Even champions lose... Prepare for defeat.

Mostyn6

Just a quick one ahead of a potential defeat later today. Expect a defeat and treat a victory as a welcome surprise and not an entitlement. 

At the start of the season, most Derby fans would have thought "we will lose a handful this season even if it's a successful season, so if I'm picking games we get 0points in, Middlesbrough is one "! That's not to suggest we cannot and will not win, just that people should accept defeat like a realist and loyal supporter, not like a petulant expectant cry baby.  

Even Champions lose. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boro have shown that they are the most consistent team in the division, defensively sound with enough quality to get the goals needed.

Having said that, we haven't lost away from home in the league yet, having gone to some difficult teams. I will take a draw, that's my expectation. If we lose, fine, but I'll only accept it if Boro outplay us. I will find it hard to if they win by a small margin but we more than match them. 

31 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Boro have shown that they are the most consistent team in the division, defensively sound with enough quality to get the goals needed.

Having said that, we haven't lost away from home in the league yet, having gone to some difficult teams. I will take a draw, that's my expectation. If we lose, fine, but I'll only accept it if Boro outplay us. I will find it hard to if they win by a small margin but we more than match them. 

Like a lot us Rams fans, you've put the away defeat to that lot down the 52 into the deep and distant past ?

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Like a lot us Rams fans, you've put the away defeat to that lot down the 52 into the deep and distant past ?

It sucked, really hard living in Nottm after that. But that game was one for the 'we didn't deserve to win' category. We didn't look I like scoring if we'd played for another 90. They had some pretty decent chances too, Carson/Warnock stopped it being a heavier defeat. If Boro copy that, beat us by a goal but stop us playing and have several chances themselves, then they deserve to win. I'm more interested in how we play, and how much we assert ourselves into them and affect their game

Thing is, you have to set points targets. It doesn't matter where the points come from. 

Beating Boro 5-0 away won't prove we're the best team in the Champ. Beating all the top 6 won't. So when you get comments like "this game proves..." I never really agree. 

Our target needs to be 90pts. To do that we can take a few more defeats and draws. Doesn't matter where they come. 

Just get points wherever you can. It's 3pts for beating Boro but then losing to Reading. 

Bristol City won at the Riverside. Proved nothing. We lost a big game to Forest. Some Rams fans called us bottlers. Then we beat Hull away when they were flying. 

Was it Hull or Palace that got promoted and never beat any top 6 rival? Then stayed up in the PL

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Thing is, you have to set points targets. It doesn't matter where the points come from. 

Beating Boro 5-0 away won't prove we're the best team in the Champ. Beating all the top 6 won't. So when you get comments like "this game proves..." I never really agree. 

Our target needs to be 90pts. To do that we can take a few more defeats and draws. Doesn't matter where they come. 

Just get points wherever you can. It's 3pts for beating Boro but then losing to Reading. 

Bristol City won at the Riverside. Proved nothing. We lost a big game to Forest. Some Rams fans called us bottlers. Then we beat Hull away when they were flying. 

Was it Hull or Palace that got promoted and never beat any top 6 rival? Then stayed up in the PL

I agree... don't get the frenzy about having to beat this team or that.

Would happily lose every game to Boro and Hull if we won every other one. It really doesn't matter. The only way it would matter is if Boro got the exact same results as us against every other team, which is never going to happen.

49 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

There is no shame in losing. Go out there and give it all we've got and that's enough for me.  

Same with me Chris, make them earn a win, if we don't  put the effort in today I'll have the right hump, do our best and I'll have no complaints. I think we're definitely capable of coming away undefeated, if we win I'll be cockaflippinhoop.

We should be beating everyone in this league easily. If we are serious about promotion, then any dropped points justify lots of moaning and crying on here.

Win today = champions guaranteed.

Don't win = think about getting rid of PC and start spending big on better players.

Clement does not like losing games. He knows that this result will increase or decrease belief in our squad. Clement is desperate not to lose this game, in my opinion. I think that we have a 25% chance of winning it. If we score first we have a chance. If they score first, we have a 90% chance of losing it. It will take a major downturn in form by Boro not to win the league if they win the game today and then their game in hand. They would be the equivalent of seven points ahead of us, eight clear of Hull and eleven clear of Brighton. They will then go out and splash the cash on a couple of big players and coast to the finish line.Then it is a dog eat dog fight between us and Hull, who also have money to spend. We have them at home in an equivalent scenario to today when we play them at home.I hope that the game is not decided by a disputed decision unless it is in our favour. A penalty or sending off must be likely today.

22 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We should be beating everyone in this league easily. If we are serious about promotion, then any dropped points justify lots of moaning and crying on here.

Win today = champions guaranteed.

Don't win = think about getting rid of PC and start spending big on better players.

We will need better players, either this season or next. When would you sign them?

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We will need better players, either this season or next. When would you sign them?

Everyone always needs better players, it's naïve to think otherwise. Just need to make sure they're the right fit.

Just now, Srg said:

Everyone always needs better players, it's naïve to think otherwise. Just need to make sure they're the right fit.

I am sure that we have identified those players already, Srg. Sitting on top of the table having just beaten Boro away is a powerful message to those players if we go for them.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Indeed - lots of people don't understand this. It doesn't mean that we should be constantly looking to replace players, but if someone comes available that is better than Martin, Thorne, Shackell, Keogh, Hughes, whoever then we should be poking our nose around. 

Archived