What has caused our blip in recent games?

toddy

2 pts from 12, we are in a bad run of results at the moment, what has caused the blip?

Confidence? Well, confidence will be low now, but not 5 games ago,-  going into the Leeds game.

The blip started for me in the Fulham game, we managed to nick that one, but we were not at the races that day.

A lot of players all playing badly at the same time? Possibly, I could agree a couple of players, but most of the first team and all at the same time? No, don't think so.

One of the things I have noticed is we seem lethargic in each of the last 6 games, slow in running, pace is missing, slow in releasing the ball, the midfield is sitting too deep, movement off the ball is also lacking.

Could we be over worked in training? 

Could it be as simply as a change in our diet, have we change our meals times before games?

Yes, the results have been poor but more but more alarmingly our performances have been poor as well.

What do you think has caused our poor performances?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've one theory - Johnson losing form. No wins before he joined then we won 4 of the next 5. He often led the press and got the team playing higher up the pitch. Teammates would see his effort and it'd drive them too. With him off-colour teams are holding the ball better and more comfortable in possession.

Johnson has been poor for months, at least since the Forest game, so he's not the sole reason for the dip.

For me, all of the problems we are seeing now have been there all season - sitting deep, low tempo, starting games slowly, lack of support from midfield, big gaps between areas of the team leaving forwards isolated and so on.  We've 'got away with it' because we were defending well and one of the expensive attackers was popping up with a goal.  But we've started leaking goals now, and we aren't nicking enough goals out of nowhere to cover for our poor play.

20 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Johnson has been poor for months, at least since the Forest game, so he's not the sole reason for the dip.

For me, all of the problems we are seeing now have been there all season - sitting deep, low tempo, starting games slowly, lack of support from midfield, big gaps between areas of the team leaving forwards isolated and so on.  We've 'got away with it' because we were defending well and one of the expensive attackers was popping up with a goal.  But we've started leaking goals now, and we aren't nicking enough goals out of nowhere to cover for our poor play.

I agree with a lot of this. We became very hard to beat rather than a particularly good footballing side and I am still much more worried about our attacking play than the defence. I do think the BIrmingham result was a one off aberration - the Boro loss was away to the best side in the league and we at least picked up a point against Reading - but the problems further up the field aren't.

The Goodyear Blimp is a gas filled balloon airship thing. 

The Goodyear Blip, is  a blip when it was looking like a good year.

Paul Clement's system of safety first football comes unstuck when the forwards stop scoring.

Carson in goal will bring an upturn but if we do not halt it in next four games then it is too late for the automatics.

How many threads do we need on this?

Is it the lack of a huddle?

The coaching staff?

New players coming in?

The fans booing?

The fans leaving early even when we are winning?

Mel?

Players having a nap in the afternoon?

Players not having a nap in the afternoon?

Chris Martin having a massive cock and causing envy in the showers?

In my opinion we have moved away from being a good team with a good team spirit (Birmingham) to being......well to being just like QPR!

I agree we needed a bit more quality but, and again this is only my opinion, I think buying Blackman was a big, big mistake. I have nothing against him but all I see on that pitch now is a load of players all looking out for themselves.

The Blackman signing stinks of desperation and at £3m he would expect to be playing each week so where does that leave Martin/Bent/Wiemann/Russell?? I would imagine it leaves them pi**ed off as they are the ones who have got us in to the top 2 and now one or two of them cant even make the bench.

I shall await my critics.....

If we beat Burnley & go on another run we all be pretty happy & the feel good factor will return. If we don't and we start to sink PC will have his work cut out to stay in a job. The skepticism currently around is due to a fair chunk of fans (based on this forum) who feel things are not quite "right". We are all struggling for the precise reason but ultimately it just doesn't, at the moment, feel right!

48 minutes ago, ossieram said:

How many threads do we need on this?

Is it the lack of a huddle?

The coaching staff?

New players coming in?

The fans booing?

The fans leaving early even when we are winning?

Mel?

Players having a nap in the afternoon?

Players not having a nap in the afternoon?

Chris Martin having a massive cock and causing envy in the showers?

Interested to hear what inside knowledge you have gleaned to propose your final theory...

Just now, TheHomunculusLives said:

Interested to hear what inside knowledge you have gleaned to propose your final theory...

All Derby fans have either sung or heard the song about his massive pecker, but the part about envy is just a stab in the dark if I'm honest. Obviously forest fans would not know this :p 

What's the status with Craig Bryson? I'm dying to see him in the team again. For a lot he's the missing link and energy. Without him Martin looks average a lot of the time. Martin's strengths are not holding up play or winning free kicks (because he doesn't try to win them!) or flick on's or hassling defenders. His strengths are receiving the ball in tight area's, holding for a few seconds and playing those fantastic round the corner passes. And of course his finishing.

But nine out ten times he doesn't have anyone to play those passes to. Frustrating for him. Frustrating for all of us watching.

Not once this season have we looked like turning anyone over (I missed the Bristol City game). We've been in control of most matches at the iPro, but only in terms of possession and although it hasn't been poor to watch, its not been pretty either.

I've never been a fan of Johnson. Over ambitious passes, poor control, one footed (big time). He's not a starter for me, he's the man you bring on to see a game out as he's physical. That's all he brings, physicality.

Russell needs to shoot more too. Why has he stopped shooting? Does all the work, gets to the box and nothing. He's so much better than that.

We need energy. I want Clement to succeed, I really like the man. But how can he not see the lack of energy especially having previously worked with rockets like Bale and Ronaldo.

Archived