Alan Nixon January Transfer Bingo

North_Stand_Ram

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

The main strikers we've been linked with in recent times:

Charlie Austin - according to Bris it ain't him, so he's in bold for nope.

Dwight Gayle - Could well be him but would he be a promotion guarantee? Not too sure

Lewis Grabban - Also as Cam says not a guarantee

Victor Anichebe - Just going to bold him out now. No chance a promotion guarantee

Atdhe Nuhiu - Read previous player.

Jordan Rhodes - Highly possible

Rudy Gestede - Possible again. Wouldn't say it'd guarantee promotion. May want to jump ship from Villa to give a better chance of PL football next season. They're down.

David Mcgoldrick - Injured too much to be considered a 'promotion-guarantee'

Ross McCormack - definitely someone you'd consider a 'promotion-guarantee'

Luc Castaignos - Unless Bris has a mate who supports Inter, Feyenoord or Twente and has a good level of knowledge about what it would take to get out of this league, then I doubt it would be him

Ok so Bris says it's one from Sir Cam's list. Let's have a little game of guess the striker based on the information we've been provided.

So the ones not in bold are the possibilities based on Bris' info. Would have ruled them out but that option seems to have gone.

Gayle, Grabban, Rhodes, Gestede or McCormack.

Not a lot of "links" to Gayle before. Only HITC has recommended him, not said we are interested.

Again hardly much previous links to Grabban. Others have mentioned a possible bust up with BJ which saw him leave Norwich.

We've been linked to Rhodes before, mainly on loan around March time.

Not many links to Gestede again.

McCormack - linked to before. Would be able to play in our system with Martin still on the pitch. I don't think Rhodes would be able to. He would be my guess.

I have way too much time on my hands

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCormack has been the best all-round forward player in this division for the last few seasons.  Fulham might need money to wheel and deal given their embargo/new manager.  Mel has some money under his mattress. Am I warm?

@Bris Vegas @SuperDerbySuperRams I know you don't wish to give the name, but do either of you know how likely it is to happen? Have we just enquired/shown an interest so far? Or is it a bit further than that and we've been given an indication of what fee it would take to get him?

ps. I bloody love transfer season. Gets me all giddy thinking of people like McCormack in a Derby shirt. :lol:

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

McCormack has been the best all-round forward player in this division for the last few seasons.  Fulham might need money to wheel and deal given their embargo/new manager.  Mel has some money under his mattress. Am I warm?

The only stumbling block to this for me would be his contract. Fulham are dire. On paper they aren't bad, but on the pitch it's only McCormack and Dembele preventing them from dropping to the third division. Would they rather hold on to McCormack until his contract runs out in 2018, or would they cash in on him, get out of their embargo and possibly accept a relegation to build again.

I'm sure McCormack is chomping at the bit to play for a leading side in this division. His ambition surely has to be the PL and at 29, although currently in his 'prime', he won't be for much longer. If I were him I'd be trying to engineer a move to Boro, Derby, Hull, whoever. When his contract is up he'll be about a month off 32 so his chance of top flight football may then be gone.

If he wants out, he'll go to any of the top 3 IMO. A club that needs money + a player who wants out + a team with money willing to pay it would surely equal the transfer. A front three of McCormack Martin Ince would be ridiculously good for this level.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The only stumbling block to this for me would be his contract. Fulham are dire. On paper they aren't bad, but on the pitch it's only McCormack and Dembele preventing them from dropping to the third division. Would they rather hold on to McCormack until his contract runs out in 2018, or would they cash in on him, get out of their embargo and possibly accept a relegation to build again.

I'm sure McCormack is chomping at the bit to play for a leading side in this division. His ambition surely has to be the PL and at 29, although currently in his 'prime', he won't be for much longer. If I were him I'd be trying to engineer a move to Boro, Derby, Hull, whoever. When his contract is up he'll be about a month off 32 so his chance of top flight football may then be gone.

If he wants out, he'll go to any of the top 3 IMO. A club that needs money + a player who wants out + a team with money willing to pay it would surely equal the transfer. A front three of McCormack Martin Ince would be ridiculously good for this level.

Fulham are not dire, and will not go down this season with McCormack or not.  There are many worse teams than them. They still have a few players on silly money - particularly Parker - but have some very good promising young players.  I think Jovanavic will want to bring in 4-5players to freshen up the squad/make his own impression.  They need to generate cash in the short term.  I can see why we would want to buy him, and why Fulham (reluctantly) might sell. I have no idea how much Mel values a 29 year old. If he, and a few others, at the club think he is the piece they need to get us up this year, I don't think money will be a problem.  

The idea of bringing in a new striker won't be just to get us up, but to also play a part in us consolidating us in the Premier League next season.

I'm not really sure how the deal is going in all honesty. I'll try and find out more, but as of yet - and this is across the board - there hasn't been much in terms of transfer activity.

The two guys who have all the information haven't been on to post much. In the summer they were getting through 20-30 stories at least per day, at the moment it's just one or two.

I was told Sheff Wed have the biggest budget by the way. Make of that what you will... *coughRhodescough*

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Has marched on together in the past the player I'm referring too and pretty sure what @Bris Vegas is too... #itk

Pretty sure he played upfront in that season where he scored 30+ goals, but would he be brought in as an out and out striker?

For someone to be described as a ''promotion guarantee'' doesn't that imply they would have to have been promoted before or maybe i'm reading too much into that?

Leaning towards McCormack or Rhodes personally, rather have Bamford on loan though...

15 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Anyone able to take a reasonable stab at guessing where we stand with FFP at the moment? (Im aware nobody will know for certain, just curious as to whether we have any decent accountants/mathematicians amongst us who might venture an opinion!)

I'm assuming this striker won't come cheap...

It's all about contract lengths as far as I'm aware. So Johnson cost £6 million and signed on a 4 year deal, that's £1.5 million per year on FFP. I think the limit is £39 million allowed loss over a 3 year period, so even if we are struggling with FFP, we have a couple of years to sort that before we face punishment. Then another interesting point, at a recent Q&A, the accountant present said we were able to purchase both Johnson and Butterfield due to the injury insurance taken out on Hughes and Bryson. So I don't have a clue what affect that has on FFP, how much did the insurance cover etc.

Basically, the way I've interpreted it, we've still got a lot of room to maneuver if Mel wishes to splash the cash. But if you want a definite answer on where we stand with FFP, keep an eye out for Ramblur (I think that's his forum name) posting about it in the coming months. He's an incredibly intelligent bloke and he seems to know most details about Derby County accounts and FFP (he even received praise from Mel Morris). He usually posts when accounts are released and keeps us up to date with how the club's finances are going.

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've been told some pretty interesting news about a striker, though it's still in the development stage.

We've been linked with him before, and he has been described as a 'promotion-guarantee' by a fan of his former club if we manage to get him. 

All in good time folks...

Where do I click?

;)

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've been told some pretty interesting news about a striker, though it's still in the development stage.

We've been linked with him before, and he has been described as a 'promotion-guarantee' by a fan of his former club if we manage to get him. 

What bigger assurance could you want than the gushing praise of a fan from his former club. Yes, one fan, and no, not even his current club.

I'm McLovin it!

McCormack is the obvious one.  Been in for him several times before. Fulham are embargoed and need to sell to get rid of it. Top quality striker. A better all-rounder IMO than Austin or Rhodes. I really rate him... but he'll be 30 when next season starts. For that reason alone, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere.

27 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

McCormack is the obvious one.  Been in for him several times before. Fulham are embargoed and need to sell to get rid of it. Top quality striker. A better all-rounder IMO than Austin or Rhodes. I really rate him... but he'll be 30 when next season starts. For that reason alone, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere.

Would be the difference in getting promoted... He has the best technique in the whole division! 

Archived