Tennis

SaintRam

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/01/2016 at 09:14, David said:

Tennis will never be that popular until they make it a more accessible sport to play whoever is number 1. Grassroots football complain at the lack of funds but you can pick up a ball and go play in your garden, in a field, on the street wherever.

In Derby now where can a kid with no money go and play tennis? 

It's ok having fitness clubs with these fancy courts but you only get to those at an older age and too late to turn pro.

Most tennis players are from families with money behind them, my Charlie plays tennis down the Country Club, oh ratherrrrr

Markeaton Park, Alvaston Park etc... There's all over the concrete courts and the nets are wonky but I never said it was Centre Court at Wimbledon. You need only grab a couple of rackets and a ball and you turn up and play

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Markeaton Park, Alvaston Park etc... There's all over the concrete courts and the nets are wonky but I never said it was Centre Court at Wimbledon. You need only grab a couple of rackets and a ball and you turn up and play

I'll reply in a years time to this

20 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Have you ever seen Djokovic make sooo many unforced errors against Murray or  anyone of late in a major final?

Murray has truly broken the big 3 stranglehold and he's right up there with them on merit.

He was always going to reach or surpass Federer's level as he got older. Six years between those two!

Crazy how Nadal just seemingly hit a brick wall. He was at a level and age where record grand slams was a realistic target, yet his level just dropped so much and he's only a year older than Djokovic and Murray.

Djokovic is one of the best, but I can't help but think a lot of his recent success has come as a result of next to no competition. It seems like Murray and the occasional wonder performance from Wawrinka has denied him. There is nobody else who is at a world class level.

The tennis era right now is in a pretty bad state after the highs of six, seven or eight years ago in terms of top players.

33 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

He was always going to reach or surpass Federer's level as he got older. Six years between those two!

Crazy how Nadal just seemingly hit a brick wall. He was at a level and age where record grand slams was a realistic target, yet his level just dropped so much and he's only a year older than Djokovic and Murray.

Djokovic is one of the best, but I can't help but think a lot of his recent success has come as a result of next to no competition. It seems like Murray and the occasional wonder performance from Wawrinka has denied him. There is nobody else who is at a world class level.

The tennis era right now is in a pretty bad state after the highs of six, seven or eight years ago in terms of top players.

On the other hand, just possibly Djokovic and Murray are two of the four greatest most complete players who have ever lived.

I'm uncomfortable trying to compare players across eras, because training and equipment have improved so much year-on-year that such comparisons tend to descend into favouritism and clouded judgements. 7 or 8 years ago is was still essentially a 2-player shootout with Federer and Nadal the dominant pair, and Murray and Djokovic only just starting to make an impression.

Where I will agree is there doesn't appear to be a raft of 22-year-old players looking to push Djokovic and Murray. Maybe Raonic has the best chance, but he's 25 and Nishikori is 26. Dominic Thiem and Lucas Pouille might look to threaten, but beyond them there's not a lot. Nick Kyrgios is a huge talent but his own worst enemy, so my tip for the next player to really push the big two is Kyle Edmond (see my above comment about clouded judgement)

1 hour ago, eddie said:

On the other hand, just possibly Djokovic and Murray are two of the four greatest most complete players who have ever lived.

I'm uncomfortable trying to compare players across eras, because training and equipment have improved so much year-on-year that such comparisons tend to descend into favouritism and clouded judgements. 7 or 8 years ago is was still essentially a 2-player shootout with Federer and Nadal the dominant pair, and Murray and Djokovic only just starting to make an impression.

Where I will agree is there doesn't appear to be a raft of 22-year-old players looking to push Djokovic and Murray. Maybe Raonic has the best chance, but he's 25 and Nishikori is 26. Dominic Thiem and Lucas Pouille might look to threaten, but beyond them there's not a lot. Nick Kyrgios is a huge talent but his own worst enemy, so my tip for the next player to really push the big two is Kyle Edmond (see my above comment about clouded judgement)

I just don't see Murray and Djokovic as anywhere near as good, technically, as some of the big names before them. Both are among not only the best athletes in tennis, but in any sport in terms of fitness and duration.

Both are among the best ever in returning, defensive tennis. Better than Federer IMO.

But in terms of ball striking, finesse, technical ability, I just don't think they are in that elite level. If you could mix Fed's ball striking skills, Djokovic's fitness and Murray's returning skills, you'd have the complete player.

Federer IMO is technically the best ever player and by some way in terms of ball-striking, but I think Nadal has had the best all-round game of any player to have played tennis. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Sir Andy Murray..... Cringe, the BBC commentators at Wimbledon will love saying that, even though he doesn't want them to.

Surely knighthoods should be only given after sportsmen have retired rather than whilst they're still playing ? 

Sir Jake Buxton

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Djokovic knocked out of the Australian Open by Dennis Istomin.

Dennis's aunt doesn't like it down under as it's too hot. She is a big hay fever sufferer apparently. :whistle:

Nadal looked very good today.

59 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Dennis's aunt doesn't like it down under as it's too hot. She is a big hay fever sufferer apparently. :whistle:

he is only ranked 103 so thats nothing to sneeze at.

On 19/01/2017 at 12:44, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Very harsh. That joke istomin. Apologise.

23 hours ago, eddie said:

Dan Evans adds the scalp of Tomic to that of Cilic to get through to the last 16 where he will play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

It is good to see we have at least a couple of players with some potential other than Murray, Kyle Edmund is still young, maybe for Dan Evans this is his peak as he is getting on now (in relative terms).

Joahnna Konta has done well at an older age (for tennis players to break through) though. The promise showed by Heather Watson and Laura Robson early on seems to have not delivered.

57 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Johanna Konta has done well at an older age (for tennis players to break through) though. 

At 24 (last year) could argue she was only a couple of years older than some, she's still got a good few years ahead of her at the top. Dispatched Wozniacki pretty clinically today. Love her grit.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe the incredible achievement by Federer has yet to be mentioned. Not only winning a grand slam at 35 but also in his first proper tournament for 6 months and to top it off, finally beating his true rival for the first time in a major final for nearly 10 years!

Archived