Mighty Mel and Lionheart Lionel

LesterRam

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

No, exactly. And it's interesting that there's nobody coming forward and admitting they were wrong about "The Yanks". They had plenty of doubters, where are they all? The humble pie's getting cold here...

I'll admit it, I was wrong about them. I couldn't see what they were doing and misjudged them.

Yep, totally true, so many people on here were ready to dismiss them totally, mainly due to them being from another country.... B4 has a "Yank" reference in his avatar thing too, even after I told him a number of times it can be quite an offensive term...but he was convinced that they were going to take down the club and he was the one to stop them just like he did single handedly with the three amigos.... thank goodness for the ignore feature on here.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

I always got the impression owning Derby crippled Lionel financially. I may be wrong but to have to sell the club to the people he did it things must have been in a bad way. I do think Mels wealth is vastly different even taking inflation into account, im pretty sure he will not leave us in the position we were in under the 3 amigos.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Paul Clement is doing alright too?

not bad i guess....could be better, i mean comeon only 2nd in the league, not walking it, no wins in 2016...

of course im not being serious though....hes the bees i reckon.

The Florida state lottery rolled over again last night, I have my tickets for Saturdays draw with an estimated jackpot of 700 million.... when I win it prepare to start calling me Magic Muespach as I plunder the lot of it into the Super Rams... If Mrs M is reading this, don't worry, I will save us enough to make sure you only have to work 5 days a week.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Mel is worth about £800m now isn't he? Didn't he still have 12% shares of the Candy Crush company that was sold for Billions?

wow im worth exactly the same as mel is :)....oh just realised i got my decimal point in the wrong place..stlll £8.00 will buy me about a pint and a half of peroni.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I always got the impression owning Derby crippled Lionel financially. I may be wrong but to have to sell the club to the people he did it things must have been in a bad way. I do think Mels wealth is vastly different even taking inflation into account, im pretty sure he will not leave us in the position we were in under the 3 amigos.

He did lose a hell of a lot of money by pumping it into Derby, but the loss of his wife hit him very hard and it did have an effect on his decision making and the way he lived his life. Also having a family member constantly trying to screw him over as well as physically attacking him didn't help. Certain sections of the clubs support also turned against him and are as much to blame for us having to put up with the 3 amigos as anybody else.

14 minutes ago, ossieram said:

He did lose a hell of a lot of money by pumping it into Derby, but the loss of his wife hit him very hard and it did have an effect on his decision making and the way he lived his life. Also having a family member constantly trying to screw him over as well as physically attacking him didn't help. Certain sections of the clubs support also turned against him and are as much to blame for us having to put up with the 3 amigos as anybody else.

Co-op bank didn't cover themselves in glory either.

I think the only owner comparable with Mel is Steve Gibson from Middlesbrough. 

I think Fawaz could be in the same bracket - he's ambitious and generous, but his ego stops him from getting proper professionals in to run the club. Mel has been undeniably brilliant, but I can't help but think that the framework put in place by Sam Rush has allowed Mel to use his money and expertise to the greatest effect.

Just now, ossieram said:

Read my post above and you will see there were reasons for why things panned out as they did.

Sorry, posted without reading the rest of the thread!

Wasn't aware of this but his decision making turned bad when he started handing out Ravanelli type contracts.

Sith Happens
13 hours ago, ossieram said:

Very sad, i remember his wife dying now you mention it. And your right, as is evident from some comments you see on here people turn against people very quickly, the abuse keogh and his wife got last season was unforgivable, people saying PC wasnt upto it after 3 or 4 games.The problem is the minority can have a very loud voice (away fans being the prime example).

It annoys me when i see people write on here or go on the talk in on RD and say 'Mel needs to get his cheque book out again', no he doesnt if he doesnt feel he needs to, he needs to run the club in a sensible way and if that means not getting promoted then so be it, this club will be in the PL at some point soon, if it takes two more years then thats fine. Im enjoying the ride.

18 hours ago, ossieram said:

I've said it a few times before but the only real mistake Lionel made was keeping Jim Smith on a season too long.  I think he became too close to Jim and couldn't see that his time had passed.  Other than that he was a great custodian of the club, he can't be blamed for not seeing that the 3 Amigos were a bunch of charlatans, it took us all a long time to realise that...

Me & my mates used to drink at the Yew Tree pub outside Brailsford, which he owned.  He was always in there and was always friendly.  I actually felt sorry for him the time we lost to Leicester 4-0, my mate stepped into the toilets and whacked him flush on the nose with the door...

18 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The Florida state lottery rolled over again last night, I have my tickets for Saturdays draw with an estimated jackpot of 700 million.... when I win it prepare to start calling me Magic Muespach as I plunder the lot of it into the Super Rams... If Mrs M is reading this, don't worry, I will save us enough to make sure you only have to work 5 days a week.

Have you seen the clip of a Fox News reporter asking a guy what he'd do if he won it and he replies "Loads of hookers and cocaine".  :lol:  At least he's honest...

13 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I've said it a few times before but the only real mistake Lionel made was keeping Jim Smith on a season too long.  I think he became too close to Jim and couldn't see that his time had passed.  Other than that he was a great custodian of the club, he can't be blamed for not seeing that the 3 Amigos were a bunch of charlatans, it took us all a long time to realise that...

Me & my mates used to drink at the Yew Tree pub outside Brailsford, which he owned.  He was always in there and was always friendly.  I actually felt sorry for him the time we lost to Leicester 4-0, my mate stepped into the toilets and whacked him flush on the nose with the door...

Lionel contracted the company I worked for to 'look into' the circumstances regarding the takeover. This was before there were even murmurs of discontent amongst fans.

It was obvious from the start that there was one person responsible for the situation that Derby found themselves in, who had been brought to the club in very extreme circumstances to start with, he saw a cash-cow opportunity and utilised an existing club official and a bank (making them at best incompetent and at worst complicit).

The amount of people I spoke to in both the footballing world and the financial world about him did not have a good word to say about him, Players, Players Fathers, Bloodied England Captains, Assistant Managers, Chip Shop Owners in Wolverhampton, Fund Managers, Club Secretary's all said that he operated outside of both legal and moral guidelines.

This man was a huge advocate of 3rd party ownership of players and was creating consortiums to buy African and Scandinavian players to profit from transfers.

So we asked, what were Lionels custodians doing at the time that the club was sold? Basically certain people saw a chance to line their own pockets at the only expense of doing Lionel, and by extension, the club and fans of DCFC over.

The club had dedicated staff there but like with most totalitarian regimes, dissenting voices were got rid of, but there were enough people at the club under the 3 Amigos who fed excellent and usable intelligence.

People at a bank lost their jobs, some people went to prison as they should have. In my opinion none of this was Lionels 'fault' he was badly betrayed by a person within the club, a bank, and the mysterious individual I have named.

The thing that scares me, is that there is no actual oversight of football clubs still. We may have survived that scare, but there is no framework in place to stop it happening again and that is horrible for the sport I love.

I look at Bolton now and wonder if their Chairman had been more suspicious, as Lionel was, that they wouldn't be in so much trouble.

In fact, I believe (not 100% sure) that Mel was fully appraised and aware of what had happened to Lionel and was one of the people that helped us out of the mess in the end.

59 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Lionel contracted the company I worked for to 'look into' the circumstances regarding the takeover. This was before there were even murmurs of discontent amongst fans.

It was obvious from the start that there was one person responsible for the situation that Derby found themselves in, who had been brought to the club in very extreme circumstances to start with, he saw a cash-cow opportunity and utilised an existing club official and a bank (making them at best incompetent and at worst complicit).

The amount of people I spoke to in both the footballing world and the financial world about him did not have a good word to say about him, Players, Players Fathers, Bloodied England Captains, Assistant Managers, Chip Shop Owners in Wolverhampton, Fund Managers, Club Secretary's all said that he operated outside of both legal and moral guidelines.

This man was a huge advocate of 3rd party ownership of players and was creating consortiums to buy African and Scandinavian players to profit from transfers.

So we asked, what were Lionels custodians doing at the time that the club was sold? Basically certain people saw a chance to line their own pockets at the only expense of doing Lionel, and by extension, the club and fans of DCFC over.

The club had dedicated staff there but like with most totalitarian regimes, dissenting voices were got rid of, but there were enough people at the club under the 3 Amigos who fed excellent and usable intelligence.

People at a bank lost their jobs, some people went to prison as they should have. In my opinion none of this was Lionels 'fault' he was badly betrayed by a person within the club, a bank, and the mysterious individual I have named.

The thing that scares me, is that there is no actual oversight of football clubs still. We may have survived that scare, but there is no framework in place to stop it happening again and that is horrible for the sport I love.

I look at Bolton now and wonder if their Chairman had been more suspicious, as Lionel was, that they wouldn't be in so much trouble.

In fact, I believe (not 100% sure) that Mel was fully appraised and aware of what had happened to Lionel and was one of the people that helped us out of the mess in the end.

Sounds like Uncle Fawaz :lol:

Archived