Tennis

SaintRam

5 minutes ago, Daveo said:

What a loada ****** that is, imagine being a true Trinidadian being kept out the team by him.

Owen Hargreaves playing for England having never even lived here didn't sit right with me either and Chris Martin for Scotland is another joke

Christie for Ireland (grandparent)
Martin for Scotland (parent)

and then of course recently Dawkins for Jamaica (born in Edgware, England) but I don't know what level of ancestry helped him qualify. 

Diego Costa for Spain is another high profile one, although that was citizenship.

I've never really understood the rule or why it was created, I can understand being able to represent a country if you weren't born there but become a citizen of it. I don't understand why your grandparents matter. Parents I can sort of understand, especially if their both from the same place elsewhere. But it just seems to play into the hands of the bigger countries. Wasn't it both Klose and Podolski that are actually Polish but formed a formidable partnership for Germany instead?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Nope, I don't think you have to be born in the country but spend the majority of your life in the country you are representing. 

Doesnt make any sense that I could go live in Congo for 9 years and represent them in football.

Why stop at countries?

I was born in Gillingham - shouldn't I be duty-bound to support them? I bowled for Leicestershire for many years - but the only affiliation I have to the county is that I (only just) live there.

Every qualification that enables you to represent a team, whether by residence, parents, place of birth etc is arbitrary - and your pet hobby-horse on the subject has no better - or worse - credentials than anybody else's. You could argue that Derby County have no right to purchase players from outside the region. I don't see any difference.

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

Why stop at countries?

I was born in Gillingham - shouldn't I be duty-bound to support them? I bowled for Leicestershire for many years - but the only affiliation I have to the county is that I (only just) live there.

Every qualification that enables you to represent a team, whether by residence, parents, place of birth etc is arbitrary - and your pet hobby-horse on the subject has no better - or worse - credentials than anybody else's. You could argue that Derby County have no right to purchase players from outside the region. I don't see any difference.

Glory hunter!

3 hours ago, Daveo said:

Tennis will never be that popular until they make it a more accessible sport to play whoever is number 1. Grassroots football complain at the lack of funds but you can pick up a ball and go play in your garden, in a field, on the street wherever.

In Derby now where can a kid with no money go and play tennis? 

It's ok having fitness clubs with these fancy courts but you only get to those at an older age and too late to turn pro.

Most tennis players are from families with money behind them, my Charlie plays tennis down the Country Club, oh ratherrrrr

Hmm, well sorry Daveo don't know about Derby City but you're talking off the top or your head generalising there a bit.

South Derbyshire, Netherseal tennis club anyone, I repeat anyone no matter wealth etc can go down become a member and use their courts. My kids use it, so do kids from the local council estate, so does Charlie Ferrari whose Dad is a property baron, you get my drift though. Similar in Ashby. So there's two within 5 miles of me.

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

I have a simplistic view on this. If they're good, they're OK. If they're not then they can f**k off back to whichever banana republic they came from. Simples. :)

Goes for Andy Murray too.

1 hour ago, StaffsRam said:

Whether Andy Murray is winning or losing just determines whether he's 'Scottish' or 'British'.... :)

Of course, to Scottish people it's the other way around.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Sorry, I can't warm to this guy. He's got the charisma of a salted slug.

As for his mother....

Winners piss people off, don't they?

Archived