What do you - the fans - think our strongest team is?

loughboroughRAM

A lot has been said recently about formation and personnel and who should play where etc etc. So I wondered to myself, with a fully fit squad, what does everyone think our strongest team is? Personally I think with that 4-2-3-1 could genuinely work with this lineup:

Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Ince, Butterfield, Russell, Martin.

Bench: Grant, Buxton, Warnock, Bryson, Johnson, Camara, Bent.

I would play Hughes as more of a deep lying playemaker than CDM but tell him not to sit too deep with Butterfield given a license to roam but with his main objective to link up with Martin as much as possible as well as dropping deeper to pick the ball up from Hughes/Thorne. Would also have Ince and Butterfield switch every so often, as well as Ince and Russell swapping periodically just to give the defenders a headache. Feel free to disagree but, with everyone having their own opinion on who should and shouldn't be dropped and what formation best suits us (For the record with current players available I think 4-3-3 is better), I was intrigued to see what people had to say. 

Anyway I'm now off to play Football Manager and conquer the world.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, loughboroughRAM said:

A lot has been said recently about formation and personnel and who should play where etc etc. So I wondered to myself, with a fully fit squad, what does everyone think our strongest team is? Personally I think with that 4-2-3-1 could genuinely work with this lineup:

Carson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Ince, Butterfield, Russell, Martin.

Bench: Grant, Buxton, Warnock, Bryson, Johnson, Camara, Bent.

I would play Hughes as more of a deep lying playemaker than CDM but tell him not to sit too deep with Butterfield given a license to roam but with his main objective to link up with Martin as much as possible as well as dropping deeper to pick the ball up from Hughes/Thorne. Would also have Ince and Butterfield switch every so often, as well as Ince and Russell swapping periodically just to give the defenders a headache. Feel free to disagree but, with everyone having their own opinion on who should and shouldn't be dropped and what formation best suits us (For the record with current players available I think 4-3-3 is better), I was intrigued to see what people had to say. 

Anyway I'm now off to play Football Manager and conquer the world.

Wouldn't you be better asking Carlo for advice, Paul?:ph34r:

433:

Christie - Keogh - Shackell - Forsyth

Butterfield - Thorne - Hughes

Ince - Martin - Camara

442:

Christie - Keogh - Shackell - Forsyth

Ince - Thorne - Hughes/Butterfield - Camara

Martin - Blackman

Always Carson in goal.

Doesn't matter who plays for me. They're all decent players.

But they aren't working for each other. And until they do it doesn't matter whether it's Ince in, Hendrick out, Keogh shake it all about. Won't be succesful against any decent team who comes with confidence. 

I thought the understanding and football would get better through the season. It hasn't. 

Never see so many blokes head off in random directions when we have possession. 

They look clueless no matter who they are.

From what we've seen of Camara in the last week, he looks a likely starter.

As far as the other 10 are concerned, until Hughes is fit, haven't a clue. Bryson's absence has improved his claim for a place.

I don't think Bradley Johnson suits a 4-3-3, so I think he should be a bench player unless we suddenly revert to a 4-4-2. I love the 4-3-3 though, just don't think Clement has got it quite right yet.

Christie-Keogh-Shackell-Warnock

----------------Thorne

Butterfield-------------Hendrick

Ince-----------------------Russell

--------------Martin

Anybody else has got to fight their way into the team to replace them. I don't think Johnson is better than Hendrick in this system, he just doesn't have the skill to bomb forward and link up with the intricate passes that this team benefits from. Quick attacking football, **** the patient game. New signings this Jan, be better than Ince, Russell or Martin in this system. The transfer policy/team or whoever okays all this needs to take a good look at themselves. Get players to fit the system, not just a bunch of quality players that fit other systems.

4-4-2 might work well for some, but we still lack a quality right winger. Bradley Johnson would fit this system as a left winger. Thorne and Butterfield in the middle. Martin and Blackman up front. Or Weimann and Bent.

If they're planning to play 4-4-2, play it.

Without injuries,

Carson

christie Keogh shackle Forsyth .   

Thorne

hendrick Hughes Bryson 

Ince Martin 

subs bent Russell camara Johnson butterfield grant shotton

i want to be entertained and maybe successful but sadly we have injures and can't put that side out (ince is the one who may be more rotated if not performing in the correct way) 

Right now....

Carson

christie.   Keogh.   Shackell.     Warnock

.                                 Thorne

.                      Hendrick.   Butterfield

russell / weimann.      Martin.            Camara

we are overloaded in some positions and desperately short in others.

Now

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Warnock

Thorne

Butterfield    Hendrick

Ince    Martin    Camara

Everyone fit

Carson

Christie    Keogh    Shackell    Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson    Hughes

Ince    Martin    Camara

My starting XI based on who is fit now would be 

Carson,

Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Warnock

Thorne

Hendrick, Butterfield

Russell, Martin, Camara

Subs:  Grant, Baird, Hanson, Bryson, Blackman, Johnson, Ince

no place for Bent/Weimann/Shotton/Pearce shows how ridiculously large our squad has got

Ince not in starting line up as he is the "me" in team - only interested in creating chances for himself, and the reason I feel that Martin has become more & more frustrated/frustrating.  Russell used to combine well with Martin when played on the right and Camara has shown he can get to the bye-line and get a cross in..

ATM I would go with:                    

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock

Thorne

Hendrick Butterfield

Ince         Martin         Weimann

Subs: Grant, Shotton,Johnson, Camara, Russell, Blackman, Bent.

I would replace Hendrick with Hughes when he gets back and based on current form leave Johnson out of the 18 he's been **** for the last 6 or 7 games.

All fit                  Carson

Christie       Keogh   Buxton     Fozzy

Thorne

Butterfield      Hughes

Ince                                                 Johnson

Martin

Archived