What's the answer?

TomBustler1884

12 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I've come to the same conclusion. It must be about numbers. Well, if we are talking about volume anyway. The away corner, on the rare occasions that it's full, always sound louder. Seems like all of them are singing. Presume there are more in the south stand than there are in the corner? When Leeds or Sheffield weds were in the South stand a couple of seasons back, they were great volume, even though on both occasions, their teams were playing rubbish! 

Thing is though, I'm not sure we have enough who want to sing in the other stands, that could move to the South Stand. Even if space was created by moving out the quiet ones :) . 

I like to sing, do every game but I'm one of the few in my block who do.

Thing is, I wouldn't move to the SS because I like the view I have now, halfway between goal and halfway line, one row from the back lower East Stand.

The majority around me sing only when we're winning, not sure what you can do tbh.

Also worth bearing in mind that away fans always sound louder, the same is true for us away from home.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a 2nd singing section being created ? Either in the north stand in the half towards the west stand keeping the family area in the north east corner as it is ! If the 2 singing sections are opposite each other they may bounce of each other too ! Just a thought there will probably be a thousand flaws to my plan so your welcome to pick away ! 

7 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

How about a 2nd singing section being created ? Either in the north stand in the half towards the west stand keeping the family area in the north east corner as it is ! If the 2 singing sections are opposite each other they may bounce of each other too ! Just a thought there will probably be a thousand flaws to my plan so your welcome to pick away ! 

I actually thought that those in the East stand nearest the away fans would have been a bit more vocal like we were before we moved over to the SS.

6 hours ago, benjo said:

I'd like to see us sing more songs that are actually directed at the individual players.  I think going through the entire team starting with the keeper singing a song for each player would hopefully encourage them, show that we believe in them and improve there confidence, especially when we're playing badly.

Or maybe to save putting the fans out we could sign Collymore and Zamora? 

1 minute ago, The 1884 Group said:

Had a good discussion tonight. Will update soon but we hope we can start work on some of this in the very near future.

First step - we've bought a much better drum for Adam, a 22" bass. That should make a difference straight away!

Only if he decides to actually hit it, he must have kept missing when we played Reading, was it because it was too small?

The issue with standing or sitting is that you can or can't move around. So if there were a nucleus of singers others could gravitate to them and those who want to watch quietly can move away from them. As we all have a dedicated seat we have to stay there even if you prefer to stand, as in the South Stand. 

I'm in the East and do clap and sing but beside me are 2 who say nothing all game, in front is a guy who has been watching Derby nearly 50 years, a family with 2 kids and some random non season ticket seats which are sometimes empty. Not much there to get an atmosphere going but the view is great 

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

The issue with standing or sitting is that you can or can't move around. So if there were a nucleus of singers others could gravitate to them and those who want to watch quietly can move away from them. As we all have a dedicated seat we have to stay there even if you prefer to stand, as in the South Stand. 

I'm in the East and do clap and sing but beside me are 2 who say nothing all game, in front is a guy who has been watching Derby nearly 50 years, a family with 2 kids and some random non season ticket seats which are sometimes empty. Not much there to get an atmosphere going but the view is great 

It's definitely tougher with assigned seats especially outside the south stand. We have a few ideas but it won't be a quick fix!

Love the Crystal Palace Ultras. They look like foreign supporters creating a proper organised but organic atmosphere. Lots of flags and banners of different shapes and sizes. Ones with white gothic style words on black backgrounds look great.  And the main hardcore ultras seem to gather in one area wearing black hooded tops. Would love to see something similar at Derby towards the away support to generate an even better atmosphere.  

13 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Had a good discussion tonight. Will update soon but we hope we can start work on some of this in the very near future.

First step - we've bought a much better drum for Adam, a 22" bass. That should make a difference straight away!

Top work again , even with the drum , credit too you !

4 minutes ago, Stowmarket Ram said:

Love the Crystal Palace Ultras. They look like foreign supporters creating a proper organised but organic atmosphere. Lots of flags and banners of different shapes and sizes. Ones with white gothic style words on black backgrounds look great.  And the main hardcore ultras seem to gather in one area wearing black hooded tops. Would love to see something similar at Derby towards the away support to generate an even better atmosphere.  

Yeah there a group called the holmesdale fanatics,  was reading a bit on them the other day they were kind of going through the same thing we are with trying to improve the atmosphere! 

Thank you for trying to do something positive about the vocal atmosphere. You've already done wonders with the visuals but I think that the sound is even more important.

If you meet to create some new songs, put a video of a group of fans singing them on here (and other sites) so the rest of us are familiar with them before we get to the games. When people just post the lyrics and refer to a song I've never heard of I'm no wiser but we can sing anything once it becomes familiar.

And make the songs about the Rams and our players please. I don't want any more songs about them lot down the A52 and a lot of us stop singing when they start up.   

I like the suggestion about having a chant for each player. I bet Butterfield was mightily underwhelmed when he came on at Hartlepool,  immediately changed the game and all he could hear was 'Abdul Camara'. The "Mrs Robinson" song is perfect for him, seen it on twitter but never heard it at a game. 

I also like the idea of a singing group in each stand - we used to have some guys up in NE  corner of North Stand but I haven't heard them for ages. Once they started the rest of us usually joined in. (We aren't called 'sheep' for nothing!)

Lastly the South Stand do need to keep each song going for longer as it takes a while for one to take hold around the ground. Often they abandon them after a round or two just as we've got going! 

(A perspective from North Stand.)

2 hours ago, angieram said:

If you meet to create some new songs, put a video of a group of fans singing them on here (and other sites) so the rest of us are familiar with them before we get to the games. When people just post the lyrics and refer to a song I've never heard of I'm no wiser but we can sing anything once it becomes familiar.

Practical, but this is just asking to get ripped by other fans. 

And tbh, I care too much about what other people think. 

Archived