Tennis

SaintRam

9 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

His is also a personality that not a lot of people seem to get. Not that he cares at all.

Seems odd. I think he speaks quite well in interviews and on the court he's a very passionate guy, don't know what people are expecting. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opinions about Andy Murray differ, for sure. Some time ago, the regular rod to beat him with was that he was all about himself, and didn't care about anybody else. Strangely enough, since his Davis Cup heroics, those critics have faded from the scene.

Seems odd that Murray gets any support from the rest of the UK now....seeing as he voted to leave the UK.  I'm sure he would  still support a UK or GB team as Scotland still remains part of those...but i don't think he would be too bothered about how English sportspeople do in their various sporting endeavours.   Just a guess.

As for nationality... your parentage and background has a lot to do with it too (which could make Konta Hungarian).  Obviously where you were raised is also very important, it's up to the individual what relative importance they put on those two factors.  I don't understand the importance that is attached to your place of birth.  That's just the first moment of your life....no mother important for your nationality than any other moment. 

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Seems odd that Murray gets any support from the rest of the UK now....seeing as he voted to leave the UK.  I'm sure he would  still support a UK or GB team as Scotland still remains part of those...but i don't think he would be too bothered about how English sportspeople do in their various sporting endeavours.   Just a guess.

As for nationality... your parentage and background has a lot to do with it too (which could make Konta Hungarian).  Obviously where you were raised is also very important, it's up to the individual what relative importance they put on those two factors.  I don't understand the importance that is attached to your place of birth.  That's just the first moment of your life....no mother important for your nationality than any other moment. 

Someone in their chosen field who isn't English is better than anyone who is, so some English people have to snipe. Well done.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Someone in their chosen field who isn't English is better than anyone who is, so some English people have to snipe. Well done.

Not sure if i'm being accused of sniping or not.  Murray is a wonderful player and deserves all his success ..but i can't see him beating Djokovic, he seems unstoppable at the moment.

On 28 Jan 2016 at 11:53, Daveo said:

Nope, I don't think you have to be born in the country but spend the majority of your life in the country you are representing. 

Doesnt make any sense that I could go live in Congo for 9 years and represent them in football.

If my lad turns out to be decent at football I'd sooo want him to choose England over Sweden. 

My mates lad who has gone to Bayern Munich is the same. He prefers England even though he has played International football for Sweden up to u19s

On 28 January 2016 at 09:48, eddie said:

There was someone whittering on about the same subject on Radio Derby an hour ago - for him, you had to be born somewhere to claim allegiance. Was it you?

Just imagine the dilemma his kid is going to face, if they are any good at sport and maybe not quite the best.

Being born in Surrey, Scottish Dad, English Mum, say it's football, could get signed by some upstart provincial English club who further your career. Barely visit Scotland, bought up living down south, with a English plum in your mouth but then a call comes from team Scotland :ph34r:

Rings a bell somehow.

Oh dear, that's really ruined it for me

Good luck from Manchester

Posted at12:09

Manchester United show their tennis allegiances on Twitter...

Manchester United

ManUtd

@Jamie_Murray Good luck in the doubles today at the @AustralianOpen, Jamie!

8:04 a.m. - 30 January 2016

Happens to be losing at the minute

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Oh dear, that's really ruined it for me

Happens to be losing at the minute

As soon as you posted that, they came back and won the second set. Careful... back out of the thread slowly.

14 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Well done Jamie Murray. He really was superb in the final, kept Soares going when he started badly. 

I'm racking my brains to find Grand slam doubles champions who were brothers. Obviously the Bryans, exclusively in doubles - then there is Patrick and John Mcenrow (Patrick won the French in 1989) - but has there ever been an instance where one brother won the singles and the other won the doubles at the same Grand slam event in the same year?

It COULD happen.

A bitt of research reveals the Renshaw brothers, which I should have come up with immediately.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'm racking my brains to find Grand slam doubles champions who were brothers. Obviously the Bryans, exclusively in doubles - then there is Patrick and John Mcenrow (Patrick won the French in 1989) - but has there ever been an instance where one brother won the singles and the other won the doubles at the same Grand slam event in the same year?

It COULD happen.

A bitt of research reveals the Renshaw brothers, which I should have come up with immediately.

I heard before the final that two brothers had never reached the finals of the singles and the doubles at the same grand slam. As you've shown, that was only in the Open era of course. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I heard before the final that two brothers had never reached the finals of the singles and the doubles at the same grand slam. As you've shown, that was only in the Open era of course. 

Yes, I am a mine of useless information from years of quizzing (setting and competing). Names like Nonpariel Jack Dempsey, Spencer Gore and Spiridon Louis keep competing for space in the front of my mind.

5 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Just imagine the dilemma his kid is going to face, if they are any good at sport and maybe not quite the best.

Being born in Surrey, Scottish Dad, English Mum, say it's football, could get signed by some upstart provincial English club who further your career. Barely visit Scotland, bought up living down south, with a English plum in your mouth but then a call comes from team Scotland :ph34r:

Rings a bell somehow.

Bruce Rioch? 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Bruce Rioch? 

One of the strangest representations on the face of it a few years ago was when Scotland played in one of the limited-overs County Championship competitions.

Take a bow, Rahul McDravid.

Known colloquially in cricketing circles as 'The Wall', that year he was 'Hadrian's Wall'.

5 hours ago, eddie said:

As soon as you posted that, they came back and won the second set. Careful... back out of the thread slowly.

Credit where it's due.

Seem to remember an interview with Andy Murray a few years ago, not sure whether it was after his brother won the Mixed doubles, but he mentioned then that people under rated Jamie. The comment was along the lines of he was actually a damn good doubles player.

And yes, think he's more than demonstrated that, also much more personable than Andy, so guess it helps his image and makes it easier for many to will him on.

Archived