Callum O'Dowda - Confirmed to Bristol City

Srg

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we sign O'Dowda it indicates a lack of involvement of Pearson in transfer dealings. 

If the rumours are correct that he wanted a lot more money than we were prepared to pay in January, I will be appalled if the mighty Derby County caves in. It should be an honour to play for us. If he doesn't want to, let him rot in Oxford or Bristol, teams that will never amount to anything. The good thing about Clough's recruitment was to sign people who were hungry to play for us, and that's as it should be.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we sign O'Dowda it indicates a lack of involvement of Pearson in transfer dealings. 

If the rumours are correct that he wanted a lot more money than we were prepared to pay in January, I will be appalled if the mighty Derby County caves in. It should be an honour to play for us. If he doesn't want to, let him rot in Oxford or Bristol, teams that will never amount to anything. The good thing about Clough's recruitment was to sign people who were hungry to play for us, and that's as it should be.

It indicates nothing of the sort. He is signing as a good prospect to be in and around the first team squad and a vital U21 player, which we now need a higher quality of as we are in a higher division. The U21 management is pretty much the same as January and they will be the ones who identified him.

Can you really imagine that conversation with Pearson? :lol:

'Hi Nige, we're signing this player and we don't really care if you want him or not'

As for the rest of your post, a load of arrogant entitled nonsense.

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

It indicates nothing of the sort. He is signing as a good prospect to be in and around the first team squad and a vital U21 player, which we now need a higher quality of as we are in a higher division. The U21 management is pretty much the same as January and they will be the ones who identified him.

Can you really imagine that conversation with Pearson? :lol:

'Hi Nige, we're signing this player and we don't really care if you want him or not'

As for the rest of your post, a load of arrogant entitled nonsense.

O'Dowda would command a fee of at least 1.5m. I'd be surprised if we wanted to pay that for an U21 player and disappointed if a player who's made his international bow was happy to move from first team football in League One to the U21s. If we sign him, it's for the first team squad. Since we've been trying to sign him for several months before Pearson's arrival, it's clearly not a transfer he will have instigated.

I'm surprised you think its arrogant entitled nonsense to want to sign players who are hungry to play for DCFC. We are an ambitious, hugely well-supported club with a rich and proud history, wealthy local ownership and some of the best facilities in the country. I want players to buy into the vision that they want to join a club on the up, going places, and with a chance for success. Each to their own.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

raw-tripe.jpg

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Since we've been trying to sign him for several months before Pearson's arrival, it's clearly not a transfer he will have instigated.

But we'd given up in January because of the fee, and then something changed. Could that "something" have been Pearson, who liked the player and decided he was worth it? We don't know.

I don't think this signing really offers much of a clue either way. Wait a few months or until the end of the season before we judge how much control Pearson has. The signing (or not) of O'Dowda doesn't conclusively prove anything.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

O'Dowda would command a fee of at least 1.5m. I'd be surprised if we wanted to pay that for an U21 player and disappointed if a player who's made his international bow was happy to move from first team football in League One to the U21s. If we sign him, it's for the first team squad. Since we've been trying to sign him for several months before Pearson's arrival, it's clearly not a transfer he will have instigated.

I'm surprised you think its arrogant entitled nonsense to want to sign players who are hungry to play for DCFC. We are an ambitious, hugely well-supported club with a rich and proud history, wealthy local ownership and some of the best facilities in the country. I want players to buy into the vision that they want to join a club on the up, going places, and with a chance for success. Each to their own.

Rightly or wrongly, £1.5m is actually very little these days. It's hugely important for the U21's to be competitive in the top division and so maybe the club is prepared to pay a large fee for someone to come into that side if they feel he can be a difference maker. The top clubs do it and clearly we are ambitious enough to want to join them. If he comes here then he knows that there will be a path for him if he does well enough. He won't be a starter straight away, I think that is plainly obvious seeing as he was in and out of Oxford's XI. Pearson might have had a look at him and said 'yeah he looks to have a bit of something, go ahead and sign him and he can earn his way in to my side.' One thing with NP is guaranteed and that is that no one will be an automatic place in his side.

And I do think it's important that players are hungry to play for DCFC, I don't deny that. But I think it's arrogant entitled nonsense to state that either Oxford or Bristol City won't amount to anything. BC in particular are a club with huge potential and ambition to achieve that and it would be no slight on Derby or o'Dowda if he went there.

36 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Rightly or wrongly, £1.5m is actually very little these days. It's hugely important for the U21's to be competitive in the top division and so maybe the club is prepared to pay a large fee for someone to come into that side if they feel he can be a difference maker. The top clubs do it and clearly we are ambitious enough to want to join them. If he comes here then he knows that there will be a path for him if he does well enough. He won't be a starter straight away, I think that is plainly obvious seeing as he was in and out of Oxford's XI. Pearson might have had a look at him and said 'yeah he looks to have a bit of something, go ahead and sign him and he can earn his way in to my side.' One thing with NP is guaranteed and that is that no one will be an automatic place in his side.

And I do think it's important that players are hungry to play for DCFC, I don't deny that. But I think it's arrogant entitled nonsense to state that either Oxford or Bristol City won't amount to anything. BC in particular are a club with huge potential and ambition to achieve that and it would be no slight on Derby or o'Dowda if he went there.

Agree especially with last paragraph. To slate any club is wrong on basis of suggesting we are the bigger club with more history. Every club has history including the relatively recent MK Dons. And your top clubs in Prem will regard us as a small club with few prospects on the same theory!!  Respect all football clubs, top of Prem to bottom of Conference and beyond. Surely it's what makes football in this country so interesting with such depth. 

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Tripe and onions cooked in milk was a regular when I was a kid.

There's nothing wrong with cow's tripe in vinegar and better still, chitterlings. Mmmm

As much as I would like to sign the player and think he would be a star of the future, he is a player who would be signed for the u21s, if we miss out on him I don't think it would have been a key signing for the 1st team.

My only issue is I think this player will go onto move for big money in the future. We have very limited success on speculating to accumulate, Andre Grey for 9 million seemed crazy, I'm sure he would cost the best part of 15 mil in the current market.

I remember we turned our nose up at 400k for Charlie Adam.

Maybe we take a risk financially on him, with his age and apparent ability he represents a far better risk than the crazy deal to sign Blackman.

9 minutes ago, sheepshagger123 said:

I feel if we dont sign Odowda it will be a mistake. hes shown his ability in league 2 and was a step above them all. 1.5 mill is nothing these days. id buy him loan him back to oxford for this season and then develop him into a top player.

"Was a step above them all."

He wasn't even a step above Oxford .... he started 18 games out of 46 for them last season. So he wasn't good enough to be a regular starter for Oxford yet was a step above the rest of the league? 

1 minute ago, toddy said:

He could be off to BC to team up with Tomlin, now that Villa are hoping to sign Kodjia.

Kodjia to us than Villa ??

Just now, toddy said:

It would be better all round for us if O'dowda signed for Bristol and we could sign Kodjia. :thumbsup:

Oh yes that'd be excellent all round mate. ???

Archived