Tennis

SaintRam

27 minutes ago, eddie said:

One of the strangest representations on the face of it a few years ago was when Scotland played in one of the limited-overs County Championship competitions.

Take a bow, Rahul McDravid.

Known colloquially in cricketing circles as 'The Wall', that year he was 'Hadrian's Wall'.

Mike Denness and Douglas Jardine were both Scottish I think. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Mike Denness and Douglas Jardine were both Scottish I think. 

Ted Dexter was born in Italy, Colin Cowdrey in India.

2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

The bitterness is pretty astounding. Perhaps it's jealousy. 

Well done Novak Djokovic, this is his season to finally get that French Open and win all four.

Clearly, Andy Murray is by some distance the greatest British tennis player who has ever lived, has won two Grand Slams and puts Great Britain first, as his heroics in the Davis Cup demonstrated. He's just unfortunate to be playing in the same era as Djokovic and Federer.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

Clearly, Andy Murray is by some distance the greatest British tennis player who has ever lived, has won two Grand Slams and puts Great Britain first, as his heroics in the Davis Cup demonstrated. He's just unfortunate to be playing in the same era as Djokovic and Federer.

agreed, murray has done a good job of competing with them, and i reckon hes in for a grand slam this year. Djokovic is amazing though, as is Federer who continues to produce even as he gets older.

On 02/02/2016 at 15:15, Inglorius said:

I like Andy Murray, fits in nicely to the format of the gallant, nearly but not quite British loser stereotype

Really?

Surprised Tim Henman wasn't your favourite.

Had Murray won the Oz open then he'd only be one grand slam title away from a 'perfect' haul - Wimbledon, US Open, Oz Open, Olympic gold and Davis Cup winner. Only the French open to get. As it happens, he still only needs the two titles and he's got a few years left at the top of the game yet.

Definitely a far cry from the ultimate 'nearly' man, Henman....

On the other hand, it's better to have a hill than a mound I suppose. :lol:

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Had Murray won the Oz open then he'd only be one grand slam title away from a 'perfect' haul - Wimbledon, US Open, Oz Open, Olympic gold and Davis Cup winner. Only the French open to get. As it happens, he still only needs the two titles and he's got a few years left at the top of the game yet.

Definitely a far cry from the ultimate 'nearly' man, Henman....

On the other hand, it's better to have a hill than a mound I suppose. :lol:

Change it to 'Murray Mountain' - problem solved. He would win everything.

• 7 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 15:15, Inglorius said:

I like Andy Murray, fits in nicely to the format of the gallant, nearly but not quite British loser stereotype

Post Wimbledon and Rio it may be time to start rethinking that in terms of his driven winning mentality.

Next few days could be interesting.

Good to see other Brits coming through and him acting "big brother" to Edmund and Evans. Let's hope they all have something in the tank for the Argies.

G.B ladies on the up too.

On 02/02/2016 at 15:15, Inglorius said:

3 Grand Slams, a Davis Cup pretty much on his own and 2 Olympic gold medals.

Sometimes, it's better to let people just think that you are an idiot than to actually go ahead and confirm it.

49 minutes ago, eddie said:

Sometimes, it's better to let people just think that you are an idiot than to actually go ahead and confirm it.

Yes, you need to give me some tips on how to do that please, I feel I need some help from the master. Waiting for the next pithy comment in anticipation or shall we just leave it there, probably easier.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 20:30, Zag zig said:

Post Wimbledon and Rio it may be time to start rethinking that in terms of his driven winning mentality.

Next few days could be interesting.

Good to see other Brits coming through and him acting "big brother" to Edmund and Evans. Let's hope they all have something in the tank for the Argies.

G.B ladies on the up too.

Cursed him then :ph34r:

Still good year for him and also to see others improving, G.B tennis in unusually rude health as strong in several areas right now.

Trying not to jinx Jamie Murray either but beating the No1 seeds in the Semi's shows what a good partnership he's formed too with Soares. be some feat to win 2 slams in their first year together!

So Jamie Murray not only becomes the first Brit to win a doubles at the U.S open for 44 years but he's now won two doubles slams in a season. Since when did that ever happen? Really is well out of younger brother's shadow and truly a world class doubles player.

Archived