeks/months. CM needs support from the marauding midfielders when the ball is played directly down the middle of the park and we thencreate things.

Too many times do we look to put the ball wide to wingers and the overlapping full backs and it's all to predictable. 

58 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Exactly!!

That's been the issue for weeks/months. CM needs support from the marauding midfielders when the ball is played directly down the middle of the park and we thencreate things.

Too many times do we look to put the ball wide to wingers and the overlapping full backs and it's all to predictable. 

58 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Exactly!!

So good, I had to quote you twice! (NFI how I managed that but it amused me when I noticed so it stays.)

Why though?

The way Bradley Johnson is playing is one of the things I find hardest to comprehend.

Johnson's attacking style was evident last season. That was why we grabbed him and most thought it was a sensational signing at the time.

When he's been good for us, he's been really, really good. I can't accept that PC really wants us to play so deep and so slowly. He's said it's not what his end game is many times and that we're trying to eradicate the over possession from our game.

I understand that he's still trying to work out who exactly features in his best starting side. I get that he's still experimenting with different formations, etc. I even get that he's largely inherited the core of McLaren's side with a fundamentally different philosophy on the game. And I do see where he is trying to get us.

I do think he'll be shown to be correct in the longer term; that to improve, we have to attack from a secure base so we're not constantly punting on scoring 3 or 4 to win every week...no matter how enthralling we were to watch when we were on song and allowed to dictate play.

Nor do I doubt losing Will Hughes 30 minutes into the season while GT was still coming back robbed us of the best of our midfield creativity; Johnson seemed like the right fit to make the best of that loss with his body strength a huge bonus to us.

Somehow he's become, more often than not, this big guy who sits behind the ball and holds it up?

Could it be as simple as him being (a) self-evidently not the dux of his alma mater and (b) a natural intuitive player who's therefore (c) just getting lost about where he's supposed to fit in the overall game plan? I imagine the regular changes in formation might 'throw' him...in which case, it should be one of the easiest coaching problems to address: where you have a dumb bloke who gets easily burdened with too many detailed instructions, you pare back completely any instructions you're delivering and emphasise the core elements of what he brings the side no matter how much you tweak everything around him...then pat him on the butt cheek and send him out.

So...why does BJ still seem intent on anchoring us so far back past halfway in the season?

great goal from george but will he get a roasting off pc fror being to adventurous what was he doing being so far forward i thought i was dreaming commentator got it spot on with his comments at the  end saying how he was really disappointed in derby play saying they where pedestrian and didnt take many chances and played the game much to deep

I thought we showed them too much respect for the first twenty minutes or so and allowed them to pass with fluency and very little pressing so it was no surprise when Rooney had the time and space to pick his spot. That said, I was really pleased that we didn't capitulate and went on the attack, and what a joy to see Ince, Martin and Thorne linking for that fabulous equaliser. Pretty even for a while with chances at either end, particularly a cross that Ince was only inches away from getting on the end of, but as they tired our defenders struggled to cope with the hugely impressive Martial and their quality told in the end. Despite losing the game I went away happy with the performance and if they play at the same level against Preston on Tuesday we will batter them. Will be my daughter's first home game, so I hope we can get the win.

4 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Exactly!!

Absolutely, would love to see P.C give Hendricks or Bryson the nod to do this Tuesday. Playing and running off C.M, keep saying it on many threads, that's all it needs to make Martin look good and the team to start buzzing. We have pace, ability, skill, just play personnel that can gel together in a manner that suits C.Ms game.

Thorne proved his class and composure, but it needed Martins vision. Take nothing away from Georgie though it would have graced any Prem match :wub:

Archived